Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Silver

Can you really be considered a "Lethal Weapon" with training?

Just wondering about that movie Con Air with Nick Cage where he went to jail. Can any hand to hand military or martial arts training be used against you in a court of law in a self defense situation? Not talking about those who compete on a black belt level, but maybe some guy who's taking weekend karate classes to lose weight or something..

It depends on how it is used. In a self defense situation most likely no. BUT if the threat is over and one continues the assault then one can be charged with assault. I have seen that first hand. An individual was defending himself but then he ended the threat. At which point he continued assaulting the individual. Sudject was charged with assault. If a martial arts expert uses his skills to purposely harm somebody thn his hands can be classified as weapons and charges will be higher.

WHATEVER you do DO NOT go to the local PD and try to have your hands registered.....please please please....you would be surprised how many 'mall ninjas' ask this assinine question....

How about these GUNS? *flexes arms*

• Like 1

WHATEVER you do DO NOT go to the local PD and try to have your hands registered.....please please please....you would be surprised how many 'mall ninjas' ask this assinine question....

Oh yeah take ALL the fun out our lives whydontcha....... :angry:

• Like 1

When I lived in the ghetto, I took martial arts, to the point of regional competitions. If you spend any time, you easily know how to break bones, or seriously hurt people with very little effort, and it takes alot not to want to do that to some. =)

My trainer, 7th degree, or possibly 8th by now, black belt, and president of the American Kickboxing Association was arrested and sued for too much violence when he defended himself one night in the Bronx, when he was robbed/jumped after closing the school for the night.

I do recall other incidents where he had to really reserve himself and just almost let it happen in fear of that if he truly defended himself, the perps would be dead.

When I lived in the ghetto, I took martial arts, to the point of regional competitions. If you spend any time, you easily know how to break bones, or seriously hurt people with very little effort, and it takes alot not to want to do that to some. =)

My trainer, 7th degree, or possibly 8th by now, black belt, and president of the American Kickboxing Association was arrested and sued for too much violence when he defended himself one night in the Bronx, when he was robbed/jumped after closing the school for the night.

I do recall other incidents where he had to really reserve himself and just almost let it happen in fear of that if he truly defended himself, the perps would be dead.

:facepalm:

• Like 2

Perhaps keep your training to yourself? I know, when you're describing what happened to the police, they'll probably ask "where'd you learn that move?" So, the "keep it to yourself" advice might not work.

Of the FEW civil (not criminal) cases that I have read, highly trained people have sometimes been held to a higher standard of stopping immediately when the threat is neutralized. Thus, if you are well-trained, you better stop the instant you feel the threat has ceased...you don't get "one last shot for good measure." If you don't stop, you might have to pay (literally) for your battery, because the perp becomes the victim after the tables are completely turned.

Sucks, yes, but if you've taken the time to train yourself physically, you should also take the time to train and prepare yourself mentally (I've had to do it, you'll have to be ready, too). It feels horribly anti-climactic after the confrontation, especially if you know you could have taken the guy. But we both got to go home that night with no scratches or bruises and he got away with pushing me in the back and mouthing off.

On the other hand, I know first hand, of a man in NYC (yes, that NYC) that reloaded TWICE shooting the perp on the ground, and he was found not guilty of depraved heart murder and reckless manslaughter. He walked free, because his lawyer argued that he had repeatedly trained, over and over, to keep shooting until no more ammunition was left. And, that's what he did.

Your results may vary. :D

Perhaps keep your training to yourself? I know, when you're describing what happened to the police, they'll probably ask "where'd you learn that move?" So, the "keep it to yourself" advice might not work.

Of the FEW civil (not criminal) cases that I have read, highly trained people have sometimes been held to a higher standard of stopping immediately when the threat is neutralized. Thus, if you are well-trained, you better stop the instant you feel the threat has ceased...you don't get "one last shot for good measure." If you don't stop, you might have to pay (literally) for your battery, because the perp becomes the victim after the tables are completely turned.

Sucks, yes, but if you've taken the time to train yourself physically, you should also take the time to train and prepare yourself mentally (I've had to do it, you'll have to be ready, too). It feels horribly anti-climactic after the confrontation, especially if you know you could have taken the guy. But we both got to go home that night with no scratches or bruises and he got away with pushing me in the back and mouthing off.

On the other hand, I know first hand, of a man in NYC (yes, that NYC) that reloaded TWICE shooting the perp on the ground, and he was found not guilty of depraved heart murder and reckless manslaughter. He walked free, because his lawyer argued that he had repeatedly trained, over and over, to keep shooting until no more ammunition was left. And, that's what he did.

Your results may vary. :D

I guess the moral of the story is to make sure your lawyer is better than their lawyer.

IMO this talk of stopping as soon as the threat is neutralized is a bit of arm-chair quaterbacking, similar to when people question why cops/etc don't shoot perps in the arm/leg/shoulder etc. Once the adrenaline is flowing and your fight/flight response is in full gear things take on a bit of a different perspective.

How stupid are some people. Hey lets rob the kickboxer guy, he is probably and easy mark....