Babaganoosh

So How Long do Background Checks from SP really take

Already got my FID and PP from my town last year. Approx a month ago I submitted for 3 more P2P's. The detective told me that the background checks take 6 to 8 weeks to come back from the State Police. He also told me that if I went and got fingerprinted again that it would speed up how fast the background check came back since it gets sent to them electronically. (That part actually makes a small bit of sense, but no thanks on the 60 bucks vs the 18 bucks for the background check).

Now, from being on these forums for a year, from hearing from my dad and cousin who get permits all the time just to have active ones, and from talking to various guys at ranges I KNOW that it doesn't take 6 to 8 weeks. People have gotten new P2P's in approx 2 weeks. Even 4 weeks is way less than this guy says for just the background checks alone! So even though I am armed with this knowledge I am like "Oh really?" and pretend that he knows what he is talking about. Part of me wants to see how long it takes if I don't make any phone calls to "remind" them of my permits.

Matter of fact I just looked at my folder and I dropped permit apps off on the 11th of last month. Neither of my references have been called either.

I'm gonna call in a few days and ask whats going on. If I don't like what I hear I am going to print out that statutes from the internet and make an appt to go see the detective who took my apps. I am going to show him the statutes as well as ask why he would say they take 6 to 8 weeks when my dad and cousin who live in howell get permits in 3 weeks and that I personally know people who get them in under 30. I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Ok, this post is a little bit of a story but the question remains. Does anyone actually know how long the background check takes to come back from the state police?

From the day I submitted my application for citizenship to the day I was sworn in as an American citizen was 1 month 26 days.

From the first day I turned in my application for a FPID to when I go it was 6 months 5 days.

They both needed to have a FBI background check done. So, basically NJ fucks you, they fugg you so friggin hard in the a**.

Wanna try something fun? You can go get fingerprinted and send in for your own FBI background check. You'll get it back in about 7-10 days usually. So once again NJ fucks you, fucks you so friggin hard.

fugg this state.

From the day I submitted my application for citizenship to the day I was sworn in as an American citizen was 1 month 26 days.

From the first day I turned in my application for a FPID to when I go it was 6 months 5 days.

They both needed to have a FBI background check done. So, basically NJ fucks you, they fugg you so friggin hard in the a**.

Wanna try something fun? You can go get fingerprinted and send in for your own FBI background check. You'll get it back in about 7-10 days usually. So once again NJ fucks you, fucks you so friggin hard.

fugg this state.

Does the background check go to the FBI or to the State Police? Can I use my prints I got last July to get one of the background checks? I know there is nothing on it. I would do it just to see how long it takes

it really shouldn't take that long. the shortest time i saw someone receiving their PP is 2 days. and he said that he had the same result twice. so assuming that where he lives is doing everything correctly and legally it really should not take anywhere near 6-8 weeks. but we all know that is never the case.

Link to the exact post found on this forum -> Here

Does the background check go to the FBI or to the State Police? Can I use my prints I got last July to get one of the background checks? I know there is nothing on it. I would do it just to see how long it takes

here you go, http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/background_checks have fun and make sure to post the results for the rest of us.

both, but the State police are only the middle man. The state police submit it to the FBI basically. There is no way a state police agency of any state could check someone out nationally without the FBI. So, Your 18 bucks you pay for the background check isn't even going to the NJSP, that's just paying the fee to the feds. Damn when you think about it this unconstitutional, shitty, fucked up, piece of **** system here really is a waste of a lot of tax payers money.

I got my address changed which got me a new FPID card, and two pistol permits in 3 weeks. Also, the man who handles firearms paperwork only works 2 days a week at my PD. There is no reason your PD should be taking 6-8 weeks, I think you should call them out on it. If they refuse to comply, then call the SP.

On the FBI page, from the link provided, it states "up to six weeks" - that however is in reference to personally submitted requests for a criminal background check. I would assume that these requests are the lowest priority, thus the greatest amount of time. Requests submitted through the state police or the investigative bureaus of any given state are submitted electronically and would be given priority over civilian requests.

I have a friend that is a retired NJSP and he's told me that it is usually a matter of days - not weeks - for your local PD to get a response from the SP about both the state and federal background checks.

Why do they keep blowing smoke up our a$$es?????????

Adios,

Pizza Bob

FBI background checks can be completed in one day if there is a reason for the rush. Typical time frame is a couple days to two weeks

When i spoke to the NJSP they basically said the same thing, a couple days, maybe a week if there backed up.. The delays come from somewhere else, its just easy for the PD to blame it on the BG check since there is no way to tell if it's done yet.

The delays come from somewhere else, its just easy for the PD to blame it on the BG check since there is no way to tell if it's done yet.

I would hazard a guess that some police departments only send the criminal history checks for firearms applications once a month instead of as they come in. The fact is the local PD is just as capable of doing the same check themselves but the legislature wants it done centrally. I think NJSP would just as soon let local PDs do it as they have plenty to do as it is.

The delays come from somewhere else, its just easy for the PD to blame it on the BG check since there is no way to tell if it's done yet.

I would hazard a guess that some police departments only send the criminal history checks for firearms applications once a month instead of as they come in. The fact is the local PD is just as capable of doing the same check themselves but the legislature wants it done centrally. I think NJSP would just as soon let local PDs do it as they have plenty to do as it is.

I archived my NJDE file a week and half ago and it was cleared on the 11th..... that took 3 days for them to do a background check...

New Jersey Department of education lets you archive your file for background checks automatically, theres no reason the state police cannot do this for the local PD's, you submit an archive online on there website, pay the fee, and off it goes...when it clears they send a letter to your PD... why the PD has to ask for it is beyond me. Also you check the status of the BG check... so you know if and when it clears.

We have a great system is place that the Education department uses for state and fbi checks, why oh why they don't use it for firearms is absolutely beyond me...

So far the only issue with bg checks...like u said, is the fact that some PD's wait and wait to submit the archive. They cannot offer up the excuse that BG check did not come in on time when there not sending them out in a timely manner. If i had to guess, if your waiting 3+ months, they probably do them ever 3 months.

Jack,

This very same US government has run close to 6 background checks on me in the past 2 years. Each VA hospital requires its own background check. The GSA requires another background check. The FBI requires yet another background check.

Your taxpayer dollars hard at work.

Fired off a letter to the State Police Firearms Investigation Unit. I'll post the reply. If I don't get a reply by Friday I will call them. A little harder to ignore that.

Luckily I don't have am immediate need for my permits. I can take my time gathering info in the meantime. I am at day 35 waiting for my permits and would normally call today but I am curious to see how long this takes.

Jack,

This very same US government has run close to 6 background checks on me in the past 2 years. Each VA hospital requires its own background check. The GSA requires another background check. The FBI requires yet another background check.

Your taxpayer dollars hard at work.

And i was upset they asked me to do two in the same year.. i feel for ya man. I had one done in September changed schools and they said it was out of date...I also had to pay morphtrack twice and get fingerprinted twice 1 for firearms 1 for EDU, so stupid.. I have paid over 200 bucks in the past year just for FBI and State checks.... and they say their broke..

In all honesty, it SHOULDNT take any more than the 30 days allowable by law..and THAT is allowing for delays for the References to reply, State Police, and Mental health checks. Now, there are Times when all of that gets slowed down legitimately, for example, when OGAM was passed, or Obama was Elected, and people went nuts getting permits and FID cards, anticipating another ban. Also especially with the smaller departments, they dont have someone assigned to do firearms All the time. it's tacked onto their Identification guys, or a detective, who also has his own caseload to work as well as the firearms apps. Add to that Chiefs who direct that permitc can only be sent out at certain intervals, certain days of the month, or only after so many accumulate, and thats what causes the delays..and im not even counting the Chiefs/PSD's who are just Anti-gun completely ahd wont sign anything without a fight in hopes the applicant will just go away. For all of Chief Comey's faults (Jersey City) and his silly comments after Marc Dinardo's death, JCPD had a turnaround time of 3 weeks max, but then again they have someone assigned who's ONLY duty is to handle firearms stuff.