Edgeword

Moving (back) into Jersey......

Left my home state approx. 15 years ago. During my stay in MI, I obtained my CCW (7+) years now. Also during that stay, I obtained several handguns and shotguns. What is the safest way to bring them into this state? Currently they are located in a a state with reciprocity to MI. Do I need a FID? Do I need to go through FFL? I do have registrations for handguns, not for shotguns (Not required in MI). Currently a GSSF member and want to shoot in NJ, not travel out of state.

Help me out guys!

As long as the guns are NJ compliant, all you need to do is bring them. No registration.

Semi-autos - max mag capacity = 15

AR's AK's and other auto-loading long arms, play the evil features game. Easier if you tell us what you have and we can tell you if it is compliant, or what needs to be done to make it compliant.

Welcome to the gulag.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Welcome back! You are likely to get responses saying "don't move back", etc. I'd rather just answer your questions:

The good news is what you need to do is........ nothing! You can place them in your car (trunk, unloaded, closed container) and drive them right to your new home. There is no requirement to register them with any authority. You need an FID to purchase ammo when you get here, not to own, use the guns.

You did mention they are in a state with MI reciprocity. If you have them shipped back to NJ you need to have them sent to an FFL holder here. The FFL holder will perform a NICS check and you are good to go. However, you can only receive one handgun a month and will need to get purchase permits for each or seek an exemption to receive multiple handguns from NJSP.

You are best off driving them back here yourself and avoid all the hassle!

I hadn't thought of the ship to yourself option. Also an alternative.

HOWEVER - and this is critical -- drive from MI to NJ without getting within a 500 mile radius of any of the boroughs of New York City! A bit of an exaggeration, but NYC does not take kindly to firearms transported through their territory. It's not worth fighting that battle.

Are you back in NJ now? We could meet at P'burg Pistol Club some day.

Thanks for the replies. Pistols - Glocks 34 (2) Shotgun Rem. 1100 Should be no issues.....

Glock 34's have a std mag capacity of 17 rounds - that's a no-no. 15 round maximum.

The 1100 is fine as long as it isn't "tacticooled" out - no pistold grip, max mag capacity of six rounds.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Make sure you buy all the guns you want before moving back. If you want a handgun or two that you don't have, get them and/ or trade them before getting here. It will be easier to buy before you get here and get pistol permits, etc.

You may want to give the forum a heads up where you will be moving too so that they can give you pertinent information about what to expect from the local law enforcement in terms of getting an ID, etc.. The police dept. may give you a registration form, but it is optional. Bring all pertinent paperwork showing you are the owner and when you bought, though. If you are stopped and they take your guns, you may need to try and get back.

I hadn't thought of the ship to yourself option. Also an alternative.

HOWEVER - and this is critical -- drive from MI to NJ without getting within a 500 mile radius of any of the boroughs of New York City! A bit of an exaggeration, but NYC does not take kindly to firearms transported through their territory. It's not worth fighting that battle.

Are you back in NJ now? We could meet at P'burg Pistol Club some day.

Not only is that an exaggeration, but it is simply a ridiculous statement.

1. The entire state of NJ is well within 500 miles of NYC. In fact, the entire state is less than 175 miles from NYC.

2. You can legally transport through NYC in accordance with FOPA. I've done so many times.

3. Look at a map and tell me if it looks like NYC is in between Michigan and anywhere in New Jersey.

Not only is that an exaggeration, but it is simply a ridiculous statement.

1. The entire state of NJ is well within 500 miles of NYC. In fact, the entire state is less than 175 miles from NYC.

2. You can legally transport through NYC in accordance with FOPA. I've done so many times.

3. Look at a map and tell me if it looks like NYC is in between Michigan and anywhere in New Jersey.

You, sir, have the same level of a sense of humor as did Attila the Hun. Do you not recognize embellishment when you read it?

So far as the NYC authorities recognizing FOPA: Sure they will, perhaps, following the legal arguments presented during a court case. Meanwhile, the opportunity to bunk with several hundred of your closest friends at Riker's Island would be an unforgettable experience. Not recommended for children or other living animals. You state you have transported firearms many times through NYC. Well, bravo for you. On how many of those journeys did was your vehicle inspected or did you volunteer to the authorities you had firearms onboard? I dare say the answer was zero or we would have been reading about you in the news.

So far as geography is concerned, see the first sentence of this reply.

To the OP: my advice remains unchanged. Avoid NYC at all costs.

Jeez!

If he took a long detour from MI to NJ via NYC, he'd be in violation of transportation article anyway, since that would be an "unreasonable deviation".

Edgeword: once you cross the NJ border, you gotta drive with your guns straight to your domicile. Transportation of firearms is allowed only in between: your home, a shooting range or a club or a gunsmith, a place of business that you own, a gun exhibition, or hunting grounds (I hope I got everything right).

If he took a long detour from MI to NJ via NYC, he'd be in violation of transportation article anyway, since that would be an "unreasonable deviation".

Edgeword: once you cross the NJ border, you gotta drive with your guns straight to your domicile. Transportation of firearms is allowed only in between: your home, a shooting range or a club or a gunsmith, a place of business that you own, a gun exhibition, or hunting grounds (I hope I got everything right).

Please stop spreading misinformation. First of all the deviation BS only applies in NJ. Second, if he has an NJFID he can transport long guns all day long even in NJ. It's only handguns that must be from home to range etc..

Please stop spreading misinformation. First of all the deviation BS only applies in NJ. Second, if he has an NJFID he can transport long guns all day long even in NJ. It's only handguns that must be from home to range etc..

I admit you're right about the 1st part of my statement. A "deviation" doesn't start until he crosses NJ border.

You, sir, have the same level of a sense of humor as did Attila the Hun. Do you not recognize embellishment when you read it?

So far as the NYC authorities recognizing FOPA: Sure they will, perhaps, following the legal arguments presented during a court case. Meanwhile, the opportunity to bunk with several hundred of your closest friends at Riker's Island would be an unforgettable experience. Not recommended for children or other living animals. You state you have transported firearms many times through NYC. Well, bravo for you. On how many of those journeys did was your vehicle inspected or did you volunteer to the authorities you had firearms onboard? I dare say the answer was zero or we would have been reading about you in the news.

So far as geography is concerned, see the first sentence of this reply.

To the OP: my advice remains unchanged. Avoid NYC at all costs.

Jeez!

Humor, by definition, has to be funny. If it was your intent to be funny, your hyperbole failed. If it was suppose to be just an exaggeration, and not funny, why would I need to have a sense of humor about it?

Why would I voluntarily give up my 4th Amendment right while exercising my 2nd? Of course I didn't get searched. I didn't even get stopped. I fail to see your point of even bringing this up.

Your point about not traveling through NYC with firearms is justified. Your exaggerations and attempt at explaining why was and is ridiculous.

I admit you're right about the 1st part of my statement. A "deviation" doesn't start until he crosses NJ border.

he is actually right about the seconds part.. with a FID long guns do NOT have to be within exempted locations.. just transported in trunk or cased.. and unloaded.. transported as normal..

Humor, by definition, has to be funny. If it was your intent to be funny, your hyperbole failed. If it was suppose to be just an exaggeration, and not funny, why would I need to have a sense of humor about it?

Why would I voluntarily give up my 4th Amendment right while exercising my 2nd? Of course I didn't get searched. I didn't even get stopped. I fail to see your point of even bringing this up.

Your point about not traveling through NYC with firearms is justified. Your exaggerations and attempt at explaining why was and is ridiculous.

I rest my case.

• Like 1

Thank you one and all for the informative replies. The laws in this state are so ambiguous that I am concerned about moving firearms here. Just to clarify, NO NJFID to own or transport, only purchase. Transport is the normal unloaded, in a locked case, magazines and ammo separate. In a pick-up, behind passenger seat on floor, preferably secured to passenger chair rest or under rear bench seat if possible. Currently still have out of state credentials because of a recently issued CCW (issued for more than seven years). My goal is to purchase several items before I relinquish that right (CCW). I truly appreciate the response. By the way, my area is north west Jersey.....Daedalus, definite possibility. Interestingly I used that club because the forum required a club to be listed.

Thank you one and all for the informative replies. The laws in this state are so ambiguous that I am concerned about moving firearms here. Just to clarify, NO NJFID to own or transport, only purchase. Transport is the normal unloaded, in a locked case, magazines and ammo separate. In a pick-up, behind passenger seat on floor, preferably secured to passenger chair rest or under rear bench seat if possible. Currently still have out of state credentials because of a recently issued CCW (issued for more than seven years). My goal is to purchase several items before I relinquish that right (CCW). I truly appreciate the response. By the way, my area is north west Jersey.....Daedalus, definite possibility. Interestingly I used that club because the forum required a club to be listed.

As I read it, a FID means you do not need to be under one of the expemptions to posses a long gun.

2C:39-5c Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

If one does not have a FID, they must fall under one of the exemptions of 2C:39-6, in this case 2C:39-6f.

If you don't have a FID, and you don't fall under one of the exemptions of 2C:39-6f, which requires firearms be transported directly to/from one authorized place to another authorized place, the possession of a long arm is illegal.

Qel Hoth,

All firearms were legally purchased where I was living at the time. Why would I need a FID for firearms already owned and purchased legally? I have not been told that I must have a FID to transport legally owned and purchased firearms into this state. Anyone care to comment on this????

Qel Hoth,

All firearms were legally purchased where I was living at the time. Why would I need a FID for firearms already owned and purchased legally? I have not been told that I must have a FID to transport legally owned and purchased firearms into this state. Anyone care to comment on this????

If the guns are legally purchased in a different state(You were a resident or permanent duty station for example), and they are legal to own in NJ(no assault weapons, 16+ rnd mags, etc.) then they are legal for you to take to your home in NJ, to shoot at the range, your business, take to a gun smith or hunt with.

Furthermore, a Firearms PURCHASER ID does not confer any legality onto hanguns. It does make the possession of long guns outside of the exemptions legal, but does nothing whatsoever for handguns.

Malsua,

Thank you. The firearms are stock glocks and non-modified remington 1100s all purchased legally via ccw where I was. All should be transportable to NJ in the proper fashion. Moreover, they should be transportable to and from PA, or a local range. I do not need to purchase ammo. I do understand that a FID is needed to purchase handgun ammo or a firearm in this state, along with the proper paper work. Correct?

Malsua,

Thank you. The firearms are stock glocks and non-modified remington 1100s all purchased legally via ccw where I was. All should be transportable to NJ in the proper fashion. Moreover, they should be transportable to and from PA, or a local range. I do not need to purchase ammo. I do understand that a FID is needed to purchase handgun ammo or a firearm in this state, along with the proper paper work. Correct?

As mentioned above, careful with those particular Glocks since their default configuration in free states is illegal in NJ. That said, transport to NJ properly and transport within the NJ exemptions and you are good to go. Remember, there is to be no reasonable deviations when transporting within the exemptions. To/from directly, only.

To purchase handgun ammo in NJ, you need a firearms purchaser ID card or a permit to purchase a pistol. Rifle ammo does not require it. Essentially any ammo that can be used in a handgun is controlled. This includes .22, .410 and others.