Sign in to follow this  
Blue1

bargain scopes

I am looking at some cheap glass for my first AR I'm picking up in a couple weeks, and have been looking at Aim Sport products.

I realize this is not top-notch or mid-range equipment, but I'm a noob, and at these prices, if I keep them a season or two and learn anything from their use they are worth it.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with Aim Sport products?

Thanks,

Blue

6x32 NCStar.. need NTCH as FOV & Eye Relief is tight..

I managed to shoot this 100 yard group back in August.. off a Caldwell front green bag..

total with rings from OpticsPlanet was like $52..

scope100.jpg

the setup it with the UTG 'Tactical' QD rings..

QDring2.jpg

if you go CHEAP.. don't go varible power as they tend to BREAK.. trust me on that..

I've had 2 6x32 NCStar, 1 4x32 NCStar, and a 2-7x32 NC.. the 2-7 was the worst for HOLDING zero..

Bad scopes arent identified by accuracy usually... its about holding a zero and most importantly repeatability. For example, take your cheap scope and shoot a group. Now go 10 clicks up 10 clicks right 10 clicks down then 10 clicks left. You wont be in the same spot (dont try this at 25 yards.... it shows at ranges ~200 yards and out).

How cheap we talking here?

Bushnell are ok. Burris are alot better. For about $150 , Nikon ProStaff and Mueller scopes are tough to beat.

Personal choice would be a Nikon Prostaff with a bullet drop compensator reticle.

Use will be primarily at the range.

Money isn't really an issue, I simply don't have such a critical use to justify spending a sh*tload of money on a scope.

The Nikon looks good, but is on backorder at Midway, I'll look elsewhere.

Blue1

Purchased the Leupold 3-9x40mm package, which included AR mount and lens caps. very happy with this decision, anything disappoints me, I will update.

Thanks for all your help.

Blue1

I have a similar scope on my DPMS 308 (AR series rifle chambered in 308) and love it.. I purchased it used for 175.. I have it on a Larue mount which if memory serves me correctly.. was more than the scope..