Babaganoosh

What is a high powered magazine?

Here is the story. My link

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Gun was displayed during meeting to point out dangers, Miami-Dade schools police chief says

By David Ovalle, The Miami Herald

8:43 PM EDT, September 29, 2011

MIAMI

Advertisement

During a staff meeting last week, Miami-Dade Schools Police Chief Charles Hurley pulled out his .40-caliber Glock pistol, unloaded the magazine and placed the bullets on a meeting room table.

He says it was an impromptu demonstration to stress the dangers facing officers and students during a recent spate of shootings. Some in the room, however, say they felt it was a display meant to intimidate.

The episode happened Sept. 22 at the Miami-Dade Schools Police headquarters, 6100 NW Second Ave. The meeting, attended by more than a dozen command officers and civilian employees, was to discuss staff issues.

Hurley insisted that the pistol was just a prop meant to underscore the need to step up policing. About an hour earlier, a gunman had emptied a high-powered magazine in an incident near Northwestern High, rattling the neighborhood.

He said several firearms instructors were on hand, ensuring safety, and the weapon was not waved or pointed at anyone.

"This was a visual aid. It was done in a very controlled environment," Hurley said Wednesday. "Just like if I was CEO of Apple, I would put an iPad on the desk."

The Sept. 22 incident was recounted in detail this week in an anonymous e-mail sent to the Miami-Dade State Attorney's office, the county ethics commission and the county inspector general's office. It was unclear Wednesday whether the matter will be reviewed.

Hurley stands by his actions. He says some disgruntled employees are embellishing the episode to make him look bad.

"I took on a couple members of my staff who were performing at marginal levels and they were called out," Hurley said. "When you call people out, when you take on marginal performers, this is what happens."

Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho voiced support for Hurley's performance overall.

"We will be reviewing this issue," he said. "But we are going to do it in the context of three back-to-back years of double-digit reductions of critical incidents in schools and a 35 percent reduction in arrests in schools."

Carvalho added: "This is a highly professional police department that, I believe, has been led in an extremely professional way."

Miami Herald staff writer Kathleen McGrory contributed to this report.

Notice that anything outside of guns is never labeled high powered by the media. I'd consider my dumps to be high powered, but of course, the only things that are high powered to the media are high powered assault weapons firing high powered baby killing rounds out of their high powered assault clips while the high powered assault cop killer is looking through his high powered cop killing assault looking glass scope reticule and eating a high powered assault snack.