david8613

What Do You Guys Think Of This Barrel And Caliber For An Ar?

On my bucket list is to get a "6.5 something" someday. It will probably be in a bolt gun format though, but the caliber intrigues me and seems to strike the balance between efficiency and effectiveness on game out to distances. And then when I think too much about it, I envision a 6.5/284.

Some good reading on the 6.5's if you haven't already seen these links:

http://demigodllc.co...-creedmoor/?p=1

http://www.accurates...artridge-guide/

it is impossible for anyone to answer unless they understand your intended use..

it is like saying.. what do you think about a 20in AR10..

oh it is great.. really good choice..

and then they come back to say cool I am using it for squirrel hunting..

• Like 1

On my bucket list is to get a "6.5 something" someday. It will probably be in a bolt gun format though, but the caliber intrigues me and seems to strike the balance between efficiency and effectiveness on game out to distances. And then when I think too much about it, I envision a 6.5/284.

Some good reading on the 6.5's if you haven't already seen these links:

http://demigodllc.co...-creedmoor/?p=1

http://www.accurates...artridge-guide/

after reading some i think its a pretty interesting round . but it all comes down to what is your intention for this gun ? if your intent is for long lange shooting than it looks good go for it .

Here's my take.

I absolutely would not get a 6.5 grendel as my first AR.

The load data for it form AA is pretty much wrong. Almost nobody is seeing the velocities they claim with their listed loads, and on top of that, the pressures their loads generate cause premature bolt wear in an AR. In a bolt action, people are seeing good performance by loading the cartridge pretty hot. The brass is strong. At least if you buy the lapua brass. The soft wolf brass is blowing out in the bolt guns at those pressures. AA's own ammo is a nice little storyboard of their bad load data vs. reality. They used to sell ammo with more bullet choices. It's narrowed, due to pressure issues is my guess why, and on top of that they claim the same muzzle velocity as before, BUT... and it's a big but, that velocity used to be out of a 16" barrel. Now it is out of a 26".

The claims of .308 performance in a smaller cartridge are BS. You have a bullet with a nice high BC, but it will be moving pretty slowly and have a rainbow like trajectory. The high BC means it will buck wind more, but the slower velocities mean it is exposed to wind longer. The net result is you get an under performing 6.5 cartridge that is pricey.

Unless you want to jump into reloading and pay $80 per hundred for your brass, It's not a cartridge for you. If you want something accurate out to a few hundred yards, there are plenty of premium 75gr match cartridges for .223/5.56 that will let you do that pretty well.

If you are going for more boom and longer ranges in an AR over the 5.56 round, I'd go for a .308 purpose built AR approach. More plentiful and less expensive ammo abound.

I have a 308 AR as well..

just a basic off the shelf 16in DPMS 308... a thousand dollar gun.. puts holes in holes touching holes with a $150 old a** Leupold scope...

ammo is pretty costly compared to other calibers I shoot.. but it is a strong accurate shooter..

Keep in mind, the 5.56 lower will not work with a .308 upper. You'll need a .308 lower, upper, and BCG. So basically plan on building or buying a new gun. I'd go the building route. You can start buying parts a little at a time to ease the $$ sting over time.

Otherwise, if you just want to swap uppers, keep them 5.56. Go for a quality upper with a 18 or 20" barrel for velocity and look at 1:8 twist if you plan on shooting 69-75gr bullets. These bullet weights are not available in surplus/cheap forms, and usually are sold as match ammo (could get pricey if you don't reload yourself). What's nice with 1:8 twist is that you can still shoot 62gr milsurp ammo with decent results when you just want to plink. 55gr may not work so well, but some people find they can get away with them out of a 1:8. Go for the heavier match BTHP bullets for better accuracy (typically).

older wildcat that never caught on. Dean Grendel is (was?) an editor/ writer of Gun World magazine back in the day. Was an early attempt to get a bigger heavier slug out of the Ar-15 for deer size game

Caught on enough that a bunch of manufacturers make uppers and it is now a SAAMI spec cartridge.

what about 300AAC Blackout? seems that some bigger companies (remington) are offering it and more every day?

7.62x39 similar ballistics. Not very compelling if the OP is building a rifle "for distance" over his existing 5.56 platform. IMO of course as distance is subjective.

yeah that's what I was thinking just build an upper for my spikes lower, which is 5.56, i thought you could build an upper get mags and it would work, guess not?

For .308? Nope, the cartridge is too long and won't fit in AR mags or the lower magwell for that matter. Sorry to say that .308 lowers are pretty expensive to boot as well.

• Like 1

7.62x39 similar ballistics. Not very compelling if the OP is building a rifle "for distance" over his existing 5.56 platform. IMO of course as distance is subjective.

thanks. i was kinda off topic..asking for info myself. not recommending it to the original poster.

I paid about a grand for my DPMS 308 used.. works great.. the models with the forward assist are more.. get a non forward assist one and they are a bit cheaper..

ones like this sell for a grand or under..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=264692562#PIC

Never shot one.

Fantastic performance.

Ammo is expensive, limited, and uncommon. It's a crying shame, really.

It's not a wonder bullet or anything, I'd suggest you consider other options.

Alexander Arms went mainstream with the Grendel and got it SAAMI approved..Wolf is already planning to produce it. xpect to see it get a lot more popular.