RS1200XL

Looking for my first 1911. Kimber, Ruger...or?

I am looking to get my first 1911(.45), second hand gun. My price range is from about $650-$900. I also only plan to get an American made one. I think I have narrowed it down to either the Ruger SR1911 or the Kimber Custom II(maybe TLE/RL because I wouldn't mind the rail).

I have talked with a few dealers, and I know there is a wait on the Kimber and a LONG wait on the Ruger. I am in no rush, I just put in for my permits yesterday, so I have time. What are the pros and the cons to each gun. I know most Kimbers are great, however a bad one tends to be a nightmare. I have noticed the bad stoires I read are generally the carry sized ones.

In that price range is there anything else I should check out?

In my experience, if a factory 1911 breaks during a shooting match, it is a probably a Kimber. This is not to say that all Kimbers are ****, I just wouldn't purchase one.

I would also avoid like the plague anything with a series 80's safety. If I was buying an of the shelf 1911 it would be a Springfield, STI Spartan, S&W, Ruger, in that order.

In my experience, if a factory 1911 breaks during a shooting match, it is a probably a Kimber. This is not to say that all Kimbers are ****, I just wouldn't purchase one.

I would also avoid like the plague anything with a series 80's safety. If I was buying an of the shelf 1911 it would be a Springfield, STI Spartan, S&W, Ruger, in that order.

I would say not from experience but from word of mouth that I would have no problems with an older Kimber, but I do have to say they still do make a great looking gun. Yes I do know people with new ones that don't have problems, but more say they do then don't.

As far as the others you mentioned, STI all the way, I will have one, probably not till later in the year, but I will have 1 or 3. :icon_mrgreen:

STI Spartan is Phillipine made. Trojan is US made.

Springfield is Brazilian.

Kimber's frames (allegedly) are Korean forged and cut here.

Personally I love my Kimber. You will get lots of naysayers on them, however they built 80.000 or so last year and there is a 5-7 month wait so they must be doing something right.

I would look at the Sig's. Really good value for dollar.

Good luck. I drove myself absolutely nuts looking for my first. Now, it's even worse looking for my second. Although I have finally settled and made my decision.

C

And Chevy's are made in Canada. The Spartan is assembled in the US with decent parts. When you think american made you have to think differently if it comes to guns. A lot of the main parts are made by C&C machines, robots, etc, and if they are made to spec, I don't care where they are made The craftmanship and "jobs americans deserve" are in the assembly, fitting, etc and both Springfield and STI do that in the US for most if not all of their guns.

there is a 5-7 month wait so they must be doing something right.

There are 3 in the case at Sayreville Sportsman.

Personally I love my Kimber. You will get lots of naysayers on them, however they built 80.000 or so last year and there is a 5-7 month wait so they must be doing something right.

Good luck. I drove myself absolutely nuts looking for my first. Now, it's even worse looking for my second. Although I have finally settled and made my decision.

C

Kimber is one of the only 100% made in usa guns left.

C

Springfield Armory's higher end stuff is made in US of A.

Come again? Would you like to tell that two the 20 or so other companies making guns here? They would be surprised to find out someone moved their factory over the border when they were out at the pub.

Ruger is also 100% American made.

Kimber Raptor II is awesome. Too bad most of their barrels rust since it's not stainless steel. If that doesn't bother you, then great.

Springfield TRP is really nice for $1400 semi custom. BTW, springfield is Brazil & USA made.

Colt is really nice as well.

The others are too expensive or not too exciting to recommend....wilson, ed brown kobra, ruger, sig, para....

Good Luck!

You know... it sounds to me like we need to have a 1911 only meetup. Everyone brings their 1911s, a tone of .45acp, 9mm, .38super or 10mm and we all shoot each others guns. There might be some swapping going on after... not wives you jackwagons.

You know... it sounds to me like we need to have a 1911 only meetup. Everyone brings their 1911s, a tone of .45acp, 9mm, .38super or 10mm and we all shoot each others guns. There might be some swapping going on after... not wives you jackwagons.

in