PDM

Mosin Nagant Safety?

About six months ago I bought a Mosin from Buds' Gun shop on a whim -- it cost roughly $100 plus a $35 transfer fee. Rifle looks to be in pretty good shape -- decent stock and bore looks pretty clean. I field stripped, cleaned off the cosmoline, polished up the stock, checked the firing pin protrusion, and reassembled. The bolt is really, really sticky -- I can't open or close it without conisderable force. I am wary of firing it -- I know that they often have sticky bolts but am afraid there is a headspacing problem or some other problem that is causing the bolt to stick even before being fired. I read somewhere that if the bolt sticks when the rifle is clean their may be a headspace issue and should be checked by a gunsmith. I'm not interested in putting more money into a surplus gun that will be fired once a year at the range, if that.

Anyone have any views as to whether I should be concerned? Basically, I don't really feel like risking having a rifle blow up in my face and am giving serious thought to selling it or trading it to someone more knowledgeable and comfortable than I am with surplus firearms.

So I gather that people aren't concerned about the bolt stickiness from a safety standpoint?

I don't think anyone said that, I would say if it doesn't feel right don't shoot it, either try the fix that was posted here or bring it someplace to have it looked at. Also if you know someone who also has a Mosin and trust there opinion, have them take a look and let you know what they think. Either way, I would not ever fire a gun that was in questionable shape.

Harry

You would want to get the headspace checked or do it yourself before firing. Pay a smith to do it, or you can pick up a set of coin-type shims (or borrow someone's) specifically for 7.62x54R, they make it easy. Such as these here.

Thanks all. On reflection, I am going to try to unload this thing, with the 100 rds of ammo I bought, even at a loss. I just don't want to be bothered or take any chances. Maybe a local gunshop will take it off my hands for $50 in store credit.

One of my 44's was really sticky, to the point I carried a stick to help slam it open. The receiver and bolt are strong and likely will withstand an ignition if it is a headspace problem. I cleaned mine multiple times with little change. The thread about using a lapping compound is a good one, I personally took the bolt apart and fit tested each part. If it was tight I sanded it. If it was really tight I dremmeled it then finished with sand paper. After each part fit nicely I cleaned the heck out of it then polished every part. I also smoothed the inside of the receiver and polished that. Now the bolt cycles wonderfully and after 70+ rounds it hasn't blown up in my face.

To cover my rump: if your not comfortable have a smith look at it. If a smith has the headspace gauges it will only take a minute to check, kick him a 20 and you will have piece of mind.

Thanks all. On reflection, I am going to try to unload this thing, with the 100 rds of ammo I bought, even at a loss. I just don't want to be bothered or take any chances. Maybe a local gunshop will take it off my hands for $50 in store credit.

You should have someone from these forums who is familiar with Mosins try out the rifle at a range with you. What feels strange to you may be normal, or they may be easily able to determine a problem.

Thanks guys for all the replies. And no worries, I'm a big boy and would never thinking of deeming anyone responsible for free advice on a public forum. I may ask around a bit more or see if I can find someone at Cherry Ridge next time I'm there who has some familiarity. I will not shoot the gun if there is any doubt as to safety. And yes, I did a complete disassembly -- removed the barrel, bolt and magazine, disassembled the bolt, cleaned it and all metal parts in boiling water and hoppes, reassembled the bolt and checked the firing pin protrusion with the Mosin tool, cleaned the stock using odorless mineral spirits, followed by a polishing with Scratch x and Howard's feed and wax.

A few people PMd me with interest in buying. Not 100% sure if I want to sell. If I decide to sell I will respond in order requests were received. I'm in Bergen County.