Rob0115

AR15 build

I am looking at the Rainier XTC compensator. My question is does the muzzle need to be pinned in NJ? I have an NJ legal Bushmaster that the compensator does not look pinned on.

It says it is a compensator on the wb site. I hate NJ. Let me see if I can change. Kind of pisses me off because I like what I was building.

Thanks for the heads up.

Here's what I got from Rainier arms:

Rest assured, the ATF stopped classifying muzzles as either flash hider or compensator.  So as long as it’s pinned/welded, you’re good to go.

Here's what I got from Rainier arms:

Rest assured, the ATF stopped classifying muzzles as either flash hider or compensator.  So as long as it’s pinned/welded, you’re good to go.

ATF doesn't give a crap whether you're Jersey-legal or not!

With the '94 AWB now expired into oblivion, the Feds have no dog in that fight anymore.

Rule of thumb on flash hiders & muzzle brakes/compensators is to take a look at the hole in the outgoing end.

If the diameter is approximately the same as the diameter of the bore, it's a jersey-ok brake or compensator.

If the hole is significantly larger than the bore, it's probably a flash hider and counts as an evil feature.

Accessible (non-welded attachment) threads are an additional evil feature. :icon_rolleyes:

remember nj has its own set of rules...

x2, I think the only muzzle brake I would use that has the flash hider looking prongs on the front would be the PWS (http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=6), and only because they have the letter from the ATF stating that it is not a flash hider (http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/documents/ATF_FSC556.pdf). Otherwise I will just stick to the regular comps and brakes.

• Like 1

So I pinned a UBR stock today and I wanted to get some opinions on whether this passes NJ or not. I used a drill press and a trigger pin to hold in place. Does it need to be soldered or just not otherwise removable?

F0360193-orig.jpg

Ordered some roll pins and will remove this pin and replace. Curious I'd that's all I have to do to be legal? Overall length of the gun is more than my NJ legal Bushmaster XM15. I have an 18.5" barrel with permanent compensator on it.

Federal (before NFA tax stamp becomes necessary - does not apply in NJ - No NFA firearms allowed) & NJ law for rifles is: minimum 16" barrel length (when a comp or FH is permanently attached it is considered part of the barrel). Minimum 26" OAL.

Ordered some roll pins and will remove this pin and replace. Curious I'd that's all I have to do to be legal? Overall length of the gun is more than my NJ legal Bushmaster XM15. I have an 18.5" barrel with permanent compensator on it.

Hell you could have just gone to your local home depot/lowes and gotten some there, thats where I got mine.

As long as the OAL is more than 26", the barrel is 16"+ (including muzzle brake), no bayonet lug, fixed/pinned stock, and 15rd mags you should be good to go.

• Like 1

Couldn't find a roll pin at the Home Depot by me and Loews is a hike. I commute to NYC so a quick Amazon.com order was probably faster. The OAL is past 26" and the barrel is 18.5" + compensator.

Is a roll pin better than tapping, threading and putting a hex machine screw in or just easier?

Thanks.

If you blind pin it that's "permanent", just countersink your existing pin then cover it with JB weld. A little dab of satin black paint and you're done.

Edit: so a trigger pin is probably too long but if you cut it or used a set screw that would be do-able

Pulled the trigger pin out and got a roll pin. I can't smack or pull it out with a pick so I guess it's pretty much pinned for NJ.

10FEA837-orig.jpg

I bought some plastic filler and paint to touch up the mark. It's driving me nuts.

..Accessible (non-welded attachment) threads are an additional evil feature. :icon_rolleyes:

Not quite... the law reads "Flash hider or threads to accept a flash hider"

So if you have just threads or a flash hider on threads and its removable, its still just one feature either way.

Now, if there has NEVER EVER been a flash hider made for a particular thread....fair game! This used to be the case for romanian muzzle threads and brakes during the federal ban. ATF said you can keep the threads because there were never flash hiders made for those threads therfore they arent threads to accept a flash hider...

...not that I would suggest doing so. If you did, I'de machine myself an oddball thread that does NOT exist anywhere else.

It's pinned and welded like my my NJ legal Bushmaster. The blue tape has an arrow pointing to the spot which is very obviously a pin and weld.

0609A9C2-orig.jpg

Are UBRs definitely considered to be non-compliant? They don't 'telescope' in the mechanical sense...

I drilled a hole and put a roll pin in it. I may put some JB weld on top of it to make it a "blind" pin. I think I'm ok the way it is. They are adjustable so I am not sure what you consider telescoping and I actually believe the law says collapsable.

My off the shelf Bushmaster has a pinned stock so I just followed through on this one.

Thanks.

I bought it for 141.65 with shipping from Reds Trading Post through their ebay store. I had 14 ebay bucks which brought the price down to that. I should have it this week.

Thanks.