blksheep

Steel Cased Ammo or Brass Only? Where?

Hello all,

How many of you will run anything through your guns. I personally run steel and brass. I have a Kimber that loves the stuff. Sure it may be a little dirtier put soo is the Remington UMC from Dicks that I always get.

I usually go to Dicks when they have a sale although I have discovered ammoman down in Berlin and have become a huge fan of him.

Hello all,

How many of you will run anything through your guns. I personally run steel and brass. I have a Kimber that loves the stuff. Sure it may be a little dirtier put soo is the Remington UMC from Dicks that I always get.

I usually go to Dicks when they have a sale although I have discovered ammoman down in Berlin and have become a huge fan of him.

I have used both because of the pricing and dont really have a preference. Only issue I have now is that ShoreShot doesnt allow anything but brass ammo on their range so no more steel for me. I was only using Dicks for a while but keep your eyes open for online sales. a lot of the time I get stuff shipped to me cheaper then in the store and better stuff then just the remington from Dicks.

-Scott

Do you think that the indoor ranges dont want people running steel case due to the fact that they can't recycle them or is it something else. Just curious.

I believe its a recycle/re-sale/reload issue. nothing else. still goes bang when you pull the trigger. SS has a cool magnet on a stick that they have to pick out the steel casings then you are told not to shoot them anymore.

-Scott

Depends what you're shooting it in. The Commie guns are made for steel and who gives a $hit about that Commie crap anyway.

Since the question was asked by a GLOCK guy are you shooting steel cased in your GLOCK?

The main reason I don't shoot steel is abrasion in the chamber. And alot of steel cased ammo has bullets with iron cores and thin jackets.

Depends what you're shooting it in. The Commie guns are made for steel and who gives a $hit about that Commie crap anyway.

Since the question was asked by a GLOCK guy are you shooting steel cased in your GLOCK?

The main reason I don't shoot steel is abrasion in the chamber. And alot of steel cased ammo has bullets with iron cores and thin jackets.

If your pistol ammo has a steel core it is federally illegal! NO import modern pistol ammo has steel cores. And how will a coated mild steel case abrade your barrel steel chamber? Its nearly as soft as brass...your barrel is much harder than that

If your pistol ammo has a steel core it is federally illegal! NO import modern pistol ammo has steel cores. And how will a coated mild steel case abrade your barrel steel chamber? Its nearly as soft as brass...your barrel is much harder than that

Point being Glenn, is the guilding metal has been reported to be so thin that you may actually have the iron core riding on your rifling. Just what I heard.

And if so...That cant be good.

If the steel cases were so benign in you chamber why do they coat them?

Just don't like the stuff!

People who complain that 'this' ammo is dirtier than 'that' ammo need to stop already. You're most likely going to clean your gun at some point, and it's not gonna matter if you have to spend 10 more mins cleaning it. Quite frankly, it's difficult for me to tell if one type of ammo is dirtier than another, but I usually go quite a few hundred rounds or thousand before cleaning anyway.

I find AmmoMan's prices not all that great. The only good thing about buying from him is you can get cases of hard to get stuff and able to pay cash.

I buy all my ammo from the internet or PA, or from a friend who reloads a common caliber for me. A lot of local shops don't carry the ammo I like, or need.

I'll shoot both steel and brass. Usually brass is a couple cents more than steel per box so I'll buy that since I can sell it or reload it.

Point being Glenn, is the guilding metal has been reported to be so thin that you may actually have the iron core riding on your rifling. Just what I heard.

What iron core? There is no iron core because it can't be imported with an iron core, it is lead. If you mean the steel jacket, take a pocket knife to it, you can cut through it. If you can cut through it with pocket knife it shouldn't do much damage to your barrel unless it is made of buttercups. Lots of things have been reported that are hard to check, this is trivial to check.

If the steel cases were so benign in you chamber why do they coat them?

Corrosion resistance.