BigHayden

.22 semi-auto suggestions

I just put in for a couple of permits, and I'm looking to fill a missing niche in my "collection" (well, a couple, actually, but for this thread we'll just stick with one). I don't have a .22 pistol.

I mainly own 1911's (a DW CBOB, Kimber Compact Stainless, and a Springfield EMP 9mm), so I thought about getting a full size 1911 in .45 and a .22 conversion kit for it. I also thought about a dedicated 1911 in .22, or a Ruger 22/45 with the removable panels (the older style with the built in plastic 1911ish grips is just way too thin for me to hold).

I'm going to be adding a Glock 19 as well, so I thought about getting another Glock (maybe a G22) with a .22 conversion kit. And I've even looked at the Sig P226 and Beretta 92fs with their conversion kits.

I've handled a Browning Buckmark and the little Walther P22, and both of those feel good too, though I've read mixed reviews about the reliability of the P22.

I have some simple criteria for buying a .22, and I realize that I'm going to have to compromise on some of my wish list. I have 3 boys and the oldest just turned 7, so this is going to be a "first handgun" that they will each shoot. This means it should fit smaller hands. My oldest did handle a 22/45 with the RPs, and that fit his hand pretty well, so that should give you guys an idea of what I'm looking for. I'd like to use it for training type shooting, which a conversion kit on a gun I'll use for defense would fit the bill nicely. The problem I have there is that some of the full size guns can get kind of heavy, especially the 1911's, or the grips can be rather large for small hands, i.e. the Glock, or both in the case of the P226 or 92fs. The last requirement (the one that's not really negotiable) is that it has to be a semi-auto. No wheel guns for me. There is nothing wrong with revolvers, but revolvers in general don't do much for me, so I'm staying away from them for now. Maybe in the future I'll pick up one or two, but not anytime soon.

I'm interested to hear from people who have taught others to shoot, especially younger kids, what guns they found to be suitable for small hands.

Thanks!

Haven't taught any young kids, but my GSG1911 is my go-to teaching gun for new shooters. All of them loved starting out on it. Racking the slide is incredibly easy, no recoil, reliable, and it doesn't look like a space gun.

• Like 1

in a 1911 style, I would agree with Jon, GSG 1911 is a good fit, however if really small hands are a concern, how about a MK II or III, wife has the Hunter and my daughter who is 12 years old has no problem working anything on the gun, and it's very easy to rack. Either one isn't a short term use gun, they are a great addition to any gun collection for shooters of any age or experience IMHO.

As I've said before, I really like the Ruger Mark lll Hunter.

10118.jpg

Yep, that's the one I have, but that may be a bit too heavy in the front and in general for his kids. If you're looking at a .22LR that's 1911'ish, don't overlook the Colt-Umarex .22LR 1911. It comes in (3) styles. I have the Rail version, but wish I had held out for the Gold Cup Trophy edition.

http://www.colt22rim...?page=colt-1911

I own quite a few and my sons favored the P22 with the 5" barrel. My one son is 20 now and it's still his favorite. The MKIII Hunter is a great gun but a little heavy with the longer barrel.

Forgot about the P22 and I even have one but I need a sear spring and I am also going to make it an Open Gun for OBRAMS and Steel. Another great gun for small hands.

I'll bring my late 70's S&W41 over on Tuesday for you and your oldest son to handle

(Sorry, no live firing unless you have a super secret range in the cellar) :haha:

The S&W22A's are real hit and miss (trigger, fit, etc)

They're wannabe 41's without the benefits

Based on your criteria, I would get a Ruger Mark II or Mark III non-bull barrel semi-automatic with the 4" barrel.

http://www.ruger.com...eets/10116.html

Or, there is a distributor exclusive Mark III 22/45 with a 4.5" barrel.

http://www.ruger.com...eets/10150.html

There are so many aftermarket ideas for the Ruger semi-autos, you could even get different size grips. One that you use that fills your hand, and a smaller set for the kids when they are with you.

I know you said no wheel guns, but have you handled one? For kids, my recommendation would not be a semi-auto. It would be a 22LR revolver with a suitable size grip and a hammer the kids can pull back. Check out one of the new Ruger SP101s before you adamantly say no. This is my number one recommendation. They are easier to load and will shoot just about any 22. I put an aftermarket Hogue grip on mine and love it. If you get an SP101, you might want an aftermarket grip, but the stock grip is probably a good size for children.

http://www.ruger.com...heets/5765.html

Or, this might be a good weight for children and quite versatile. I want one:

http://www.ruger.com...heets/5410.html

The Charter Arms Pathfinder might also be a nice gun if you are on a budget. Check out the weight.

http://www.charterfi...nder_72240.html

You cannot go wrong with a revolver! It is safer, easier to load (mags can be hard to load), easier to cleanup (just dump the spent cartridges out), and it will teach your children trigger control. And, you cannot beat the feel and innate accuracy of a revolver. And, remember, Semi-autos are finicky with ammunition and a revolver will feed just about anything.

I would stick with a double action, but you could consider a single action revolver such as a Ruger Single Six/ten or Bearcat. That would be a pretty safe bet with small children, but because it is all-metal, I would get a shorter barrelled 22LR that weighs less.

http://www.ruger.com...heets/8101.html

And, there is just something that feels right about holding a metal gun with cylinders... Semi-autos are nice, but they are not revolvers.

Another thought or two would be for you to get in a semi-auto would be to get the Advantage Arms 22LR conversion slide for the Glock for them to learn on, and since it wouldn't require a pistol permit, you could get the revolver too. Or, lastly, the new scaled down Browning 1911 might be nice, especially for the kids and it would be fun to shoot.

I'll bring my late 70's S&W41 over on Tuesday for you and your oldest son to handle

(Sorry, no live firing unless you have a super secret range in the cellar) :haha:

The S&W22A's are real hit and miss (trigger, fit, etc)

They're wannabe 41's without the benefits

That 41 was pretty nicely balanced, but I'm not sure I want to spend $700+ for a .22... Not that I'm against spending good money for good guns (my 9mm EMP, DW CBOB, and Kimber compact were all north of $700), but there are plenty of good .22 pistols out there for well under $500.

I really want to check out that new SR22 from Ruger as well. I know it has its critics, but it looks like it might be a good fit for what I need.

If you are still looking then I would suggest you buy a 1911 with a lightweight frame and a good Marvel or another .22 conversion kit. I have a GSG .22 and it's good but you said you are looking for another pistol as well as a .22 so I would recommend a nice pistol with a dedicated .22 slide that way your kids can learn the 1911 platform and the light frame and thin grips keeps it manageable for them. Happy hunting :)

I finally settled on the Buck Mark Camper. It felt the best in my hands and seemed thin/small enough for small hands, and the price was good.

The Browning always seems to hang with the Ruger for accuracy (and Tactical Solutions has a barrel for it, so if I ever do need it to be more accurate, I can get a new barrel without having to use an HPP like I would for the Ruger) and it seems like everyone who has one has very few problems with them. I'll have to strip it this weekend, clean it, and go put some rounds down range to see how it does. Thanks for the input guys.