Mr.G

Leo Question - What Does Step Mean?

Steps are a set time period to advance on the pay scale due to your experience (longevity). They can be a year apart or in the Federal system you have a career ladder to reach a journeyman grade (GS7, 9, 11, etc). After that you get steps which are spaced first one year, then two years and finally 3 years apart.

Steps are normally salary, each step is a year or set anniversary date.

for example in my Dept, we have 5 Steps to top pay. teachers in the town I work OTOH have NINETEEN Steps to get to top pay.

there are also Salary steps in some Rank advancements as well.. Generally NOT in PD's but i;ve seen it in fire Depts where you go from Firefighter to Captain to Dep Chief our FD has 3 pay steps for each rank advance.

my dept has 10 steps for every rank. when you get promoted to the next rank you drop down 3 steps. so if you are a step 8 officer you drop down to a step 5 sergeant. then if it takes you 2 years to make Lt. you drop down to a step 4 Lt. every step is a new salary base.

Everyone starts at step 1, no exceptions regardless either fresh out of school or veteran corporate experience? I assume.

Depends on the place.. When you are fresh out of the academy your must start at step 1.. However if you transfer from one department to another they sometimes will take into consideration your experience and start you on a later step.. I work in a civil service town.. We have a 6 step program.. Step 1 is while you are in the academy, step 2 starts when you graduate, and thne every year you go up to the next step.. Now if a guy was at top pay in Newark and got laid off our department might/could hire him and start him at step 4 if they wanted to..

Everyone starts at step 1, no exceptions regardless either fresh out of school or veteran corporate experience? I assume.

With my agency it does..it's cost us a couple of good lateral transfers over the years too.

Depends on the place.. When you are fresh out of the academy your must start at step 1.. However if you transfer from one department to another they sometimes will take into consideration your experience and start you on a later step.. I work in a civil service town.. We have a 6 step program.. Step 1 is while you are in the academy, step 2 starts when you graduate, and thne every year you go up to the next step.. Now if a guy was at top pay in Newark and got laid off our department might/could hire him and start him at step 4 if they wanted to..

In my case I started as a proby step, step one is .on my anniversary date, and eevery step after that is in April upto 8 !steps

In my case I started as a proby step, step one is .on my anniversary date, and eevery step after that is in April upto 8 !steps

because of the way out contract was worded, i ended up with ten.. we'd get our Setp in August, then the contract raise in Jan.