ricgnar

Hello from Ocean

Hi Everyone,

I got my FID and 1 pistol permit last week. I'm heading to the range Saturday to rent a few pistols. I almost made up my mind and will likely get a HK P30 .40 but I would like to shoot a Glock 22 one more time and a XD 40 before I decide.

I haven't decided on what trigger variant to get - any thoughts in regards to the LEM and SA/DA trigger on the HK?

welcome! from neptune myself. what made you decide on .40?

i personally went with the 40 cal round myself for my 1st purchase, but i now regret it and wish i went 9mm.

its cheaper, much less recoil (40 is pretty snappy, esp for women & smaller/lighter handguns)

and you can carry more rounds.

now that i am making additional purchases and need to go 9mm, i wish my HD pistol was 9 as well so i dont need to stock different ammo constantly..

i personally went with the 40 cal round myself for my 1st purchase, but i now regret it and wish i went 9mm.

its cheaper, much less recoil (40 is pretty snappy, esp for women & smaller/lighter handguns)

now that i am making additional purchases and need to go 9mm, i wish my HD pistol was 9 as well so i dont need to stock different ammo constantly..

>40 S&W is not normally a best first choice especially for a female who has never shot a gun before but I have something that may help you a little. Check out Atlanta A&A order up some .40 in Minor and you will very surprised how much different it is over production ammo, and it's really not that expensive. I bought it for shooting steel for now until my reloading setup gets here next week.

Harry

I'm taking a few things into consideration. First, the process for obtaining a pistol permit is a bit daunting and I don't see myself going through the process often. After I decide on a pistol this weekend the only other pistol I can see myself getting is a 1911. I may be looking at it the wrong way but in my head I'm thinking similarly to a motorcycle purchase. Two years after I purchased my Ducati 748 I had to get a 998. Second, is my own experience. I've shot 9mm, .40s and .45s all on a very limited basis, I'm still a total newbie. I only shot 10 rounds through an HK 45 last weekend and I actually really liked it, my grouping was pretty decent but follow up shots were REALLY slow, I have a bit more time behind 9mm and .40s. The snappiness of the .40 isn't terrible IMO but my follow ups with it are definitely slower, the 9 is definitely a little easier to shoot well but with practice I don't think the .40 will be a problem and I plan on practicing a lot. Third, is opinions from friends and you fine people on the net. My Ranger buddy swears 9mm's have more punch through. I know any round is capable of going through a wall and shot placement as well as a plan knowing exactly where your family will be is most important but with that being said, I live in a townhouse with a wife and two kids so if a .40 is a tiny bit less likely to go through a wall then it is a plus. Please don't take this as a knock on 9's, I've seen how the 9mm vs .40 debates go online. It starts with someone saying " I once saw a dude hopped up on meth take six shots with a 9 before going down" then all sh*t hits the fan. If you wing a bad guy with any caliber round he isn't going down, it's all about placement. At the moment the .40 has a slight advantage. This weekend a plan on shooting many rounds of both and then I will make a final decision.

Thanks for the responses to my introduction. Please keep them coming I hope to learn a lot from the seasoned shooters on this forum.

I'm taking a few things into consideration. First, the process for obtaining a pistol permit is a bit daunting and I don't see myself going through the process often. After I decide on a pistol this weekend the only other pistol I can see myself getting is a 1911. I may be looking at it the wrong way but in my head I'm thinking similarly to a motorcycle purchase. Two years after I purchased my Ducati 748 I had to get a 998. Second, is my own experience. I've shot 9mm, .40s and .45s all on a very limited basis, I'm still a total newbie. I only shot 10 rounds through an HK 45 last weekend and I actually really liked it, my grouping was pretty decent but follow up shots were REALLY slow, I have a bit more time behind 9mm and .40s. The snappiness of the .40 isn't terrible IMO but my follow ups with it are definitely slower, the 9 is definitely a little easier to shoot well but with practice I don't think the .40 will be a problem and I plan on practicing a lot. Third, is opinions from friends and you fine people on the net. My Ranger buddy swears 9mm's have more punch through. I know any round is capable of going through a wall and shot placement as well as a plan knowing exactly where your family will be is most important but with that being said, I live in a townhouse with a wife and two kids so if a .40 is a tiny bit less likely to go through a wall then it is a plus. Please don't take this as a knock on 9's, I've seen how the 9mm vs .40 debates go online. It starts with someone saying " I once saw a dude hopped up on meth take six shots with a 9 before going down" then all sh*t hits the fan. If you wing a bad guy with any caliber round he isn't going down, it's all about placement. At the moment the .40 has a slight advantage. This weekend a plan on shooting many rounds of both and then I will make a final decision.

Thanks for the responses to my introduction. Please keep them coming I hope to learn a lot from the seasoned shooters on this forum.

actually a .40 is prob MORE likely to go thru a wall (more velocity and energy). and you are mentioning follow up shots, again, the 9 has the advantage.

if your concern is hitting a neighbor (as is mine right now, im also in a "townhome/condo") use hollow points or similar for home defense or get a shotgun and use buck shot (shotgun is a better HD weapon anyway).