WOLFIE4305

Rock Island Armory 1911

After shooting at the range today and looking through the glass case I spotted a RIA 1911 at a pretty hard to beat price. I put in a price request on here to see what I could find them since I really can't justify spending a grand or more on a big name or custom 1911.

So to my point....

Does anyone have any experiences with the RIA 1911's? Pros? Cons?

I bought a GI model, and have since put a beavertail on it & changed the sights from those itty bitty ones to 3 dot. Shoots good for me, rarely have problems, and those are mag related. I am planning on keeping it for now, but I am looking for a nicer 1911 so I can have the best of both worlds.

I have actually been replacing some parts on my RIA to make it an exact clone of my original US Army Colt. little things like the safeties mainspring housing hammer ect. So far, every original GI part has gone right into the RIA without an issue. That tells me it isn't an advertising gimmick, they are made on the same tooling.

Cant beat 'em. I saw your price request and that you are looking at a GI, I would suggest otherwise. The GI sights blow, and since they are GI style, the front sight is staked in so you cant just slap an aftermarket set on, it would be a big gunsmithing job to mill the slide with dovetails. The slight upcharge of the tactical gets you MUCH better sights that are readily replaceable, plus skeleton trigger & hammer along with I think more of a beavertail.

This is, of course, unless you want a historically accurate pistol for re-enactments or whatever. Thats the only reason I'de have a GI (and I do). Here it is being a holster queen, lol

me.jpg

I have a RIA Tactical .45 and love it. Would certainly recommend it to anyone, very solid gun for the price.

I would get this one before the base model or Taurus. I've heard too many bad things about Taurus and this can still be modified later to your liking.

If you want the cheapest 1911 around then go for it. BUT, if you buy it don't like the sights or the grips or whatever the money you spend to replace the parts will be as much as a decent 1911. Now, if you want a 1911 with the "bells and whistles" of high end producers then look at a Taurus.

If you want the cheapest 1911 around then go for it. BUT, if you buy it don't like the sights or the grips or whatever the money you spend to replace the parts will be as much as a decent 1911. Now, if you want a 1911 with the "bells and whistles" of high end producers then look at a Taurus.

Repeat after me Ray...

STI SPARTAN

:)

• Like 1

I just went through this process. I have had 1911s in the past, some great (SA Loaded Champion) some not so great (SA Loaded Fullsize). I really miss a Colt Combat Commander I stupidly traded for a shotgun. So after about 5 years, I wanted to get into a 1911 again. I wanted to spend about +/- $500 with some bells and whistles (ambi safety and better sights were must haves). I also did not want a 80 style fps. I shopped the following (these prices are estimated)

RIA Tactical $475

Taurus PT1911 $550

STI Spartan $650

Desert Eagle $650

Ruger SR1 $650

I bought the RIA Tactical in Matte Nickel. It had all features i wanted plus some, was $200 cheaper, was as good quality and robust wise as others, just not as well finished in places. I have read numerous reports of how great these are and a few issues. One thing I like is that the Master Smith at RIA USA (Arnel is his name) trolls the boards and will answer questions readily. All other candidates minus the Taurus needed ambi safety added.. so add $50 to price. Now your up to $700... for that much why not got to $800 and shop STI Trojan, SIGS, SA Loaded etc etc etc.

I hope you see what I am getting at... If you first foray into 1911s is going to be enjoyable, get the gun and lots of ammo (like 1000 rds) for the price of another gun. By the way almost all manufacturers of 1911s have issues reported. ALL. Look on the web and you will find negative comments on all brands... every single one. I challenge anyone to find me ONE Brand that received no negative comments... under $1200. Of course some get more then others... due some research first. The point I am trying to make is jump on the gun you want. You will learn the platform, figure out what works for you and what does not work for you and grow from there.