Jon

Sending A Care Package To Afghanistan

Got a chance to chat with a buddy of mine who is currently serving in the Marine Corps in Afghanistan. He and his peeps are serving in combat and when I asked if there was anything I could send him for the holidays, he asked for CLP breakfree, baby wipes, and crew socks. I thought I would reach out to you guys to see if you had any desire to toss stuff in the box before I send it. Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

I send packages out regularly, otherwise I'd kick in. One thing they like (this time of year) are the hand and foot warmers you can get at Dick's, Sportsman's Guide, etc. From my time over there, we loved the flavor packages for water bottles (Crystal Light and such). Boot socks are always good.

Nice. I personally sent about 75 boxes to my son when he was over there(gets pricey!) and he bacame known as the " Package Ho"! Anybody needed something they hit on him which of course is the idea. Alot of stuff was nabbed as soon as boxes where opened , just as well he said cause theres no way to store it all. One time my in-laws(he's a vet) went on base in Florida and bought $500 of cigs & chew for us to send over! 3 weeks later we got a rare call from my son and all you heard was hootin & hollerin from the guys celebrating the American tobacco! We still have a lot of supplies left from his last deployment and will be sending again on his next one in the summer. Some of the more requested food items where beef jerky and little packs of trail mix, both easily stored in a pocket. And yes- lots of baby wipes in small handy paks to carry. My wife belongs to a local Military Moms group who regularly send mega-shipments, last months postal bill was $1,200 !!! Lots of great support out there these days which unfortunatly wasnt always there. Keep the boxes going- its a bigtime moral booster when they get them.

Thanks for the support guys. I can meet anyone in Mercer, Middlesex, or Somerset County if you want to throw some stuff in. Otherwise, paypal contributions work. I'll take a pic so you can see where your contribution went before I package everything up and ship it out. PM me for info.

Almost anything you send is appreciated. I was fortunate that I didn't spend my deployments directly in Afghanistan, but we did fly there daily and always brought cases of milk...real milk. Most places out there only have that crappy fake powdered milk. I know this doesn't help you guys in your care package though! :)

My nephew and his buds went nuts for Crystal Light, wipes, lip balm, any and all non-melting candy. Homemade cookies (or the crumbs that survived the trip) were the number one choice. He is headed back in February, but will be here on block leave later this month. I'll pick his brain for input and share.

Thanks for all the contributions guys. I went and spent $90 yesterday at Costco on baby wipes, individual packs of trail mix, and socks. I'll be headed to Atlantic Tactical on Monday or Wednesday to stock up on some CLP. Currently have 4 flat-rate boxes full and ready to go!

Thanks for all the contributions guys. I went and spent $90 yesterday at Costco on baby wipes, individual packs of trail mix, and socks. I'll be headed to Atlantic Tactical on Monday or Wednesday to stock up on some CLP. Currently have 4 flat-rate boxes full and ready to go!

Can we throw in a few 45 automatics and some 357 revolvers too? And some ammo. This way they can use a real gun in a real caliber as a side arm.

Just wanted to update everyone that chipped in for this. I have 4 boxes ready to go, but my local CLP dealer has been all out for the past week. As soon as they are replenished the packages will be shipped out.

• Like 1