RIMD

Moving (BACK) to NJ from RI

Hello all...

I know there have been several similar posts in the past and I have reviewed them but was hoping to gain some further information, thanks for the help in advance!

I am new to the forum and just signed up today.

I moved from NJ to RI for a job 6 years ago and promptly obtained a permit to carry. I enjoyed this liberty immensely throughout my time in the Ocean state. I am, however, very happy to be moving back to my true home... NJ.

I will be moving to Monmouth county and had some questions. I currently own my carry piston (Walther PPS .40) and a Mossberg 12-gauge (with expandable butt and pistol grip) [sold my others prior to the move]. I am planning to make the move and from what I have read will have no problem with the pistol if I just bring it with me to my new home. The shotgun sounds as though it fits the description of requiring some changes prior to being legal (will likely remove the expandable butt). If I do that would I be able to bring the shotgun with me? Will I need to register with the local police or get a permit to own??

Also, I own quite a bit of hollow-point rounds as I used this for carry purposes. I would like to bring these rounds with me as they were expensive. Is this a problem? And also, is it legal to purchase in RI (still have a residence there) and transport to NJ in the future??)

Thanks in advance! I appreciate the help and am happy to find a firearms forum in NJ. I was a member of www.cralri.com while in RI...

You don't say which Mossberg. If it is a pump-action you are good to go as it stands. If it is semi-auto, then yes it needs to be modified before you can bring it.

As for the hollowpoints - no worry. Perfectly legal to buy, possess and use in NJ within the exemptions granted in the law. I assume you are talking about purchasing ammo and bringing it with you? That's fine. For that matter, you may want to purchase any firearms that are on your "want list" before moving. Again legal to bring firearms legally purchased outside NJ into the state (as long as they are NJ legal). Registration is voluntary and I'd advise against it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

you are good to go. your shotgun is a pump so a collapsible stock is fine since it is not semi-auto. hollow points are legal but for range purposes or defense while in home only. so those are fine as well. overall with what you ahve writeen you are legal. you do not need to register your firearms with the PD.

Welcome!

Your PPS will be fine as I believe it has less than a 15 round magazine. Is your mossberg a pump action or semi-auto?

Neither need to be registered with NJ. As for transporting, be sure to place both unloaded guns in your trunk, or a securely fastened case if you do not have a trunk. Also, make sure you drive directly to your new residence. You may only drive to and from a shooting range with your weapons, or directly to a new residence while moving. You may leave the shotgun in the trunk after receiving your firearm purchaser id card, should you elect to apply for it. The hollow points have the same travel restrictions as handguns, in that you may only posess them when driving to and from the range, to and from a hunting trip, from an old residence to a new one, or home after purchasing them in a store. You may shoot them at the range, or leave them loaded in your PPS while at home.

Federal law states that you may only purchase a handgun in your state of residence.

Regarding the shotgun, if it is a pump action, you only need to comply with minimum barrel length(18") and minimum over-all length(26"). Every other modification is good to go. If your shotgun is a semi-auto, it may not have a pistol grip, or be capable of holding more than 6 rounds in the tube.

Thanks for all the great responses!

The mossberg is a pump-action shotgun and the PPS has 2 clips (5 and 6 rounds) so no problem there.

This is all good news!

When I move to NJ I will still own a rental property in RI. If I change my license to NJ then I would not be able to purchase in RI any longer??? I have a license to carry in PA but have let my RI license expire as I am moving... I would LOVE to get a carry permit in NJ but the chances of success = 0.000001% unless anyone has some advice that would help.

Thanks again!

Your assessment on a NJ CCW is correct. I don't think owning rental property qualifies you as having "dual-residency". I believe you must actually reside there for part of the year.

Get your NJ DL and then a NJ FPID card. This exempts you from the travel restrictions for long guns, as well as making it possible for you to buy handgun ammo in NJ, should you choose to.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for all the great responses!

The mossberg is a pump-action shotgun and the PPS has 2 clips (5 and 6 rounds) so no problem there.

This is all good news!

When I move to NJ I will still own a rental property in RI. If I change my license to NJ then I would not be able to purchase in RI any longer??? I have a license to carry in PA but have let my RI license expire as I am moving... I would LOVE to get a carry permit in NJ but the chances of success = 0.000001% unless anyone has some advice that would help.

Thanks again!

Just some friendly advice... Your PPS has 2 magazines. Calling them clips will get you attacked quickly, and I am usually one of the first to do so :p

If you own a rental property, it is not your residence, therefore you may not purchase handguns in RI. You will not be able to obtain a NJ CCW permit.

Just some friendly advice... Your PPS has 2 magazines. Calling them clips will get you attacked quickly, and I am usually one of the first to do so :p

You are correct, magazines would definitely be correct and "clip" was an error on my part.

It was just a naive desire to purchase in RI while in NJ.. would have been easier but not a possibility.

After 6 years of carrying in RI.

Always remember that YOU ARE NOT THERE ANYMORE.

A little memory lapse when getting dressed could land you in the slammer for many years.

There are many threads on hollow points here. Read up on them. HPs are generally illegal in NJ. They are legal only within a few exemptions. Such as at home, transport from store to home, going to a range for practice.

Alrighty. Thank you to everyone for their excellent information. The time for my move is finally here and I have, therefore, contacted the Tinton Falls, NJ police department to confirm everything stated here. The detective I spoke with informed me that I was required to register my firearms. He then, after further questioning, told me it was very much recommended and not mandatory if "you are never going to leave your home with them."

Does anyone know where I can find paperwork or legal code demonstrating that there is indeed no necessity to register the firearms? I would like to comply with the law as I transition back to NJ... Also, what are the reasons not to register in NJ??

Thanks again,

Mike

Alrighty. Thank you to everyone for their excellent information. The time for my move is finally here and I have, therefore, contacted the Tinton Falls, NJ police department to confirm everything stated here. The detective I spoke with informed me that I was required to register my firearms. He then, after further questioning, told me it was very much recommended and not mandatory if "you are never going to leave your home with them."

Does anyone know where I can find paperwork or legal code demonstrating that there is indeed no necessity to register the firearms? I would like to comply with the law as I transition back to NJ... Also, what are the reasons not to register in NJ??

Thanks again,

Mike

There is NO mandatory registration of firearms in NJ and I would advise against doing it.

As far as why not, I would just say, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO??

Asking the police for firearm law info is one of the worst things you can do. Go on the NJSP website and follow the links to the NJ Statutes and Administrative Code that deal with firearms. Do NOT rely on the police for accurate info - as you have already seen.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm with Harry and Bob. Calling the police for firearms advice will not be helpful and can be harmful. They are not there for free legal advice, they are there to try to lock up as many law breakers as they can. And when it comes to NJ's confusing and ambiguous firearms laws, it makes their job easy to find folks who broke one gun law or another. Sure there are helpful and knowledgeable LE folks out there that will give you good advice (many are on these forums), but you are taking a chance randomly calling your local PD.

Some people don't care for Evan Nappen that much, but IMO he does have a decent easy to follow book focused on NJ gun laws. It has most of the answers to common questions, and for those that you are foggy on, you found the forum that has the best chance of arming you with the best info to make decisions for yourself. Book link here

Welcome back to the PRNJ, your overlords await you!

Thanks again,

Mike

The form to register handguns is called "Voluntary Form of Register" - the name alone lets you know it is not required. There is no way that I'm aware of to register long guns in NJ. Your not going to find a statute in the NJ criminal code that says HG registration is voluntary, registration is not mandatory because no where in the criminal code does it say it's mandatory, so you would need to read the entire criminal code to determine it for yourself.

I would not recommend registering your HGs, there's no real benefit to it.

... The hollow points have the same travel restrictions as handguns, in that you may only posess them when driving to and from the range, to and from a hunting trip, from an old residence to a new one, or home after purchasing them in a store. You may shoot them at the range, or leave them loaded in your PPS while at home...

NOT according to the appeals judge in the Brian Aitken case.

The hollow point conviction was the only one allowed to stand on appeal because THERE IS NO EXEMPTION IN STATUTE for transporting from one residence to another.

Welcome back to the gulag, comrade. :vava:

The form to register handguns is called "Voluntary Form of Register" - the name alone lets you know it is not required. There is no way that I'm aware of to register long guns in NJ. Your not going to find a statute in the NJ criminal code that says HG registration is voluntary, registration is not mandatory because no where in the criminal code does it say it's mandatory, so you would need to read the entire criminal code to determine it for yourself.

I would not recommend registering your HGs, there's no real benefit to it.

Just to nitpick, the Voluntary Form of Firearms Registration is for all firearms, not just handguns. As arleady stated though, if it's voluntary, why let anyone know what you have?

NOT according to the appeals judge in the Brian Aitken case.

The hollow point conviction was the only one allowed to stand on appeal because THERE IS NO EXEMPTION IN STATUTE for transporting from one residence to another.

Welcome back to the gulag, comrade. :vava:

I'm going from memory here, so please feel free to correct me if I get it wrong. Brian was going from one residence in NJ (his mothers) to another (his apartment). He was not moving, per se, he had already made the move to NJ from CO. I believe there is an exemption for moving - but I may be incorrect. The judge in that case was an idiot.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The hollow point EXEMPTION statute 2C:39-3g(2)a reads as follows:

Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, nor shall subsection f. (1) be construed to prevent any licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer from possessing such ammunition at its licensed premises, provided that the seller of any such ammunition shall maintain a record of the name, age and place of residence of any purchaser who is not a licensed dealer, together with the date of sale and quantity of ammunition sold.

Because there is no exemption for transporting from one residence to another, the appeals judge felt compelled to let Brian's hollow point conviction stand.

New Jersey and really crappy gun laws ... PERFECT TOGETHER