Tom-NJ2AS

stolen wallet SSN cards were in there

Wallet was stolen out of my truck last night. Always keep it locked, just must have forgotten. I already cancelled all my cards, filed a police report, but both my wifes and my social security cards were in there. Anyone have this happen? Is there some kind of site i should sign up with to monitor if someone is trying to use my info? Hardest part will be getting a new firearms id card.

thanks

this is so important to do .thieves have all your info they can go to retail stores and open up instant credit accounts.when you call the credit agencies,they will flag your acct.i am speaking from experience,had wallet stolen almost 20 years ago.

Having been a victim of Identity theft in January 07, I can tell you, you need to IMMEDIATELY, as in right this second, contact the credit agencies.

They will put a temporary fraud alert on your account that will prevent the accounts being opened as Mike mentioned above.

I cannot stress this enough. Call right now.

There is still a permanent fraud alert on my account. In your case after 90 days the temporary fraud alert will fall off if there is no reported fraud therefore if I were you, sign up for Lifelock for at least a year. You do not want to go through what I went through. Every time you think you've got it squished, another creditor will be ringing your phone asking for a payment.

By the end, I had a process. Creditor calls, ask to go to the fraud center. Talk to fraud person, explain situation, ask for the fraud affidavit. A few days later, the fraud affidavit shows up on the mail. You fill it out, include the copy of the police report that you filed, sign, date and register mail back to the fraud center. Oh, and if they're nice, their collection attack dogs will stop calling you every day at 8am or whatever random hour. Many aren't nice.

One dirtbag collection agency just refused to stop calling and wanted a fax of the police report. I faxed it to them, the calls continued. I faxed it AGAIN and the calls continued. Finally, I told them I was going to contact the police. They said "sir, we're not in your state". I was ready and had done my homework. I responded with "I know, that's why I called the local PD(it was somewhere in Georgia), talked to detective Meyer, faxed him the same paperwork I'm faxing YOU again for the 3rd time. He said that if the calls continue he'll send a representative over to your address(I recited her street address) talk to YOU personally. I then hung up, taped the 3 page police report together and let it fax over about 15 or so continuous loops. The calls stopped.

Make the call.

i am actually doing them online now. I feel a bit better already.

Now i am worried because these douche bags have my license and my FID card

Wait. Didn't you just buy a gun from me this morning?

• Like 1

Chances are, the dirt bag is only going to spend the cash and attempt to use the credit cards. They probably already did use it for fast food and maybe used it at Walmart. I wouldn't worry about identity theft. Not sure how populated your area is, but check the public trash cans and dumpsters near your home.

i went up and down the streets. Cancelled all cards already and debit card. No activity on anything and i had no cash in the wallet at all. They even left about 60.00 worth of quarters that was in the back seat from when i get change at stores.

How worried do i have to be about them buying guns? (long guns at least)

Have a police report made stating the incident. YOU are then covered. Then who cares if it is used illegally or not. You can't control that. Unless the person looks like you, there is very little chance they can buy a firearm.

Tom,

I know this is all raw and fresh but I think that after you recover it would be helpful to do an after action report and sticky it here on the forum. We all can use the reminder of necessary security measures.

It would also be neat to address this on Gun Fer Hire Ray-dee-OH... I just love to hear Anthony talk about the various shytbags we have to deal with.

Sorry for your trouble and loss.

Yeah I gotta say that just carrying YOUR card would be bad enough but why would you carry somebody else's as well? Just a heads up though, there are a lot of issues with thieves now taking mail straight out of your mailbox just to obtain information that would help them create fake CC accounts in your name and then they max the card out on gift cards or other high priced items before you even know whats going on. So just imagine how easy you made it for this guy to steal your information with all your information right there in their hands. I just don't understand why you would do that in the first place. Now I definitely agree that you need to try and do what you can to stop ANY cards made in your name. But with SSN in hand thats just the beginning of your problems.

Charges may not be Mickey-D and Wally World only.

I got hit a couple of years back - the first charge was $3,000+ for airline tickets. Lucky for me the credit card company called to verify. I didn't even know my card was compromised until then.

Definitely, file the report with the credit reporting agencies, as others have said. you can do it online also.

Filed police reports with NJSP near my home and local PD where info was ripped off. NJSP followed-up and called me several times. Local PD was pissed he had to take a report. Was really pissed when I demanded an incident report number. They could not have cared less.

I got hit a couple of years back - the first charge was $3,000+ for airline tickets. Lucky for me the credit card company called to verify.

Actually, lucky credit card company. You're only responsible for the first $50 on a stolen CC. Whenever the CC fraud guys call me for "my own protection" I laugh at them.

I have nbot had one problem with any fraud at all. I am figuring once they saw there was no cash, they bailed on it. I immediately canceled everything and did fraud protection through the credit reporting companies, and i will do another 3 months of it soon.

This. THere is absolutely no reason to be carrying these cards around.

There's also no reason to store your wallet and personal documents in your vehicle. But apparently it is not uncommon, several areas by me regularly have people come around trying cars to see if they are unlocked and taking documentation, bills, etc.