JerseyMike24

Glock 23 gen 4 Vs. Glock 19 gen 4, first handgun

Okay everyone I am pretty much torn between picking either the Glock 19 or the Glock 23. I would like to have the Glock 19 for the 15 round magazine capacity as well as the cheaper ammo to shoot and train with. I'd love the Glock 23 for the heavier round. As my first handgun and living in this state where it's a pain in the butt to get a handgun, should I get a Glock 23 gen 4 with a 9mm conversion barrel? Or should a 9mm be sufficient as an all around gun? Has anyone from these forums tried the conversion and experience any malfunctions, i.e. failure to feed or to eject? This is my first handgun (just turned 21) but I am not new to firearms. I guess when it comes down to it, this is like a 9mm vs 40 thing for me. Thanks guys

I think the Glock 19 is a great first gun and one that you can keep for a long long time. It's a very proven gun, 15 round mags and if you live NJ you have th option of up to a 33 rounder. Then again, I think every gun owner should have a Glock 19 and a Ruger MK II or III in there collection and buy other guns after these 2.

Hi,

Was in the same dilemma , and then i decided on a G19

My first 2 guns were a Ruger Mk III and a G26.

Since i decided to go to 9mm all around and i have a full size 10mm for a heavyer round and i dont need a 40 anyway i avoided it.

As for the pain to get a pistol permit , apply for more and wait it out while you save up :keeporder:

My first handgun was a Glock 22. Looking back, I should have gotten a Beretta 92FS or a Glock 19. I later ditched the Glock and bought a Beretta.

IMHO, .40 caliber is fantastic if you are a police officer and you get free ammo from the town. Else, you are getting 10% more energy and recoil for 20% more money. For it just doesn't make sense for civilians unless you reload.

I've often said to people that there is a darn good reason why the Glock 19 is the most popular handgun in the US. You can't go wrong with it.

Thanks for the responses guys. So if i plain on shooting competitively, nothing too serious, I guess the glock 19, dedicated 9mm, would be a better option than doing the conversion with the 23?

What sort of competition? If something like IDPA, then yes, Glock 19 is a great platform for that and I think it'd be a better option than the 23. You can always get another handgun down the road...scratch that, you WILL get another handgun down the road and you can always pickup a .40 then.

Another option is what I did. First, get the Glock 23 and then get a conversion barrel and some cheap South Korean maagazines. You have the defensive .40 and the practice 9mm. I have had no problems at all with my GEN 3 G23 and a Lone Wolf conversion barrel. And, if I had it that type of ammo, it would allow me to shoot lead 9mm. And, I have heard I could also get the .357 SIG barrel for it as well if I wanted to for another $100 and that would actually use the .40 magazines. The only thing I have noticed is that if I use the cheap aluminum-cased 9mm it ejects eradically. But, I have not had a problem with the brass and it always goes bang.

Then, you can get your stock G19 at a later point and time, as everyone should probably have one (Tea not koolaid). Additionally, you will have an easier time finding a G23 police trade-in than a used 9mm because people don't give them up. I got my G23 mint for $400 and the barrel from Cheaper Than Dirt for $100 and a few 9mm magazines for about $10 each. I use these for practice and keep the Glock magazines unused. The conversion barrel was out-of-stock when I wanted it, but gave my Email and got an Email that it was in stock about 2 weeks later. And, if you decide you don't want it and you don't pay much over $400, then you will be able to get your money back. In fact, I will buy it. The only thing is that I do not like the emblem on the "stock" Lone Wolf barrel. I got it and I don't mind it that much, but I would rather it not be there. I have heard that for about $20 more you can get one that doesn't have it visible when shooting. I would have paid the difference. And, for about $150 dollars you can get KKM barrel and avoid the ugly emblem that takes away from the beautiful and minimalist Glock, anyway.

This way, you can keep it stock as a .40S&W for defense and make the minute change at the range to 9mm. You can also get an Advantage Arms .22 Conversion kit which would make a pretty versatile gun. Just be careful not to mix the 9 and .40 ammo and barrels.

I have had no problems with mine and have put about 1000 9mm rounds through it. I still think getting a Glock 19 is a good idea, but then you will always have a backup gun with extra versatility in in the .40 S&W as well when you get the G19. I like the G23 and find it so convenient, So much so, that I would have probably gotten the .40 GEN 4 G23 over the GEN 4 9mm if it was available. You can also pickup the 15-round G22 magazines to use in your defensive gun to make it 15 rounds of .40 S&W.

You might even get lucky and get a trade-in already with upgraded metal or night sights for not much more. I really like the TFO (tritium fiber optic) sights on mine. My last piece of advice is to look into the Pearce magazine extensions, as they keep my hand in place when I pick it up.

If you are going to compete, then I would get the G19, first, and the G23 after that if you choose to.

My first handgun was a Glock 22. Looking back, I should have gotten a Beretta 92FS or a Glock 19. I later ditched the Glock and bought a Beretta.

IMHO, .40 caliber is fantastic if you are a police officer and you get free ammo from the town. Else, you are getting 10% more energy and recoil for 20% more money. For it just doesn't make sense for civilians unless you reload.

I've often said to people that there is a darn good reason why the Glock 19 is the most popular handgun in the US. You can't go wrong with it.

Good point!

What sort of competition? If something like IDPA, then yes, Glock 19 is a great platform for that and I think it'd be a better option than the 23. You can always get another handgun down the road...scratch that, you WILL get another handgun down the road and you can always pickup a .40 then.

Yes IDPA and lol your right I most definitely will.

You might even get lucky and get a trade-in already with upgraded metal or night sights for not much more. I really like the TFO (tritium fiber optic) sights on mine. My last piece of advice is to look into the Pearce magazine extensions, as they keep my hand in place when I pick it up.

IF you are going to compete, then I would get the G19 first and keep it stock.

I was looking at used ones but I think I qualify for the LEO discount because I'm a NJ state certified EMT. I think the new ones go for around $400 bucks?

If you can find a G19 for about $400 dollars, then by all means, get it. I couldn't find one, used, and I wanted the money to get something else, as well. So, when I found the G23 for $400, I got it.

For me, part of the answer to your question would be to get what is available in mint condition if you don't mind getting a used one. But, if you can get it for $400, order two and I will give you $450 for the Glock 19 and you would get for $350. :onthequiet:

I wouldn't mind getting another G23 and another conversion barrel, but I would also be just as happy getting another 19 and selling the G23 (as I really do only use the 9mm). And then I would not have to stock both rounds. Though, in a survival SHTF situation, it would give me a gun that could use both calibers, the 9mm (which is everywhere) and the police round (.40S&W) which is everywhere.

Okay everyone I am pretty much torn between picking either the Glock 19 or the Glock 23. I would like to have the Glock 19 for the 15 round magazine capacity as well as the cheaper ammo to shoot and train with. I'd love the Glock 23 for the heavier round. As my first handgun and living in this state where it's a pain in the butt to get a handgun, should I get a Glock 23 gen 4 with a 9mm conversion barrel? Or should a 9mm be sufficient as an all around gun? Has anyone from these forums tried the conversion and experience any malfunctions, i.e. failure to feed or to eject? This is my first handgun (just turned 21) but I am not new to firearms. I guess when it comes down to it, this is like a 9mm vs 40 thing for me. Thanks guys

I went with the G19 first for practice and getting familiar with shooting. I wasn't going to .40 since I wanted either a G21SF or 1911 in .45ACP. I went with the G21SF as the second pistol. I was going to try a 10mm conversion for my G21SF but decided to buy a G20SF 10mm for liability and risk issues.

I went with the G19 first for practice and getting familiar with shooting. I wasn't going to .40 since I wanted either a G21SF or 1911 in .45ACP. I went with the G21SF as the second pistol. I was going to try a 10mm conversion for my G21SF but decided to buy a G20SF 10mm for liability and risk issues.

What is the liability factor? Making a .45 ACP more potent?

What is the liability factor? Making a .45 ACP more potent?

I felt I'd rather have a complete pistol designed or engineered by one company with a warranty than parts made by different manufacturers. Should anything happen I'm sure they'd be pointing fingers at each other. Plus, I don't really have the time to be testing out parts/springs etc. and thought in the long run it would be easier (time & money) to buy a complete gun. I can use them both and won't have to switch parts back and forth when I want to shoot the other caliber.

First handgun means you need lots of practice. Lots of practice means lots of ammo. Lots of ammo means lots of money. Cheaper cost per round of a 9mm means you get to practice a lot more. Ergo go for the G19

:)

Also get a 22LR handgun next. Then move up to larger caliber. IMO anyway.

First handgun means you need lots of practice. Lots of practice means lots of ammo. Lots of ammo means lots of money. Cheaper cost per round of a 9mm means you get to practice a lot more. Ergo go for the G19

:)

Also get a 22LR handgun next. Then move up to larger caliber. IMO anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Your right this is my first handgun so 9mm would be economically the best. I was thinking i could get the aa .22 conversion kit.

Thanks for the reply. Your right this is my first handgun so 9mm would be economically the best. I was thinking i could get the aa .22 conversion kit.

You would be better off getting a separate 22 pistol, especially if you get into gun games. You can shoot static steel with 22LR and OBRAMS is USPSA style matches that is 22LR only. Trust me, you will be much happier in the long run is you get a separate 22 gun, save the AA kit for sometime down the line when you have a bunch of handgun.

Don't say you only want 1 or 2, they are like potato chips, you can't stop at 1 or 2, not even close.

I own a 23 gen 4, don't buy it, the 40 round is very snappy and not new shooter friendly, that being said if you decide to reload, making some lighter loads in 40 will make it shoot like a 9mm

If u ever wanna try it pm me, I shoot at brick armory

You would be better off getting a separate 22 pistol, especially if you get into gun games. You can shoot static steel with 22LR and OBRAMS is USPSA style matches that is 22LR only. Trust me, you will be much happier in the long run is you get a separate 22 gun, save the AA kit for sometime down the line when you have a bunch of handgun.

Don't say you only want 1 or 2, they are like potato chips, you can't stop at 1 or 2, not even close.

Your probably right. I did a similar thing with my AR. I have a M&P 15-22 as well as a stag arms/ spikes AR build. I definitely don't plan on stopping at two your right lol.

I own a 23 gen 4, don't buy it, the 40 round is very snappy and not new shooter friendly, that being said if you decide to reload, making some lighter loads in 40 will make it shoot like a 9mm

I appreciate the offer sir. I should have mentioned i shot the g23 and remember it was snappy. It was a gen 3 though. Is there much difference between the two recoil wise?

both are great guns, you really can't lose either way.

Your right I'm sure, I'm just thinking too hard lol

Hard or impossible to find for the GEN 4.

I don't really mind the .40. I notice the difference, but it isn't that bad. It might be because I learned with that one first. The 9mm is just more comfortable.

Im not too worried about the recoil. I just feel as if i got the 23 i would end up using the 9mm barrel more often. I really would only want the .40 for defensive purposes, which in NJ seems to be useless for the most part unfortunately. I would get the 23 but not sure if the conversion is reliable enough to possiblly shoot competitively.

Im not too worried about the recoil. I just feel as if i got the 23 i would end up using the 9mm barrel more often. I really would only want the .40 for defensive purposes, which in NJ seems to be useless for the most part unfortunately. I would get the 23 but not sure if the conversion is reliable enough to possiblly shoot competitively.

No reason and no facts to back it up but I wouldn't use a conversion kit for comp or HD/SD gun.