satrnfreak

Racism and job interview...

So I went for a job interview yesterday, and the first question(which was VERY poorly worded) asked how would someones race, religion, creed, or sexual preference effect your job performance in interacting with said person in a supervisory manner. So my question would be, if an employer cannot ask about your religious affiliation, sexual preference, etc... , how can they ask said question? After interview it was explained to me, that they were looking to see if I had any problems with being racially biased, and that saying I have no problems with any race,creed, religion was the answer they were looking for. The question as I heard it was, would someones color,race creed, effect their performance and how would you deal with it? I'm pretty sure this question killed me, and by no means I believe I'm a racist or advertise myself as one. But in the end, I did not provide the answer they were looking for....

Krd, sad thing is I already work for them. This was a promotional interview, and via the interviewer(who knows me from a hole in the ground), I have already been labeled a racist per conversations and past dealings with. Anyone who actually knows me, knows I will do anything for anyone to help them. I am a product of Irvington, was a white boy(blonde hair blue eyes) growing up in a DOMINANTLY black neighborhood, to say racism is something I'm not familiar with is a joke. I spent most of the days running home after school because of the color of my skin. So yes I AM racially apprehensive, but after initial meetings, I have more black/Hispanic friends, than I do white. I find more in common and have more to talk about.

This is a typical but not exactly standard question. I call it one of those easy tee-ups.

The answer is "it wouldn't affect me at all." Done.

The best thing to do is start looking up different lists of top interview questions and start practicing your answers. Just like with reloading, look at more than one source. Lists of questions for supervisory positions are different from the standard lists. If I were interviewing you and this easy question took you by surprise, you hadn't fully prepared. Such is the nature of job interviews today.

• Like 1

Krd, sad thing is I already work for them. This was a promotional interview, and via the interviewer(who knows me from a hole in the ground), I have already been labeled a racist per conversations and past dealings with. Anyone who actually knows me, knows I will do anything for anyone to help them. I am a product of Irvington, was a white boy(blonde hair blue eyes) growing up in a DOMINANTLY black neighborhood, to say racism is something I'm not familiar with is a joke. I spent most of the days running home after school because of the color of my skin. So yes I AM racially apprehensive, but after initial meetings, I have more black/Hispanic friends, than I do white. I find more in common and have more to talk about.

Well, that would certainly explain the line of questioning, wouldn't it. Whether it's against the law or not is probably a gray area. The fact that they've already perceived you to be that way, tells me they wanted to here it from your own mouth how you'd handle it. The fact that they felt this way, feeling about you the way they did, was there way of at least giving you a chance in applying for the job, regardless of your racial tendencies. You probably had no chance at all for the job, but by interviewing you, it removed any liability and/or prejudice from them.

This is a typical but not exactly standard question. I call it one of those easy tee-ups.

The answer is "it wouldn't affect me at all." Done.

The best thing to do is start looking up different lists of top interview questions and start practicing your answers. Just like with reloading, look at more than one source. Lists of questions for supervisory positions are different from the standard lists. If I were interviewing you and this easy question took you by surprise, you hadn't fully prepared. Such is the nature of job interviews today.

Best answer so far.

It would be if it fit the question.... "HOW" not "WOULD". This was my issue, and maybe I read into it to much....

Doesn't matter if it was asked "how" or "would". The same answer could/would apply. I understand what you're asking. As touching as the world is nowadays, I'm surprise someone would even bring up race, no matter what the reason. I'm still not convinced that the line of questioning was legal.

Doesn't matter if it was asked "how" or "would". The same answer could/would apply. I understand what you're asking. As touching as the world is nowadays, I'm surprise someone would even bring up race, no matter what the reason. I'm still not convinced that the line of questioning was legal.

To re-itterate using the above from _NASCAR, the behavioral questions that Human Resources use today are meant to probe. Your best bet is read up on interview questions and start formulating a response ahead of time. Always look for the bait, and find a way to answer that sounds good. Don't let a word or inflection lead you.

These days,if you think you can just punt on a job interview you will be caught a** out by the other six people that have been out of work for a year that have done nothing but practicing and having interviews.

To re-itterate using the above from _NASCAR, the behavioral questions that Human Resources use today are meant to probe. Your best bet is read up on interview questions and start formulating a response ahead of time. Always look for the bait, and find a way to answer that sounds good. Don't let a word or inflection lead you.

These days,if you think you can just punt on a job interview you will be caught a** out by the other six people that have been out of work for a year that have done nothing but practicing and having interviews.

Duly noted... will definitely be more prepared next time. Will also not let the Irish out either.... 8)