BOOMSTICK

Taking the portal into the world of AR's.

I have had 2 of these and sold one. I love them and have never let me down. I have had my current one for about 8 years.

http://www.bushmaste...WA3X_14M4IZ.asp

bushmaster makes a good gun.. I think he could get there cheaper if he builds.. I also like a fixed front AR sight..

mid length is nice IMO

Thats a tough price range even used. AR's have gone up a little bit. Even buying seperate lowers and uppers you could maybe do at 700ish?

I agree I started low... and ended up with almost a $2,000 gun.. once I figure out what trigger I want.. I will likely break $2k

I am in the process of building one. I say process cause I started by buying my stripped lower. Thats it. That alone with shipping and xfer and NICS cost 120ish.

Not including the stripped upper I want Les Baer, grip, A2 shorty stock, bolt carrier group and havent decided on what length gas system I want, it adds up. But a little at a time and I will get there.

Upper looks good. You would need sights and someone to change out that F/S. The lower is more interesting. Did you see the part

No firearm purchases available for sale in CA, CT, MA, NJ, NY, no exceptions.

That might be a hangup. Looks maybe because of the stock but I didnt read it that good. Figure if you could get it say 500 for the upper and 179 for the lower plus transfer fee of lets say $40 ish and nics of 15 plus sights and work to get NJ legal you may be looking at 800-900 range.

Looks like I might be better off doing walk-ins to some local shops to see what's on the shelves to avoid some of the extra fees invovled in making things NJ legal. It sucks that people showed some interest in the items I have for sale in the NJGF-list section but no takers. Maybe when I get some money up, I can offer one of those things + cash for a used AR on here. :rolleyes:

I live in the Twp also. You can run one of my 2 ars to see how you like em. I am a member at 14 and BA, although no rifle at Brick. What do you have up I am always a sucker for some stuff. Cheyenne Mtn in Yardville is the best around here (close) for selection on hand.

I live in the Twp also. You can run one of my 2 ars to see how you like em. I am a member at 14 and BA, although no rifle at Brick. What do you have up I am always a sucker for some stuff. Cheyenne Mtn in Yardville is the best around here (close) for selection on hand.

Cheyenne on 130 has been good to me. I have only been there for handguns in the past and never even looked at the AR selection they had. As for you being a sucker for some stuff...I will bump the two threads up to the top (yet again).

Also, are there any sites that ship "NJ compliant" AR uppers/lowers/items?

not that everything has to be expensive... it doesn't.. but the more money you have into it the more options you have thus the easier it gets.. keep saving money.. buy a lower.. then buy the parts kit.. then keep an eye out for an upper.. immediate satisfaction is always immediate but not always satisfying in the long run...

if you are looking to spend $700 MAX right now.. you save up another $15 a week... and in 3 short months you have almost another $200 to put into the gun.. buy the gun in pieces.. a lower.. the parts kit you want.. piece it together over time.. you will end up with EXACTLY what you want... instead of just what you have to settle for.. also keep an eye on the marketplace.. buy pieces here and there..

and shop quality over look..

sure you could get a cheap set of flip up sights.. OR you could buy an upper with a standard front sight.. and get a good quick detach rear sight..

my rear back up iron sight was $120... for ONE sight.. you could get a fixed front.. and then a quick detach fixed rear.. for like $40? used.. and have a quality set of SOLID sights for $40 total..

quality > look

function > form

not that everything has to be expensive... it doesn't.. but the more money you have into it the more options you have thus the easier it gets.. keep saving money.. buy a lower.. then buy the parts kit.. then keep an eye out for an upper.. immediate satisfaction is always immediate but not always satisfying in the long run...

if you are looking to spend $700 MAX right now.. you save up another $15 a week... and in 3 short months you have almost another $200 to put into the gun.. buy the gun in pieces.. a lower.. the parts kit you want.. piece it together over time.. you will end up with EXACTLY what you want... instead of just what you have to settle for.. also keep an eye on the marketplace.. buy pieces here and there..

sure you could get a cheap set of flip up sights.. OR you could buy an upper with a standard front sight.. and get a good quick detach rear sight..

my rear back up iron sight was $120... for ONE sight.. you could get a fixed front.. and then a quick detach fixed rear.. for like $40? used.. and have a quality set of SOLID sights for $40 total..

quality > look

function > form

The best thing you can do is ask questions. There are a ton of manucfacturers and parts etc. First find out what you want to do then get the ball rolling...it fun!

quality > look

function > form

Great advice right here. I'll add that cost doesn't always indicate better quality. Shop around, ask questions, and if need be take your time instead of rushing and buying things you'll replace. I went into building wanting to do a $700 gun but spent $840 on parts alone. Don't forget to factor in shipping, ffl fees, and compliancy work (prob an extra $150 or so for me). They can easily make a $700 gun cost a lot more. Good luck and PM me if you need any advice.

DD makes a nice lower and upper with a price that's hard to beat. You can shave off tons of cash with standard butt stocks, gas blocks, LPK and handgaurds. If you shop right u can shave off a lot too. I waited a couple weeks to order a dd lite rail and saved a good 60 bucks or so compared to retail, or what was currently available. Most places also offer free shipping with coupon codes if you spend over $50, I've saved a decent amount at brownell's using discount codes.

The initial investment on building is worth it, because you can do 100% of the work on your AR if you want to upgrade or start to customize it.