msg73

Transporting HG to a range in NY?

I live in Bergen County and called the Firing Line range in Pearl River NY. They said it's ok for me to bring my handgun over the border to their range. They said it's legal under one of these conditions: 1) i can bring it there for display or to sell. 2) they are certified firearms instructors and I can be taking a firearms class.

Does this sound legit?

I live in Bergen County and called the Firing Line range in Pearl River NY. They said it's ok for me to bring my handgun over the border to their range. They said it's legal under one of these conditions: 1) i can bring it there for display or to sell. 2) they are certified firearms instructors and I can be taking a firearms class.

Does this sound legit?

No.

There are only two reason you can legally have a handgun in NY as a NJ resident. 1. Olympic event. 2. An NRA event in which you are a participant and have the registration materials on you.

All other reasons are illegal. Let me repeat that, ALL OTHER REASONS ARE ILLEGAL!

It amazes me how little these ranges know of the laws.

I suspect the fellows at the Firing Line do know the laws. They would rather not turn away potential business. And it's no skin off their knuckles if someone were to get pulled over leaving their establishment heading back to N.J., only a mile away.

I recently got a NJ compliant M&P 15-22. Would that be legal in NY? Also, what's the deal with mag capacity in NY...10rd or 15rd max?

Firing Line is only 10 min from my house and it would be great to at least be able to shoot the 15-22 there. I'll have to stick with the Bullet Hole for the HG...at least until the new range in Morris County opens up!

Thanks,

Mike

I recently got a NJ compliant M&P 15-22. Would that be legal in NY? Also, what's the deal with mag capacity in NY...10rd or 15rd max?

Firing Line is only 10 min from my house and it would be great to at least be able to shoot the 15-22 there. I'll have to stick with the Bullet Hole for the HG...at least until the new range in Morris County opens up!

Thanks,

Mike

10 round max in NY. There is some pre-ban stuff out there, but don't risk it. Stick to 10 and you're good to go.

Your 15-22 is fine. Long guns don't require any special permission from the state of NY.

Looks like 10rd mags are the max:

It is a class D felony to manufacture, transport, dispose of, or possess a large capacity ammunition

feeding device, which N.Y. Penal Law § 265.00(23) defines as "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip,

or similar device" manufactured after September 13, 1994, "that has a capacity of, or that can be

readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition." Section 265.02.

Caveat: 10+ rd mags are legal if they were manufactured pre-ban (9/13/1994)

If the OP is taking a firearms class, and that class is given by NRA instructors, and it's a NRA class wouldn't that fall into the exceptions?

Since I also live pretty close to the Firing Line in Pearl River I actually inquired about taking a handgun there from NJ, and that is how they explained that it was legal to do.

But I don't want to go before a judge to explain that.

you cant even pass through ny with a handgun traveling to vacation in another state?

You can under FOPA. NY can still jack you up though. Be very cautious transporting handguns through New York, your only protection is that you are traveling under the FOPA rules which means it must be legal at both the origin and destination and there are no legal destinations inside of NY(cept the previously mentioned exceptions).