TheMan

NJ LEE Exam Scores

Hiring process is quite easy actually. I just took the latest test (only for corrections) and for the hell of it. It would be a huge pay cut if i took it. But with overtime and A LOT less benefits out of my pocket, it could work. I scored a 97.5 and have not had a call yet. Veterans deserve the preference as long as they are qualified. I am a Vet, but a non combat vet, so it does not help me. The test is given every two years i believe, and your score is good for 2 years. Most guys that get disqualified with a high score have something in their past they either were not honest about, or the state did not like. A lot harder to find a position right now, impossible, no. If i was young and single, i would be hitting nay other state that is hiring!

You dont have to be a "Combat Vet" per se, you do have to be in a particular theater for a certain amount of time. one of your Vet Status guys was on a carrier in the Gulf, at the other end from where actual operations were going on. Chekc the rules and see where you served and at what times, you might be surprised.

Already there man - except for me it's Paterson instead of Crapden.

True..but i was going in a slightly different direction..the services you get from your own town are going to end up watered down, where the 30% or so of your property taxes now go to the County, that will jump to whatever portion goes to your town for Public Safety, and you'll get a lot less in return.

Unfortunately that is a rather simplistic view of the law enforcement industry in my opinion, and let us not forget that it is indeed an industry. Leo's today have to pay their way for the most part and many a suburban force would flounder if not for the extra revenue generated by tickets.... For good or bad is infinitely debatable but it has become a matter of fact, the vast majority of those on the job disagree and rightly so... simply because they didn't sign up for that duty in the academies but there they are.... estatz revenue collectors

Some get bitter and embrace the us against them attitude simply as a defense mechanism, some adopt a robocop stance out of insecurity but most go to work every day just trying to house, clothe and feed their families.

I unfortunately seem to attract Robocops....Oh well.

One SMALL problem with that premise....only 15% of fine revenues from State Statute MV violations stay with the Municipality to cover Court Costs..the rest of it goes to the state. Where other states, the ticket money DOES go to the Town's coffers, NJ is different. As for the Inspection sticker stuff..those are usually done by OFF-duty Officers working off of direct grants from the state for enforcement, Just like DUI Patrols/Roadblocks, Click-it-or Ticket patrols, and any other "Special" enforcement efforts. Towns generate revenue NOT through LE enforcement of State Statutes but through Town Ordinance/Code Cnforcement and health Dept summonses. NOW If you find a PD that issues primarily Town Ordinances, then YES they are playign the revenue game..as one town in Passaic County did when they replicated the entire MV code, less DUI and Reckless in their Town Ordinances.

One SMALL problem with that premise....only 15% of fine revenues from State Statute MV violations stay with the Municipality to cover Court Costs..the rest of it goes to the state. Where other states, the ticket money DOES go to the Town's coffers, NJ is different. As for the Inspection sticker stuff..those are usually done by OFF-duty Officers working off of direct grants from the state for enforcement, Just like DUI Patrols/Roadblocks, Click-it-or Ticket patrols, and any other "Special" enforcement efforts. Towns generate revenue NOT through LE enforcement of State Statutes but through Town Ordinance/Code Cnforcement and health Dept summonses. NOW If you find a PD that issues primarily Town Ordinances, then YES they are playign the revenue game..as one town in Passaic County did when they replicated the entire MV code, less DUI and Reckless in their Town Ordinances.

Thanks... Now I know.

I took the exam back in december. I thought I did pretty well. I definitely took my time, read the questions carefully, and my score was not the least bit impressive.

Could someone explain how the scoring system works and what kinds of answers they are looking for?

many a suburban force would flounder if not for the extra revenue generated by tickets....

This fallacy really gets me angry. If a suburban town has so little need for policing that it would flounder without excessive, unnecessary traffic ticket revenue, then it seems as though that town perhaps does not need such a large police force.

I live in a small town, have been living here for almost three decades, and I think in all that time I've heard of one fistfight in a bar and a couple burglaries. Saw a nasty motorcycle accident once. But see, my town is only like 2 miles wide, and yet the PD has 4 brand new SUVs, a bunch of cars, undercover cars, a frickin ambulance/tow truck police thingy, all for a place that probably would be just fine with maybe 3 cop cars for the whole town.

• Like 1

I took the exam back in december. I thought I did pretty well. I definitely took my time, read the questions carefully, and my score was not the least bit impressive.

Could someone explain how the scoring system works and what kinds of answers they are looking for?

Not sure how they score them but i think all those psychological questions at the end play a hugh factor. Alot of guys who took it in my unit feel they did very well too. The psychological questions are scored based on your responses which will determine the type of officer an individual will be. I have no source for this. I just asked around and people say the psychological questions are what plays a hugh factor on the score; idk if thats true or not.

Oh boo-freakin-hoo

Your health insurance is only 10% of your salary and that's a bad thing?

Your pension is small? That's funny, half the private sector doesn't even know what a pension is anymore :lol:

the general public in the private sector doesn't deal with scumbags all day with all kinds of diseases (not talking about routine MV stops), the private sector worker generally doesn't put their a** in harms way to protect yours. we deserve a pension and free medical especially since that is what has been promised to us. when you go to work, and have to deal with people who may potentially kill or try to kill you and it's part of your job description then you have a right to comment. come work some shifts in our shoes and see how you change your tune when your going to a call that you have no idea what the potential outcome could be.

• Like 1

I could really give two shits buddy. All the cops in my town and the surrounding towns are just meter-maids or ticket machines anyway. Hey, lay em off what do I care, less of a hassle if I park in the wrong spot :lol:

wow, unbelievable

and your very helpful comments have what exactly to do with this thread other than being a douche?

I'll agree, it will be tough for all but the top candidates to get jobs in LE, for the near future, at least in NJ. You point out the cyclic boom & bust of that industry, say since the early 90s crack/War on drugs-->recession-->Clinton 100K cops-->photo ops with Chiefs & union honchos for eager pols who spread the wealth-->expansion in late 90s as economy booming-->9/11 & GWOT $$ --->expansion of Fed LEOs & setup of DHS--->Katrina-->1st wave of retirements-->pension fund robbery by same photo op pols-->recession slashing tax revenue-->2nd wave of retirements-->pay cuts/givebacks/layoffs--->response times go up-->people complain-->money appears with smiling pols being 'tough on crime'--->expansion-->rinse & repeat

There's other factors too,an aging population in the US is one that never seems to get a lot of attention as a factor. Old people don't do (much) crime, and they vote and want to keep taxes down. And want money spent for their needs, like medicare, etc. Given a more limited pot of tax moolah in the forseeable future, the oldsters will vote young whippersnapper cops out of work and all you overpaid,underworked teachers (I keed) as well, to keep Medicare & subsidized pharma. This is happening where I live in Jackson and a lesser extent in Lakewood. I still think this will all improve quite a bit whenever the economy picks up, and tax revenue increases because of that. But who knows when that'll be.

That was my point Jack. Not "Crying" as some would put it, but making sure these guys know the realities of what the job is becoming. Reduction, and Consolidation. Camden is a harbinger of what is coming...All of the "Nice Communities" are going to get diddley for their tax dollars, while the majority gets funneled into Camden and it's surrounding war zone. nobody wants a cop around..until of course THEY need one..then they want them RIGHT NOW. My Dept went through this in the mid 1990s, we were attrited of a full quarter of our manpower, and as a result cal times went up, services were reduced or eliminated, and the taxpayers were pissed..by the end of 2012 it will be the same way again, and my agency will be seeing a 100% restructuring, and a lot of the communi9ty service stuff people take for granted will no longer be done.

Not sure how they score them but i think all those psychological questions at the end play a hugh factor. Alot of guys who took it in my unit feel they did very well too. The psychological questions are scored based on your responses which will determine the type of officer an individual will be. I have no source for this. I just asked around and people say the psychological questions are what plays a hugh factor on the score; idk if thats true or not.

That makes some sense; it probably is true to some degree. That's probably where I filled in the less than ideal answers. Still disappointing, though, knowing that with my score I won't even be considered. :(