jonny.montana

CHECK THIS OUT!!!! is it NJ Legal?

Few years back (12)one of the guy's i worked with had a home made cannon, much larger than that one, we use to load it up every once in a while and let it rip.

dam it was loud, the chief of police would always show up afterwards and tell us to put it away.. :sarcastichand:

You know, that is a really interesting question. It meets the NJ definition of a firearm, but does not meet the definition of a handgun, rifle, shotgun or destructive device. Is it unregulated? Give me some cites.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

You know, that is a really interesting question. It meets the NJ definition of a firearm, but does not meet the definition of a handgun, rifle, shotgun or destructive device. Is it unregulated? Give me some cites.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

I'm waiting for Dave, Smoking50 to weight in on this, I know they had a cannon at one of the OBRPC event a month or so ago, so he might have some knowledge on this.

AOW?

AOW is a Federal designation with no equivalent here in NJ. With what little I know about these kind of things, if it were classed as AOW, it would need a NFA tax stamp. It's black powder and small bore (.177" = BB) and thus escapes federal notice AFAIK.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

The $30 toy cannon needing a $200 tax stamp :icon_rolleyes:

Not rolling my eyes at you, just the concept.

Don't take my word for it, but my understanding is that AOWs are allowed in NJ from the federal perspective, though it is dependent on your town/the state. As for the stamp itself, AOWs are only $5.

Don't take my word for it, but my understanding is that AOWs are allowed in NJ from the federal perspective, though it is dependent on your town/the state. As for the stamp itself, AOWs are only $5.

I see where you're coming from.....unfortunately there's A LOT of things that are legal from the federal standpoint, and not NJ's :banghead:

It's a blackpowder cannon. They are not AOW. They are even legal in NJ. The question is how to aquire one legally, much like an air rifle. The rest of the country doesn't regulate3 them, so the folks selling them by mail aren't prepared to deal with us folks who have to deal with them in a regulated manner.

I think the simplest methos is to convince dixon muzzleloading in PA they need to stock these, and then swing out, buy one, and pick up some yummy dietrich's hotdogs on the way.