compujas

Shooting w/ Rx Glasses

I have the Randolph Rangers. Seed Optical in Bridgewater is where I bought them as the optometrist there is a shooter himself. He will design/cut the lens differently depending on your sport. For example I shoot clay targets so the focal point(I'm sure it's called something else) is above center on the lens. For pistol shooters he centers it. I like the ranger system but it can get pricey. Every time your Rx changes start reaching for your wallet. Ranger also makes a model called the Sporter which is a fixed lens and you can get different colored clip lenses to put over them. That would probably be more economical.

You have their contact info? I do need to get an eye exam and new glasses :)

Don't wear just regular glasses. They are NOT designed to withstand any impact and can creat their own hazards.

skip to 2:00 or so. Yes its a cheesy OSHA video, but its right.

If it isn't Z87.1+ rated, I wont wear it. Z87.1+ means it can withstand a 1/4" stell ball at 150ft/s (for glasses, goggles and face shields are higher).

A number of years ago I scratched my left cornea playing hockey. Fortunately it didn't effect my vision at all, but it is the single most painful thing I have ever experienced, and there is simply no way to avoid the pain. Eye open? Not too bad, until you blink, then you think someone just dragged a razor blade accross your eye. Eye closed? Feels like the cut is on fire.

I have the Randolph Rangers. Seed Optical in Bridgewater is where I bought them as the optometrist there is a shooter himself. He will design/cut the lens differently depending on your sport. For example I shoot clay targets so the focal point(I'm sure it's called something else) is above center on the lens. For pistol shooters he centers it. I like the ranger system but it can get pricey. Every time your Rx changes start reaching for your wallet. Ranger also makes a model called the Sporter which is a fixed lens and you can get different colored clip lenses to put over them. That would probably be more economical.

Haha you go to Floyd as well! He is the man. Really nice guy. I have been going to that eye doctor and Floyd for the past like 10 years. And he shoots!? I never knew this and I have even brought up shooting before but he kept quiet.

Does he sell the Randolph Rangers there? I remember seeing a little set up he had for shooting glasses, but they were wayyy out of my price range. I know I know, don't be cheap about saving your eyes but I feel like he quoted about $400. I was on Randolph's site and the Ranger frames run around $100-160. Maybe he was giving me the price with the frames as well as the lenses? But still that seems a bit much.

You have their contact info? I do need to get an eye exam and new glasses :)

Nick, Dr. Kaspareck the eye doctor is really good. Although he is a little on the weird side, I have been going there ever since I was a kid. I once got a cactus spur stuck in my eye down the shore when I was like 12...my parents raced me up to him and he stayed after hours to get the damn thing out. I can't tell you how painful it was, and how good it felt to get that thing out of my friggin eye!

It's super convenient because Floyd Hover (Seed Optical glasses guy), his office is located inside Dr. Kaspareck's office. It couldn't be any easier. Floyd has some really nice frames.

So after reading this thread, I've decided I am going to get some protective eye glasses. I am looking at that ESS ICE kit, but might spend the extra money for the Randolph Rangers if I can get them at a decent price.

Thanks for bringing this thread up Nascar. I have kind of put getting shooting glasses aside for the past few years but always knowing they were insufficient for any sort of target splatter, debris, gun powder, etc, I am definitely looking into them now. So thank you.

For anyone interested, I just stopped at the Walmart Vision Center to get an idea how much lenses would cost for the ESS ICE Rx insert and they said about $30. I plan to stop by my local optical center where I got my exam and glasses to find out how much they would charge (for a reasonably extra cost I'll go to my local place instead to support them and have somewhere better to cover them in case of anything). For that price though I'm definitely going to get the ESS ICE setup. I found the 3 lens kit on Amazon for about $51, now I just have to find somewhere to get the insert and have the lenses made. Should cost me a little over $100 for the whole thing. Not a bad deal IMO.

Ok...I really need to know......HOW???

Haha it actually isn't too weird.

I went with my parents down the shore to visit family friends for the weekend. My dad and I went outside to go throw a baseball around while everyone was inside. I missed the ball and it rolled into some bushes...I didn't realize some of them were cactus'. So I picked it up and just as I threw it back to him, the wind blew towards me and blew a spur right into my eye. I immediately dropped to my knees and held my eye. At the time we didn't know what was in it, I think my parents just thought I got dust or something in my eye, and kind of said 'ok ok well relax on the couch and we will see if it goes away' type of thing. Well it didn't go away and putting 2 + 2 together, my dad realized it was a cactus spur. The funny thing was we weren't even at the friends house for an hour and here we are packing our stuff up to head to the eye doctors haha.

It was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. You think having an eyelash stuck in your eye is bad...oh man.

Actually, since we are on this topic, my brother had an incident with his eye as well. He was on a scaffolding doing masonry work on a chimney and nailing nails into concrete (or whatever it was) and he hit the nail with the hammer and the nail deflected off and came back at him right into his eye. No, it didn't get stuck in his eye...it just pierced his eye and fell to the ground. As it happened, he lost his balance and thankfully another worker was standing next to him on the scaffolding and caught him...or else he would have fell about 25 feet. He said he remembers it happening, then he fell down feeling the pain and he put his hand up to his eye and all he felt was the eye liquid gushing down his face. Uhhh, I get the jitters ever time I tell this story.

Fast forward presently, about 3-4 years later, and he has been through a cornea transplant and two surgeries, and can only see about 25% out of that eye.

For anyone interested, I just stopped at the Walmart Vision Center to get an idea how much lenses would cost for the ESS ICE Rx insert and they said about $30. I plan to stop by my local optical center where I got my exam and glasses to find out how much they would charge (for a reasonably extra cost I'll go to my local place instead to support them and have somewhere better to cover them in case of anything). For that price though I'm definitely going to get the ESS ICE setup. I found the 3 lens kit on Amazon for about $51, now I just have to find somewhere to get the insert and have the lenses made. Should cost me a little over $100 for the whole thing. Not a bad deal IMO.

I plan on doing the same thing! I just hope the lenses from my eye doctor aren't going to be really expensive.

I plan on doing the same thing! I just hope the lenses from my eye doctor aren't going to be really expensive.

I'll let you know how much my eye doctor wants for them so you can compare. Considering they told me it would be $130 for the lenses for Wiley X Romer II frames, I'm not holding my breath for it to be reasonable for ESS instead. ESS charges $95 for the lenses, so I was kind of shocked that Walmart said $30. I'm thinking it must be a quantity thing since Walmart sends them out where my eye dr makes them on-site, but that's still a huge difference.

So I just got my ESS ICE glasses in the mail and I'm having trouble figuring out how to put the Rx insert into the nosepiece. I think they gave me the wrong nosepiece with the insert. The one on the left came with the Rx insert and the one on the right came with the ICE eyeshields. I've watched the video from SafetyGlassesUSA on how to install it, and it looks like there's supposed to be a second slot, but clearly there isn't one. Am I missing something or do I have the wrong piece?

dsc0883k.jpg

Which insert did you get. Even without getting mine out of my range bag, the one on the left doesn't resemble what I got with the polymer insert. That may be an insert for goggles. I'd e-mail ESS with the photos.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I got the P-2B, the plastic one. The installation video I found, while difficult to see, looks like it has a second slot for the insert, where this obviously doesn't. I e-mailed SafetyGlassesUSA (where I bought them) with the same question and the picture, but figured I'd check here to increase my odds of a quick answer.

i wear my Oakley Flak Jackets, I have the RX in clear lense and also in Black iridium when its sunny outside. They are great...

Where did you get your polarized rx safety sunglasses lenses? I just sent my ESS insert out with Walmart for regular clear safety rx lenses, but for polarized safety rx lenses they want $130 (compared to $30 for clear safety). I was considering using one of my Wiley-X frames and putting polarized lenses to use as regular sunglasses.

Where did you get your polarized rx safety sunglasses lenses? I just sent my ESS insert out with Walmart for regular clear safety rx lenses, but for polarized safety rx lenses they want $130 (compared to $30 for clear safety). I was considering using one of my Wiley-X frames and putting polarized lenses to use as regular sunglasses.

I go to Eye to Eye in garden state plaza mall in paramus. Theyre an oakley authorized dealer. Since ur in cherry hill you can go on oakley.com and check where u can go to get rx sunglasses, they have lenses in all colors and shape. Like i said i have the clear and the iridium black iridium rx lenses. They also have polarized rx lenses, theyre a little more but its all on you.

Below is what i have, but in gray frames

141tj5l.jpg

16ndxx.jpg

mlo5rq.jpg

24ozmg4.jpg