sledgehamer73

.22 bolt action rifle

In a recent introductoin post by me, I was very set on getting a Remington 597 .22. I have now started to lean in the other direction as far as action goes anyway.

Can anyone recommend a gun shop in NJ that carries .22 bolt action rifles? I have called several shops in my area and .22 bolt action doesn't seem like a regularly stocked item. Maybe they were all sold for Christmas!

The models I am interested in seeing are:

Savage MKIIG (walnut stock)

Marlin XT-22

CZ 455 American

A used .22 in very good condition would also be an option. Thanks.

I didn't even know about the price request option on this site. Thanks j0n, I'll try that out.

Yes, I need to stop by Dick's again. I don't remeber them having any .22 bolt actions last time I was there, but I really wasn't looking at the time either. I'm liking the CZ's more and more though as I read about them.

I have the MKII. I like it a lot. Honestly, I'm regretting not getting a lever-gun over bolt, but it's got a fantastic build to it. It's light, looks nice, clean trigger pull, and magazines are fairly cheap for it. I like it a lot.

Oh, as for Bob's little sport shop in glassboro, that's actually where I bougth my MKII. They're a great place to shop at.

I have to admit that my 8 year old's .22 Cricket is probably the best gun I own. Only $109 and made in America.

The prices have probably increased and I think Dicks stopped selling them, but the website shows adult models that you can order.

I love my marlin xt22. It is decently accurate and doesnt feel like a cheap toy like some .22s ive held. I have a 3-9x32 scope and bipod on mine, and it hits where i place the crosshairs as long as my end is up to snuff. I picked mine up at ramsey outdoors, and i paid about 220 for mine with nics and tax. Not including the scope or bipod of course. I like that mags are available and cheap for the marlin, as i picked up a 25n a few weeks after getting the xt22, and they share mags. Allows me to bring more non gun owners out on shoot days without having to worry bout costs, and they have just as much fun with the .22s.

Sorry for typos or punctuation, again using a phone to post...

You're welcome to try out my xt-22 if marlin ever gets on the ball and sends me the new extractor they promised.

Its a great gun when it works, and from what i've seen online they almost always work. I just happened to be the unlucky 1 in the bunch.

got it from cabelas for <$200.

Also, dicks at least by me has the mossberg 802. Might want to check it out they're very rerasonably priced.

The tubular mag on my XT is pure awesomeness. With 17-26 rounds in a bolt gun you literally feel like you can keep shooting forever. and its soooooo easy to load. Thats what made the choice on the XT-22tr for me.

Be sure to try the Varmint. I have a Varmint 452 and I was thinking I should have bought the American but after I held one at the Bullet Hole, I like the Varmint better. The Varmint is heavier and balances better. It just feels solid when you put it to your shoulder.