Nick T

Buying Rifles at Cabela's

Does anyone know what the law is in PA. I'm head out there after Christmas and figured if I'm in the area I'd pop in and see what they had and if I saw something I liked I'd buy it. However my NJ FID card is old, (different address) and my new town is dragging their feet. Can I legally purchase in PA or not bother stopping in at Cabela's while I'm in free America.

They probably will not sell to you without matching addresses (DL to FPID). But as has been discussed this is not in the statutes. However, IIRC, there are time limitations for address changes on both your DL and FPID card.

If your out that way, I'd stop anyway. Can't ever tell, they may sell to you.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

You need a valid FID to purchase there, unless its an air gun or black powder.

will Cabela's sell you an air gun (pistol) knowing that you need a pistol purchase permit if you're in the PRNJ? It's possible that they might say "this has to be transferred to an FFL in NJ and you have to pick it up there."

I would be GTG being I have an FID and DL with matching addresses, did you do it with different addresses like the OP is going to attempt??

Wow totally missed that part. I had the change of address sticker on my DL that matched my FID so I guess it didn't matter. I'd say give it a try but the wait at Cabelas can be brutal. I'd hate to see him wait and get denied.

I still have my matching DL with the punch hole that matches my FID, chances are I won't bother as stated about the possibility of a wait... My new town sucks, guess that's what I get for living somewhere who's recent claim to fame is the home town to a local cop killer

will Cabela's sell you an air gun (pistol) knowing that you need a pistol purchase permit if you're in the PRNJ? It's possible that they might say "this has to be transferred to an FFL in NJ and you have to pick it up there."

Air rifles/pistols and blackpowder guns aren't guns outside of NJ. You pick these items off the shelf and bring them to the register.

When one buys a firearm, the DL# is checked by NICS and it must match what one puts down on the form AND must be valid, i.e. not expired and not suspended. In NJ, this info is cross referenced with one's SBI number. There is no way to get around matching addresses on the 4473, FPID and DL. In every state, if you put down your old address on the federal 4473 form in an attempt to match your DL, you WILL have a problem. A BIG one at that. In all other states besides NJ, if you attempt to exhibit a FPID that does not match your DL, you MAY have a problem.

Was there yesterday... when I walked over to the rifle counter/area when I got there at 10am, they were only helping #81... and there were literally HUNDREDS of people waiting in line. The line never got any shorter when I left at 3pm either.

When one buys a firearm, the DL# is checked by NICS and it must match what one puts down on the form AND must be valid, i.e. not expired and not suspended.

You do not need a DL to buy a gun from an FFL at all, or to pass a NICS check. However, most FFLs will want to see a DL because they are worried about people from out of state. (don't know what applies to NJ, except experience listed below)

In NJ, this info is cross referenced with one's SBI number. There is no way to get around matching addresses on the 4473, FPID and DL.

I know "people" that passed NICS in NJ with a NJ FID and a DL with a different address. Matter of fact, I don't think I they were even asked for the DL. "They" were not prohibitted persons, of course, and passed NICS. They didn't do anything wrong.

In every state, if you put down your old address on the federal 4473 form in an attempt to match your DL, you WILL have a problem. A BIG one at that.

You can purchase from an FFL without showing a DL outside of NJ. Just that most FFLs won't do it unless you show them something, and most prefer a DL.

You do not need a DL to buy a gun from an FFL at all, or to pass a NICS check. However, most FFLs will want to see a DL because they are worried about people from out of state. (don't know what applies to NJ, except experience listed below)

One must exhibit a Government issued Photo ID, which 99% of the time is a DL. Of course there are other ones available and accepted. The identification must also have a current address on it.

I know "people" that passed NICS in NJ with a NJ FID and a DL with a different address. Matter of fact, I don't think I they were even asked for the DL. "They" were not prohibitted persons, of course, and passed NICS. They didn't do anything wrong.

They got away with it.

You can purchase from an FFL without showing a DL outside of NJ. Just that most FFLs won't do it unless you show them something, and most prefer a DL.

As stated, a Government issued Photo ID must be presented per Federal Law.

One must exhibit a Government issued Photo ID, which 99% of the time is a DL. Of course there are other ones available and accepted. The identification must also have a current address on it.

I don't know these laws, can you show me the law that requires a current address on an ID for purchase? I'd like to read the law. Reason I ask is, I have a feeling that if this is true it is a requirement of the FFLs record keeping and not crime on the part of the purchaser for showing an ID without a current address. And I want to know for sure. It sounds like you know, whereas I wouldn't know where to look. Other than lying on the form (transferee), the laws to break for transferring a firearm are usually on the side of the transferor.

Thanks! Looks like I will have to check "(See 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(1)©, 27 C.F.R. § 478.124©(3)(i), and 27 C.F.R. § 478.11)" I see no direct citation there by the ATF saying that documents must by statute or regulation have current address, only the ATF telling the FFL that they must make sure of it. Further, looks like the burden (if there is anything beyond license status) is on the FFL and I read nothing suggesting peril to the purchaser. I'm guessing it's just a procedural thing with the ATF, since they did cite actual legal requirements earlier where applicable. I'll know nothing until I look through the law, and probably less then ;) , and then cross-check with some people I know. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :)

Thanks! Looks like I will have to check "(See 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(1)©, 27 C.F.R. § 478.124©(3)(i), and 27 C.F.R. § 478.11)" I see no direct citation there by the ATF saying that documents must by statute or regulation have current address, only the ATF telling the FFL that they must make sure of it. Further, looks like the burden (if there is anything beyond license status) is on the FFL and I read nothing suggesting peril to the purchaser. I'm guessing it's just a procedural thing with the ATF, since they did cite actual legal requirements earlier where applicable. I'll know nothing until I look through the law, and probably less then ;) , and then cross-check with some people I know. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :)

Just checking and I think you know this, but you do realize that Paul is a FFL, Right??