The better question is what are you looking for out of a sling? Personally I find one point slings to be evil, drop your rifle in the sling and try to run or move while shooting a handgun. As far as I can tell there are two possible rifle positions: the one where the barrel hits in the knees and the one where it hits you in the crotch. I find both suboptimal.

I much prefer 2 point slings. If you have your heart set on a one point sling, then I recommend the magpul one, because it can become a 2 point sling if you change your mind.

I like the idea of the Magpul MS-series of slings, as it can go from single to two point. There are some others with the same design, but their names elude me right now.

I do think 2-pt has its advantages, the most being that its comfortable especially if you're wearing your rifle for a long time. When I have run a two-point, I never subscribed to all that weird strappage stuff with wrapping my arms around this or that to create a better stance-- so, for me that is a moot point. Also though, to my first point, chances are you won't be humping around a rifle much, so the major advantage of a 2 pt goes out the window. But again, its preference, and I'm only speaking from my applied experience.

As for dropping a rifle with a 1pt. If I am transitioning from a rifle to pistol, the last thing I'm going to worry about is banging up my knees or jewels-- I'm just focused on getting my secondary up (but I'm not speaking from say a competition perspective, so, I can't comment on that). I do run a sling that does swing to the side when it is dropped in a transition. Its not the best design in the world, but it functions just fine.

Regarding the bungee in slings, its not a terrible idea, but I do prefer a single point without the bungee. Having that bungee is great for weak-side transitions, but otherwise it can just be annoying. And anyway, a good sling won't have the issue where bungee is required-- the sling should be tight, but mobile enough to move around if need be (if you're going to get choked by it eventually anyway).

Its all preference though. I think the Magpul series is a good option because it welcomes the advantages of both 1 and 2 pt slings (3 pt slings are relics, and shouldn't even be considered anymore).

As for dropping a rifle with a 1pt. If I am transitioning from a rifle to pistol, the last thing I'm going to worry about is banging up my knees or jewels-- I'm just focused on getting my secondary up (but I'm not speaking from say a competition perspective, so, I can't comment on that).

Its not a competition thing, I just can't imagine a circumstance in which I want to move with a rifle banging around my knees. Carrying something or someone, operating something, etc. The only advantage I can see for a 1 point vs 2 point is quicker off hand transitions, am I missing some hidden advantage of it? With a bit of practice transitions work just fine with 2 point.

I do agree that I use the sling as a carry strap with benefits not as a shooting aid, most current slings aren't really suited for it anyway.

Oh ok, I didn't know if there was some hidden competitive shooting secret, Vlad :icon_e_wink:. Speaking from experience, if an user has to run with the rifle slung (with a single point), they're going to throw it to one side or another. They would do the same if they were climbing something, or performing some administrative task. Would a 2pt be better in a task like this? Yes, definitely.

Still, one would have to consider why a person is utilizing a single point to began with, and in a lot of cases speed > mostly everything else. So, if its a bit more of a pain to throw the rifle to the side, it comes with that trade off.

The only advantage I can see for a 1 point vs 2 point is quicker off hand transitions, am I missing some hidden advantage of it? With a bit of practice transitions work just fine with 2 point.

I can only speak for myself, but, no matter how many times I've tried using a two point, I just can't get past the feeling that I'm about to choke myself when trying to switch shoulders. Admittedly, I may switch shoulders more than many people do, simply because I'm cross dominant and have gotten to the point where I will use whatever shoulder affords me a particular advantage at the time... so for me, the ability to quickly switch shoulders is important enough that I will put up with a certain amount of knee and/or nut banging. I do try to move the weapon off to the side to avoid the banging, but, I'd be lying if I said I always succeeded.

And while we're on the subject, I'll just throw in a couple opinions on the MS2. As a single point it's great. As a two point, it's mediocre. IMHO, the two point feature on the MS2 is mostly there to allow easier "administrative duties"... in my case, that generally means I'm standing around waiting for my turn to step up to the line. When I get to the line, I'll switch back to single point mode.

I use a Tactical Link single point sing w the Z-360 mount. I really like it.

They have a new sling that converts for single/2 point use that seems to be the best of both worlds. Nice piece of gear.

http://www.tacticallink.com/Convertible_Tactical_Slings.html

Jeff

My MS2 is......ok. The horkin fiber chunk clip on one end makes it a no go on some of my rifles. Im going to give this sling a try. http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/11/29/huskey-amentum-slider-sling/

I havent found a single point sling to be very usefull. For those choking themselves when transitioning, if your stock allows, clip it to the right side of the stock. That way when you transition, it gives you the needed slack.

My MS2 is......ok. The horkin fiber chunk clip on one end makes it a no go on some of my rifles. Im going to give this sling a try. http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/11/29/huskey-amentum-slider-sling/

I havent found a single point sling to be very usefull. For those choking themselves when transitioning, if your stock allows, clip it to the right side of the stock. That way when you transition, it gives you the needed slack.

You talking about the rear side or the front side clip?

I'm betting he means the front which is a bit chunky. I like the idea of the MS2 myself and I own one but it does need a big loop upfront, the strap is a bit thin which is probably fine if you plant to carry it over armor or LBE but gets a bit annoying over a tshirt for a long day. I'm curious if the MS3 hooks are better shaped.

If I was going to buy a new sling right now it would probably be a VTAC.

I have two vtac 2 points and OSOE single point and 2 point. They all work.

Single point is faster transition, two point more secure if your going to be doing administrative task and need te use of both hands.

I went the Blackhawk! single point sling since I'm 6'4" and the rifle never goes low enough to come close to the ground if I have to switch to secondary.

BUT, I'm looking into a 2-point sling on my next AR.