Sign in to follow this  
rszmit

If you can build a 1911

Ok ladies and gents like the title says, if you can build your own 1911 to your own specs what parts would you use and why (price doesn't matter)? Example frame from Caspian, slide from whoever etc. Mods if this should should moved to a different area please do so.

if you call or go online i think brownells will send you this huge 1911 parts catalog from many many companies and you just build from there

I know that I'm just looking for people's opinion on what they would use and why.

If money wasn't an issue Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, DoubleStar, Les Baer and whatever other high-end 1911 makers can build one to my exact specifications.

Not getting the point what parts would you use

If the build is from scratch for a single stack 1911, I would use a matched frame and slide from Caspian. Ed Brown grip/thumb safeties, slide stop, barrel bushing & links. Schueman match barrel, EGW sear, Koenig hammer, etc.

if the build is using a base model 1911, I would start with a Colt plus the innards mentioned above.

my 0.02 cents.

If I was to have a 1911 build up to my specs I would have it built by the Springfield Custom Shop. Their work is top notch and build quality is just as good or better than the other manufactures.

I would use their Springfield Custom Carry (Model #PC9102) as the base gun.

Custom-fit slide to national match frame

Custom-fit match barrel & bushing

Polish feed ramp & throat barrel

Springfield Custom tool steel match hammer & sear

Fitted speed trigger w/custom tuned 4.5 lb. trigger pull

Tuned for total reliability

Lowered & flared ejection port

Tuned & polished extractor

Standard recoil spring guide assembly

Custom-fit beavertail grip safety

Extended single-side thumb safety

Low-mount Novak rear sight w/dovetail serrated ramp front sight

Beveled & polished magazine well

Checkered cocobolo grips

Premium matte blue or parkerized finish

Carry Bevel” complete pistol

I would then add whatever additional features I wanted such as finish, sights, front and back strap treatment, cosmetic work, ect.

Fusion Firearms 5" Scout frame with a rail and a Caspian Damascus steel slide. All other parts in stainless (safety, beavertail, yadda-yadda). Grips by Sarge in some kind of exotic burled wood. Frame painted Cerakote Ti blue. Slide left natural. Most likely chambered in 9, although if cost is not a problem as far as ammo, maybe not. Probably do 10mm.

I am beginning to investigate building my own. It's a daunting project as I have never done anything like it. However, it's not rocket science either. Probably be a 2 year project, which is fine. If I do it, it'll be a mild steel slide. I'll leave the Damascus slide to the pros.

C

I like Caspian. They are very accomodating on giving me exactly what I want. This round I am using a lot of EGW's bar stock parts. Barrel is a storm lake.

Heres a previous build also on Caspian frame and slide.

Very nice Ray Ray said I should talk to you. When the time comes expect me pming you

Well, I've done the box of parts thing for a 1911 and 2011. There's only a few bits that I have opinions outside "buy good quality" for the part.

10-8 slide stops. Especially on a 2011 where it is recessed into the frame a bit, their design is outstanding. very grippy without being snaggy, and it isa high quality bar stock part with a good heat treat that comes in .45 and 9/38/40 profile if you want to build something other than a .45. If you are building a .45 and want to go wit a slightly less aggressive design, then cylinder & slide makes a nice one.

Thumb safeties. If you have longer fingers, and want big ambi safeties, the wilson high ride is a superior design compared to say the ed brown. I used the ed browns in one gun and had to reshape them a lot to get it to not suck. If you want slim ambi ones for carry, then the caspian ones are nice.

grip safeties. If not disabling for competition, which I don't, get one of the ones with a big bump. I like ed brown, or STI. The STI has a narrowed beaver tail to facilitate a higher grip, but if you have pudgy hands, the ed brown may suit you better. I went ed mostly cause I like the accent grooves for looks.

Triggers. Get the right length for you. SV's insert system makes that relatively easy for a price and they look cool, STI's gunsmith fit composite does as well for a lot less and is very light. Dlask triggers are neat looking until the second you touch them and they get a grungy color never to be like new again. For me, I like a flat trigger best, but that's me.

Hammers. You want good and light. I like EGW's koenig hammer, but for a new build I'd probably go with their HD hammer as I like the looks a bit better than the koenig. For disconnecter and sear, I'd go either EGW or cylinder & slide.

Hammer strut I go with the EGW extra long, usually titanium.

For a mainspring housing, in 1911s, I usually go with the smith & alexander arched with magwell, but the arched is purely cause I have large hands.

Slide, STI or caspian. They are pretty much the only ones I know of that are readily available in lots of configurations and are appropriately hard (caspien is a bit better on optimal hardness).

Beyond that... Stay away from stainless fames and slides, the gunsmiths hate it.

Caspian frame and slide, kart barrel, heinie sights, egw slide stop, harrison ignition parts, ed brown beavertail grip safety, Stan chen magwell, ed brown thumb safety, egw ejector, extractor, firing pin, fp stop. Wilson combat etm mags. Get chuck rogers to do your metal work.

Like to share with you what I found on an auction site. this person was selling a springfield 1911 that was sent to wilson combat for a full parts exchange & service (wilson parts). he's got the invoice for proof. and he'll even sell you the original spare springfield parts that came out of the pistol. now why would anyone go through that expense when you can get a wilson in the first place???

Like to share with you what I found on an auction site. this person was selling a springfield 1911 that was sent to wilson combat for a full parts exchange & service (wilson parts). he's got the invoice for proof. and he'll even sell you the original spare springfield parts that came out of the pistol. now why would anyone go through that expense when you can get a wilson in the first place???

Because you don't have any idea of who a competent gunsmith is, so you go with a big name who will take lots of your money while you wait forever for them to tinker with your gun you aren't 100% pleased with?