this_is_nascar

Police Defend Shooting of 8th Grader Who had Pellet Gun

Yeah, terrible situation. Sounds like it was justified. Something that always bothers me about these cases is how people complain about the excessive amount of bullets used. They simply don't understand that it's training, multiple officers, and you can literally put a few bullets in someone while they are still standing and moving forward, etc. In this case 3 bullets, I'm surprised it is only three considering two officers fired.

I do agree that the officers acted accordingly. It made me think about my 12 year old son who got a couple of really nice airsoft guns for Christmas from me a couple weeks ago. Both of which are replicas of real firearms (with an orange tip of course.....but still). As much as I trust him not to take them to school, one of the first things I am doing in a couple of hours is to lock them up with my guns.

and force him to read this article!

I feel sorry for the officers for having to do the shooting. Shooting anyone, especially a child, even if just is not a nice feeling.

I just talked to him on the phone about it and I got, "OK Dad, no problem". I gave a quick version of the article to him and I almost got upset at the thought but he understands which is good.

• Like 3

Truly sad, and it's one reason I myself don't care for "gun look-alikes" as in these air guns, pettet guns and such. The potential to be acquired and used by minors is high and the responsibility aspect of it is low. That's a dangerous combination right there. Law Enforcement is trained to shoot to kill and you can't blame this officer while staring at another gun barrel facing in his direction. Parents need to be held more accountable for any minor with these look alikes. And you certainly can't take the threat lightly either, not after the recent history of school shootings as we've seen. Very sad but justified outcome..

I do agree that the officers acted accordingly. It made me think about my 12 year old son who got a couple of really nice airsoft guns for Christmas from me a couple weeks ago. Both of which are replicas of real firearms (with an orange tip of course.....but still). As much as I trust him not to take them to school, one of the first things I am doing in a couple of hours is to lock them up with my guns.

The "Orange Tip" thing to me is plain stupid (appropriate for NJ) and what will we see next? The bad guys painting the tips of their Glocks orange...

But to get back on point, you are a responsible parent. Unfortunately you are also in the minority today. Good for you and your Son though.

I guess no one ever told 15 year-old Jaime "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"

Condolences to his parents on their loss and condolences to the involved officers on their tragic situations.

I hope for healing for everyone involved (though I sincerely doubt it)

"Why was so much excess force used on a minor?"

Because a minor with a real gun can cause as much bodily harm with a firearm as an adult can? Just a thought. When the bullet leaves the gun, it does not discriminate whether the person firing the gun is a minor or adult....so why should the police?

I wasn't there, but I feel that the police acted accordingly from what we all know. Don't take this as cold or insensitive, it's sad that a 15 year old boy lost his life. But I have no qualms with how the police reacted.

I just talked to him on the phone about it and I got, "OK Dad, no problem". I gave a quick version of the article to him and I almost got upset at the thought but he understands which is good.

That is what it is all about. Speak to the kids about things like this and it likely won't be your kids.

Police Defend Shooting of 8th Grader Who had Pellet Gun

I don't understand what's there to defend.

1) Even a 5 year old would understand the phrase "drop the xxxxxx".

2) Do the cops wait to get shot to make sure it's not a real gun?

3) From the info gathered (911 call, eyewitness statements, and police radio communication), it sounds like everything was done the right way.

Based on the information in the article, it would appear to be justified. We will see if the information is correct. I would be interested in hearing what students/teachers who were there have to say. Because we all know police reports never have mistakes.

Does anyone else find it odd that a 15 year old was in 8th grade? That's quite a bit older than the average 8th grader...

Lol yes i think i was 15 heading into tenth grade about to be 16

I did my math...I turned 17 in 11th grade....16 in 10th...15 in 9th....14 in 8th...

I started school 1 year late because of my age (i was born in october)....so 13 is the average age in 8th grade..

Basically this probably means he failed 1 or 2 times depending when his bday was.

That could be another reason he was the way he was....he was being held back, why all his friends kept moving forward. He probably had some bottled up aggression.

But just remember....no matter how old the victim is. 15...or 50....if a cop guns down someone who has a "gun" real, or fake...the family always blames the police for using excessive force.

That could be another reason he was the way he was....he was being held back, why all his friends kept moving forward. He probably had some bottled up aggression.

This is what I was getting at, but didn't really want to come right out and say it. I was hoping everyone would read between the lines :D

But just remember....no matter how old the victim is. 15...or 50....if a cop guns down someone who has a "gun" real, or fake...the family always blames the police for using excessive force.

This. But what people don't understand is that the cops didn't hold back because no matter how old the person is, 15 or 50, they're just as dangerous with a gun. That's what pissed me off about the father asking why they had to use such excessive force with a minor....well because a minor can still kill someone with a gun!! Can you imagine what would have happened if it was a real gun, and the cops didn't use force to take him down? What if this kid shot and killed several innocent people because the cops didn't shoot quickly enough? Then everyone would be crying that they didn't act quickly enough. Most scenarios that police officers are forced into are lose-lose situations, and it saddens me to see the lack of respect some people have. Monday morning quarterbacking is easy, try acting 100% properly when the entire encounter is over in 5 seconds, and you're considering taking a life to protect others. Yea there's SOME bad eggs, but most of these stories I read about police officers, I truly believe that they acted the best they could given the circumstances.

wow. You can just feel the media trying to cash in on a story they want to blow up.

Kid walking around with a gun in a school gets shot by the poloce. We're done here right?

Wrong "parents want to know why the excess of force."

WTF? THe world has forgotten everything?

Let's let the grieving parents lead the Monday morning quarterbacks. New$ theatre on the backs and lives of the innocent, no matter who or what.