Luke_WO

Buying Out of State

I just picked up my initial FID today. Now the only thing I have to worry about is what to buy. Pretty good problem to have. But my question is about where I'm able to purchase a gun. As an example, I know there's a huge Cabela's store out in Pennsylvania, and I would consider going out there to have a look because I'm sure their selection is massive. Can anyone help me out in telling me if it's legal/illegal to use a NJ FID card to purchase a gun in another state?

I just picked up my initial FID today. Now the only thing I have to worry about is what to buy. Pretty good problem to have. But my question is about where I'm able to purchase a gun. As an example, I know there's a huge Cabela's store out in Pennsylvania, and I would consider going out there to have a look because I'm sure their selection is massive. Can anyone help me out in telling me if it's legal/illegal to use a NJ FID card to purchase a gun in another state?

Just so you know, there is a Firearms Price check on this web site after you decide what you want, I would give our local shops and FFL's first crack at your purchase. Can't have too many places to buy guns and the more that are local the better and that doesn't happen without us

Harry

Say that local/NJ dealer is unable to match prices and we would end up purchasing a firearm online/out of state.

What can/should we expect during the process of buying online or out of state?

1 - Is there a real difference as to which NJ FFL dealer to choose to ship the firearm to for transfer? (besides financial) I see different dealers offer various rates for transfers fees (anywhere from $25 to $100 + nics)

1.5 - for transfers, do FFL dealers charge tax on the firearm? or just transfer fee plus nics? (i understand that out of state purchase tax is to be paid when filing state income tax)

2 - any common problems or misunderstandings or misconceptions when dealing with online purchases?

3 - what good questions to ask the FFL dealers before choosing one?

4 - say If the firearm is not as described or clearly damaged, is it ever a problem of not taking possession?

thanks in advance

- Omar

1.5 - for transfers, do FFL dealers charge tax on the firearm? or just transfer fee plus nics? (i understand that out of state purchase tax is to be paid when filing state income tax)

found answer to this here:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18080-buying-out-of-state-tax-questions/

good morning! if it is your first time to purchase, i would go to local firearm stores. as long as you have all your paper work, i'm sure they will help you out with your questions and purchase. if you are stll shopping and can't decide, like the other folks here in the forum would suggest that you go to a range/gun store where they rent out guns for you to try it first. this will help you decide which firearm to purchase. (FID, coe-long gun purchase. permit to purchase a handgun,FID-to purchase a handgun.) goodluck!

Cabela's prices aren't any better than the shops in NJ. Some shops have better deals on certain guns, so just do a little visiting. You won't regret looking at all the guns you can for a few days.

I thought the best deals were online too, until I did more research. I got the same gun at an NJ shop for the same price but didn't have to pay transfer fees or shipping! Plus it's always good to get to know the local shop guys, they can be quite helpful.

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend using the firearms price request on the forum. A lot of the dealers on this site can beat prices you find from many major retailers and prices online. Also, if buying online could be more expensive than goin to a shop. You have to remember that when buying online that even if you find a good price you still have to get it shipped and transfered to you. Meaning that whatever the site charges for shipping plus pay for the transfer. That could mean another 70 bucks tacked on to what you paid for the gun.

And don't forget about the marketplace on this site. There's usually a lot of good stuff on there. That's how I bout more than half the guns I own.

When you do narrow it down to a dozen or so guns on your wish list, as I did, do yourself a favor and get in touch with both Paul at Arms N' Ammo, and Ira at Legend Firearms. You'll find details on the vendors' section of this site.

Good luck!

Scott

Cabelas is proud of their guns. So-so place to shop, terrible place to buy. Unless you are gaming the system with Cabellas card/points/coupons and specials. I know people that seem to do well that way but they never tell me how much money they have to continuously waste on overpriced stuff to get that one deal every few months.

Buy local, support is local. Buy online, support may be found online. Most online vendors sell cheap but offer no after sales support, they just tell you to send it back to the manufacturer if there is a problem, now you have to visit your local FFL (which you did not buy the gun from) and have them ship it back for you.

I like to buy local to support our local vendors. If I have a question or problem, I have a person to go to, sometimes the fix is a simple adjustment and if it has to go back, they will send it back to the manufactured for me.

This is not an inexpensive hobby, if saving $5.00 really make a big difference to you, I think you should find something else to occupy your free time. I have had the best service and pricing from Shore Shot and TJ Sporting arms (both supporting vendors), you may want to check out their sites and see if they can find what you are looking for. Just my .02

thanks. I'm all for supporting local. Already talked to dealers here, and done the price request. For my 1st FA i'll grab locally as the deals online are not any better considering ffl fees. the 2nd pistol, however, the difference is significant(after ffl fees.) SS agreed to transfer as they'd make more on transfer than by matching the price.

Mainly, i wasn't sure what to expect when buying online.

thank you everyone for your advice.

When you do narrow it down to a dozen or so guns on your wish list, as I did, do yourself a favor and get in touch with both Paul at Arms N' Ammo, and Ira at Legend Firearms. You'll find details on the vendors' section of this site.

Good luck!

Scott

I have dealt with Both Paul and Ira but don't forget Tony, all 2 are great with there customers and deserve our support. Just wish I had more time, money so I could buy more from them.

Harry

Cabela's prices aren't any better than the shops in NJ. Some shops have better deals on certain guns, so just do a little visiting. You won't regret looking at all the guns you can for a few days.

I thought the best deals were online too, until I did more research. I got the same gun at an NJ shop for the same price but didn't have to pay transfer fees or shipping! Plus it's always good to get to know the local shop guys, they can be quite helpful.

Cabela's prices aren't all that economical, Mosin Nagant they had for 150, I got at Hackettstown Guns and Ammo for 100 + tax and NICS but still cheape and I saved on gas.

Cabela's prices aren't all that economical, Mosin Nagant they had for 150, I got at Hackettstown Guns and Ammo for 100 + tax and NICS but still cheape and I saved on gas.

I just drove past that shop in Hackettstown and didn't get a chance to stop in since it was after hours. How was it?

As others have said... the hidden costs to buying out of state are:

1. Gas and tolls

2. Admission fees if buying at Gun shows

3. Shipping of handgun to NJ Dealer, plus transfer and nics (handguns must be shipped air)

95% of the guns I purchase are either used from the Marketplace or new/used from our local vendors. They are top notch people whom not only support the forum and our shooting communities, but... without any hesitation I can promise you that these fine folks actually care about making sure you are happy with your purchase, and are more interested in a long term relationship than just making a quick $100 off of you and never seeing you again.

The other 5% of the times that I do buy firearms... they are either...

1. Rare or collectible item that I ran across, (such as new unissued Russian SKS, for a great price in a Florida gun shop while on business)

2. a Used purchase for a price too good to give up (such as on other gun forums)

For NEW, or common used items, there is almost no reason to shop elsewhere. Use the price request, and make it easy.

3. Shipping of handgun to NJ Dealer, plus transfer and nics (handguns must be shipped air)

Only private individuals need to ship handguns by air. A FFL can ship handguns via the USPS