johna hex

Saiga ammo

The ammo that works best in a Saiga is.....whatever you want to feed it.

Honestly, I'd avoid corrosive ammo if you can. I've taken my Saiga out several times and haven't cleaned it yet.....hell last time I took it out, I put two hand-fulls of dirt into the receiver and STILL haven't cleaned it. I pulled it out of the case to show a friend, and a small rock fell out. That's the luxury of not having to clean it RIGHT after going shooting. Shoot whatever steel cased non-corrosive ammo you can find.

I agree with most... non-corrosive is better. The small amount you will save per round on the corrosive stuff is not worth the effort needed to clean off the salts. Not worth it to me anyway. Just like the rest of the bunch I shoot all types of steel ammo. Everything being equal... I would choose Wolf and Bear Ammo last. Of course its just as good as the rest of the brands... its just that these two brands are typically a few cents more per round. The Tula and Uly is cheaper typically. And all of my variants love the Tula and Uly. I have tons of it... and shoot tons of it. Both of those brands are my "go-to" brands. It's non-corrosive ammo and cheaper than Wolf and the Bear brands. That's just my opinion.

If you find a good deal on corrosive, its not that bad. No argument that non-corrosive is much easier as you can let the rifle sit between cleanings. Corrosive its a good idea to clean it the day you shoot it.

Why shoot corrosive? Sometimes you can find higher quality corrosive ammo cheaper or close to the same price of cheapest non-corrosive ammo, like that Yugo brass cased ammo linked above.

Buy a bottle of Ballistol and an empty spray bottle. Mix a 1:10 ratio Ballistol to water in the bottle. Shake and spray inside the bore, gas system, and anything that has cartridge residue. Wipe away and clean the gun as usual with whatever gun cleaning products that you use. A heatgun or blow-dryer is nice to get the gun bone dry after the water spray, but not necessary provided you maintain the gun well (wipe down with oil etc for storage).

Corrosive is no biggie. The Yugo is a little cheaper than wolf, you recover 2 cents per round in scrap brass above that, AND its the most accurate sure-fire ammo out there (except the old chinese steel core stuff).

I clean every gun every time I shoot it anyways, so theres no point NOT to shoot corrosive for me.

Just an FYI and Happy New Year.

Cabelas latest sale. $3.99 for 7.62 x 39. Min. purch. 1 box of 20 as in <20c a round.

I have noticed that the same factory in Russia pumps out Herters, Tula, Ulyanovsk and probably more. The cartridge stamps are all the same.

Just an FYI and Happy New Year.

Cabelas latest sale. $3.99 for 7.62 x 39. Min. purch. 1 box of 20 as in <20c a round.

I have noticed that the same factory in Russia pumps out Herters, Tula, Ulyanovsk and probably more. The cartridge stamps are all the same.

Is that sale price in-store only? Because the internet doesn't have it, it's on sale for $5.99.

I neglected to comment on the accuracy and quality of some of the corrosive ammo... which I agree can sometimes be better ammo... definitely! But for me... that miniscule gain in accuracy isn't worth the cleaning time and effort. I havent cleaned one of my variants in about a year and it has maybe 2000-3000 through it since its last cleaning! With corrosive ammo you simply can't do that. And the cost... .02 cents per round difference??? Really??? I mean... I guess it can add about $20 bux to every thousand rounds... but that's such a small difference in price as compared to current production non-corrosive. I mean $20 bux is $20 bux but coming back from the range a dozen times and never cleaning the rifle is priceless. I will tell you this though... when I clean that particular rifle this winter... it will be a **** mother to get clean. It will be a never ending faucet of Copper!

Whether corrosive or not I recommend Sweet's 7.62 Bore Cleaning Solvent... it contains 5% ammonia. I use many different solvents but Sweet's works well with corrosive. But be careful with your chrome lined barrels... don't let it sit too long.