Lillith

A British Trophy Pistol or..?

Guest schutzen-jager

what caliber ? - looks like a martini rifle converted to a pistol -

Used to protect against lions and such off of elephants in india or something crazy like that, I believe generically called "howdah" pistols

Edit:

"The term "howdah pistol" comes from the howdah, a large saddle mounted on the back of an elephant. Hunters, especially during the period of the British Raj in India, used howdahs as a platform for hunting wild animals and needed large-calibre side-arms for protection from animal attacks.[2]

The first howdah pistols were little more than sawn-off rifles,[2] typically in .577 Snider[3] or .577/450 Martini-Henry calibre."

Used to protect against lions and such off of elephants in india or something crazy like that, I believe generically called "howdah" pistols

Edit:

"The term "howdah pistol" comes from the howdah, a large saddle mounted on the back of an elephant. Hunters, especially during the period of the British Raj in India, used howdahs as a platform for hunting wild animals and needed large-calibre side-arms for protection from animal attacks.[2]

The first howdah pistols were little more than sawn-off rifles,[2] typically in .577 Snider[3] or .577/450 Martini-Henry calibre."

Agreed Glenn Looks like an aka "Tower"/howdah pistol. Converted from a Martini rifle. BTW it was tigers not lions...

Agreed Glenn Looks like an aka "Tower"/howdah pistol. Converted from a Martini rifle. BTW it was tigers not lions...

... or bears. Oh, my.

Well, somebody has to say it: If this is indeed converted from a Martini actioned rifle (and it certainly looks that way), aren't there some legal issues? Especially since this is NJ where at some point water pistols will probably be considered firearms. Maybe some federal issues also? Just asking.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, somebody has to say it: If this is indeed converted from a Martini actioned rifle (and it certainly looks that way), aren't there some legal issues? Especially since this is NJ where at some point water pistols will probably be considered firearms. Maybe some federal issues also? Just asking.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Don't know, but it's not an SBR since it doesn't have a stock. It's more than likely an antique (at least federally) since those were made before 1898.

Guest schutzen-jager

Adios,

Pizza Bob

if imported as a pistol it is legal - if converted in usa with out atf form , approval , + tax payment it is illegal - if manufactured prior to 1898 it is legal in either form under federal law but not nj law - i think that it is too crude to be a howdah pistol - caliber is probably .450//577 martini - see if chamber is bottle necked -

if imported as a pistol it is legal - if converted in usa with out atf form , approval , + tax payment it is illegal - if manufactured prior to 1898 it is legal in either form under federal law but not nj law - i think that it is too crude to be a howdah pistol - caliber is probably .450//577 martini - see if chamber is bottle necked -

We're in Europe :D but nobody actually answered my questions :) but thats alright too and thank you all anyway ^_^

Guest schutzen-jager

We're in Europe :D but nobody actually answered my questions :) but thats alright too and thank you all anyway ^_^

with out more detailed information or detailed close up picture it's impossible to do - all i can tell you is that it is a martini henry style action , they were made from late 1800's till well into the 1900's -