Sign in to follow this  
BlackOps Badger

Canada

Anybody ever been up there hunting? I'm going on a trip up there to hunt black bear in the spring. I know I have to bring my own rifle which is legal with the correct forms, but does anyone know what the gun laws are up there? I was thinking about taking my Mosin M44 but am wondering about the legality of the bayonet on it. Tried finding it online but had no luck. Going to Cooper Camp. Anyone ever hear of it? Cooper Camp

I want to hunt bear with my Mosin M44 that just happens to have a bayonet.

SOOO.... your going on a $2000 Canadian hunt and your going to bring a $200 milsurp rifle with iron sights? It'll definitely kill a bear no problem..... if you hit it...... but if you miss, you'll never live it down.

Well, not all of us can afford a $2000 precision rifle. Let alone spend that kind of money on a rifle that I'm only gonna use once. I'll hunt with what I have. And an M44 is what I have. Let me worry about whether or not I hit anything.

You can get a nice Tikka for $500 and a decent scope for $200 - $300, and you don't plan on ever going hunting again (outside NJ) in your entire life?

I only mention missing because I missed a big buck in PA some time ago because I was using open sights. That lesson only cost me $101. for the hunting license at the time.

things (like firing pins) start to get a little worn after 60+ years, personally i would want something a little more modern and powerful. if you don't drop a 500 lb bear on the first shot you may not get a second.

What would be better? I've never hunted black bear before so I don't know anything really. I figured the 7.62x54 would be plenty.

You can get a nice Tikka for $500 and a decent scope for $200 - $300, and you don't plan on ever going hunting again (outside NJ) in your entire life?

I only mention missing because I missed a big buck in PA some time ago because I was using open sights. That lesson only cost me $101. for the hunting license at the time.

I don't really plan that far ahead. I haven't even hunted deer since around 2005 - 2006. I only really ever turkey hunt. And when I did hunt deer it was always with my Dad's old Thompson Center flintlock. I don't really have any issues personally using iron sights. Also from what I gather they stick you up in a tree about 60 - 75 yrds from the bait cans. If I can't hit a bear even at 100yds with a Mosin then there's a bigger issue than just the gun there. Lol.

Your guide should detail all the specifics for transport and what's legal there. Keep in mind that most guides will look at you funny if you show up in camp with a shiny new rifle. Better to show up with one you are proficient with that has ample power for a killing shot. And don't be surprised if they ask you to show your proficiency with it prior to going afield, particularly if you're using the stock open sights. (Be doubly concerned if the guide DOESN'T seem concerned about your choice in weapon or proficiency. That measures how concerned he is with getting you your bear.) The cartridge you are using is more than adequate. Use a good stout premium bullet that will penetrate as much bear as possible yet mushroom in a controlled fashion. Chances are, your range will be measured in feet rather than yards as you'll be shooting over bait. Spring means thick foliage up there, so picking a clear shot through a lane may sometimes be difficult. Prepare yourself for the worst possible shooting scenarios, for shots you will be presented with are never ideal.

My half brother lives and hunts in Canada. They are really anal about handguns and are all about the 'rules' for bringing in long guns. They aren't anti-hunters, just anal about over regulations. I know $$$ is tight for you, (trust me I am squeezed at the moment), but you can pick up a real nice used 30-06 with a decent scope real cheap now because of the economy. How good are you with iron sights in fog or heavy rain?

Plus '06 ammo is cheap as well. Check out any place that has some consignment rifles and make a low ball offer on the 'asking' price, you might be surprised...just say'in. For those that doubt the '06, I read someplace that more big game in North America has been taken with that then any other caliber. If it is on this continent, a well placed 180g 30-06 round can take it down....might need a follow up for big Kodiak bears. They are the exception however.

Bug spray and a bug head net might also make your trip more enjoyable.

things (like firing pins) start to get a little worn after 60+ years, personally i would want something a little more modern and powerful. if you don't drop a 500 lb bear on the first shot you may not get a second.

Since when does steel wear away just because of age? If stored properly like most were they are in like-new condition. I had a trapdoor from 1873 and its firing pin didnt "wear away" after 138 years.

The mosin will be enough gun. Beware of the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it! Practice with it and go get 'em! 7.62x54r is a little more stout than .308

I did not go to the guides website, but it would be very cool to take a bear with a mosin.. most shots are under 100yds if you are hunting from a tree stand the mosin would be something diffrent for sure..

If you are stalking and making long shots something with a scope would be better for the app..

only bad thing about the mosin is the length..

I did not go to the guides website, but it would be very cool to take a bear with a mosin.. most shots are under 100yds if you are hunting from a tree stand the mosin would be something diffrent for sure..

If you are stalking and making long shots something with a scope would be better for the app..

only bad thing about the mosin is the length..

The length wouldn't be an issue because I would be using my M44. Maybe I'll take both rifles with me.

Bring both rifles. When you travel out-of-state/country, it's always wise to bring a backup gun. Your .308 is more than adequate for bear. The guide will always have a "camp rifle" for you to use in the event yours goes lame or something evil befalls it. Don't be surprised to find he hands you a .308/.30-06 if needed. Both offer the right amount of power for the game intended and almost all shooters can tolerate the recoil of these.