chris327

12ga skeet rounds

Anyone know any good deals on some 12ga skeet or clays ammo. Don't have any experience shooting skeet or clays. What should I use and anyone know any good deals? I'm assuming like number 7 or 8 bird shot.

7 or 8 shot.

You can usually find it in a case(250) for around 60-70 out the door. Often there are specials and rebates which bring the price down. Mastodon has had it by the case in the past but I've not been in there lately. I know Davis in Goshen has the federal case around $62 + tax.

If you're just casual about it, buy the cheapest you can find. Once you've shot a few cases, you'll figure out what works for you.

I'm considering going to CR on Sunday and shooting off my electric thrower. I've not been to the range in months, but weather may suck.

I use a lot of Remington Gun Club Target Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1-1/8 oz #7-1/2 Shot. I shot around 250 shells last Saturday alone! (And managed 14 in a row at one point with a very fast thrower).

I never pay more than $5.50 a box, and look for $5/box sales (Cabela's had one last weekend). Dick's also often has it for $5.50/box if you watch. Bought 3 cases from Dick's in Freehold two weekends ago.

They also have "Light Target" ammo with exactly the same specs, in the same exact box with one word added. I don't do nearly as well with that.

-Dave

Mark,

As Chris pointed out it's work weekend.

The first weekend in 4 months that I really have "off" and the range is closed. lol. The last time I had a weekend off the range was flooded. The time before that, the range had the washout. I sense a pattern here.

I'm assuming like number 7 or 8 bird shot.

#8's are a good all-around size. #9's are preferable if you are shooting skeet on a regulation skeet course. That's all you need there. #8's are good for most all clay presentations. #7.5's are best for trap where you need the larger/heavier pellet to break the clay at the longest distance.

Nick where in nj? I don't think any walmart in nj sells ammo. Doesn't seem to be with the drive to get it a few dollars cheaper with the gas prices this high.

Depends on where you are. For a lot of people, a PA Walmart is just as far as the nearest Dicks.