aliveonbackfeed

References for permit not working out

My wife applied for both her firearms license and pistol permit at the same time from the same local PD as mine.She supplied two references and one called and told my wife she filled it out and sent it in in less then one day.The other reference also received hers and she has not sent it in and its been almost two weeks now.

What if she doesn't send it in? How does my wife recover from that? Will it look like she is hiding something? The worse thing my wife has ever done is take a few extra napkins at the local fast food restaurant.Any suggestions would be helpful my wife feels like she has done something wrong and she hasn't.

The reference process will show you who your friends REALLY are. This is the number one hold up for most permit/FPID investigations. I see two choices here. Have your wife hassle the hell out of the reference to get it done, or pick another NOW who is reliable and let the PD know the situation.

Call the other reference and remind her? Has your wife asked her to return it?

This reminds me of a very important point in the business world; never put someone down as a reference unless you have talked with them first. 1) They know it's coming, that you asked for it, and that it's important to you, and 2) if they aren't comfortable giving you a recommendation they'll let you know instead of saying something that messes you up!

My wife applied for both her firearms license and pistol permit at the same time from the same local PD as mine.She supplied two references and one called and told my wife she filled it out and sent it in in less then one day.The other reference also received hers and she has not sent it in and its been almost two weeks now.

What if she doesn't send it in? How does my wife recover from that? Will it look like she is hiding something? The worse thing my wife has ever done is take a few extra napkins at the local fast food restaurant.Any suggestions would be helpful my wife feels like she has done something wrong and she hasn't.

Napkins are cool, so is Sweat-n-Low, actually if you buy sweet-n-low for your house your doing something wrong..:icon_mrgreen:

Ok, back to your post, I would find out why the person isn't sending them back, justs sounds strange being they were a person she felt comfortable is using as a reference. Now if time to do it, or they are out of town that's another story, I do know my department has been great with me, I had some lost in the mail or misplaced at the station and were great in just calling that 1 person, and just this past time, I was able to have both of my references E-mail the detective the information and that was able to expedite that process after I called to see how things were going, I went from no references in the morning to by lunch the permits in the chiefs desk and signed the following Monday being this was all done on a Friday.

Harry

Perhaps your wife can explain to her that she is secerely fouling thw process up.

My wife is starting to get disgusted with the whole thing to the point that she doesn't care if she gets the permit or not.My guess is that this woman knows exactly what she is doing.Deliberately messing with the processes because she is anti gun.I just wish she would have told my wife from the start and she could have chosen another reference.Like someone stated in another post ""this is when you find out who your friends really are,

If it was my wife, I would have her call the woman and ask what the hold up is. As PK90 said, it will show you who is your friend. I purposely chose (and still do) pro 2a references. I also use the same ref's all the time. I don't even think they contact my ref's anymore.

My wife called both references first and they both said yes.The one holding it up has been friendly with my wife for over 22 years.The only thing I can guess is she is a gun hater.If that is the case why didn't she just say no.Now she is really screwing things up.

I think that you are reading far too much into your wife's friend's actions (non-action really). If they have been friends for 22 years, and if your wife was cool enough with it to ask her before listing her as a reference, why can't she simply call her and ask her to send the reference form back to the police. You're making-up all these scenarios when you have failed to take the simplest of actions and just talk to the woman. I think that if she had any reservations, she would have mentioned them when your wife first spoke to her.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

when you speak your wife about this, try to choose your words in such a way that your wife gets fired up about the woman's refusal to help, rather than defeated.

If that doesn't work, go to the PD and ask to submit a different reference. There is nothing wrong about doing it. Remember it could be worse. Your wife's "friend" could send in a negative reference.

My wife is starting to get disgusted with the whole thing to the point that she doesn't care if she gets the permit or not.My guess is that this woman knows exactly what she is doing.Deliberately messing with the processes because she is anti gun.I just wish she would have told my wife from the start and she could have chosen another reference.Like someone stated in another post ""this is when you find out who your friends really are,

If she really wanted to screw things up she would respnd sayig that your wife should never have a gun.

Lazy is still a reason. I find when it comes to people writing things, especially to somehting like a police officer, that get a writer's block.

She is being lazy or disorganized. Sometime getting an envelope and a stamp is just a little to much for people in our world nowadays.

Have your wife give her friend a gentle reminder. If it becomes apparent that the hold up is because of an anti issue, your PD will send another ref letter and should with no repercussions on your wifes application. I have a great friend that took about three weeks to send it in... my local LEO called to tell me there was a reference missing and to choose someone else. It is not as big of a deal as you are making it into.

you are throwing "anti gun" around left and right.. are you guessing she is anti gun? or do you KNOW she is anti gun.. if you KNOW this.. then I have to question why you would ever think of using someone like that for something like this..

No she told my wife she was anti-gun but we used her as a reference anyway.

I wouldn't have used an anti as a reference is the first place, DUH!

Have the PD email you the form or have them mail a new form to another (someone you can trust) reference. This BS happens all of the time, and the PD's are used to it by now!

The new reference can be someone from your bridal party who isn't related to you (if you're newly weds), or a neighbor or co-worker you can trust. Start a conversation and get-r-done!

I wouldn't have used an anti as a reference is the first place, DUH!

Have the PD email you the form or have them mail a new form to another (someone you can trust) reference. This BS happens all of the time, and the PD's are used to it by now!

The new reference can be someone from your bridal party who isn't related to you (if you're newly weds), or a neighbor or co-worker you can trust. Start a conversation and get-r-done!

Just a shade of sarcasm about her telling us she was anti-gun.We would never use anyone who held such beliefs.You have good advise.My wife could just fill out the form again and bring it down to the PD.They are helpful and have advised me when I went thru my process.

Bingo, right there.

With all things aside, this should NOT be such a big deal. It should be more of a deal between your wife and her 'friend' than the whole references thing.

Have your wife call the police station and talk to the officer who does the FID apps. Kindly, and politely, tell them the situation in a nutshell (just that one reference has been procrastinating) and if it would be ok if you could give the name and address of another reference.

It's rather quite simple, but it seems to be turning into something much bigger than it really is.

Just have the PD send me the effin reference form. I will send it in the same day stating how great she is and what a responsible gun owner she is. And, I don't even know her. The reference part of the investigation is the most idiotic waste of time.

Just have the PD send me the effin reference form. I will send it in the same day stating how great she is and what a responsible gun owner she is. And, I don't even know her. The reference part of the investigation is the most idiotic waste of time.

PK I trust you and believe you and made me laugh.I will have my wife pick another reference and we will bring it to the PD in person.

Thanks

If it was my wife, I would have her call the woman and ask what the hold up is. As PK90 said, it will show you who is your friend. I purposely chose (and still do) pro 2a references. I also use the same ref's all the time. I don't even think they contact my ref's anymore.

So do I, and my town still sends them out, even though it's like 3 times a year.

Our various levels of Government are all broke and they they still waste time and money on this. :banghead:

I'm waiting for them to charge me with harrassment.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if this statement you just said it true, what did you expect to happen? You totally blew it using an anti-gun person for a reference. That is a costly mistake to make and wouldn't be surprise if she never gets her permit.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if this statement you just said it true, what did you expect to happen? You totally blew it using an anti-gun person for a reference. That is a costly mistake to make and wouldn't be surprise if she never gets her permit.

From above:

Just a shade of sarcasm about her telling us she was anti-gun.

Had this same problem. I went to the PD and asked them for one so I could take it. I went straight to that persons house with the form and camped out until they got home and I explained that I need it now which means NOW. Went straight back to the PD and handed it in that same day. Problem solved. Phone calls can be ignored. Me on your doorstep... Can't