Sandy

Tried my new Colt , loved it - pictures as promised

It handled beautifully , very happy with it. It was the 1st husband wife trip to the range too , all in all a good day :)

Here are some pictures :

_DSC2598-copy.jpg

_DSC2600-copy.jpg

_DSC2596-copy.jpg

_DSC2591-copy.jpg

Only nit would be the beaver tail was hard on my thumb. I was told I could outfit it with a larger more comfortable version. Has anyone done that mod?

• Like 1

Only nit would be the beaver tail was hard on my thumb. I was told I could outfit it with a larger more comfortable version. Has anyone done that mod?

Nice gun. I'm curious as to how the beaver tail hurts your thumb?

Nice gun. I'm curious as to how the beaver tail hurts your thumb?

It is kind of narrow , with no bevel at all on the sides ..see 2nd from last picture. I have very small hands ( I'm 4'11, and my hands are even small for my size , to give you an idea most 9 or 10 year old boys have the same size hand as I do ) and from all of the guns I've tried , it proves to be an issue with some set ups.It is hard for me to even reach the trigger on some models , I have to rotate my right hand slightly counter clockwise to get to the trigger properly. This is one of the reasons I am keen to try a CX4 Storm .40 . I tried Glock's version of it , and I loved the feel of a carbine that size :)

I'm sure I'm making some handling errors that contribute to it. I'm taking another private lesson since I now have my own gun , and I'll go over it with the instructor for sure and then get his recommendation on any mods that may help :) And , I am always open to advice from the experienced members here .

Thanks everyone!

It is kind of narrow , with no bevel at all on the sides ..see 2nd from last picture. I have very small hands ( I'm 4'11, and my hands are even small for my size , to give you an idea most 9 or 10 year old boys have the same size hand as I do ) and from all of the guns I've tried , it proves to be an issue with some set ups.It is hard for me to even reach the trigger on some models , I have to rotate my right hand slightly counter clockwise to get to the trigger properly. This is one of the reasons I am keen to try a CX4 Storm .40 . I tried Glock's version of it , and I loved the feel of a carbine that size :)

I'm sure I'm making some handling errors that contribute to it. I'm taking another private lesson since I now have my own gun , and I'll go over it with the instructor for sure and then get his recommendation on any mods that may help :) And , I am always open to advice from the experienced members here .

Thanks everyone!

I think I understand. So instead of the beavertail sitting in the web between your thumb and forefinger, it's resting on the big knuckle joint or between the first and the second?

Take a look around for slim grips. Alumagrips (I think that's them) sells them. Then there are several others that make them as well. I believe VZ makes some. You will need to change out the grip screw bushings if you go with a slim set. I believe the grip makers sell those as well. You will also want to invest in a grip screw bushing driver to remove the bushings as a regular screwdriver has a tendenct to mess them up a bit. I am looking to pick up a driver and I believe I live kinda close to you. You or your husband are welcome to borrow.

As for the grip safety... Well, there are a ton of mods that can be done to any 1911. PM me if you like and I will do what I can to help out.

C

Nice Colt! The Milspec beavertail will always dig into the web of your hands even for people with larger hands.

slimmer grips won't help much if you have small hands on a 1911. The critical thing here is the distance between the trigger and the back strap. On a 1911 it's not that short so you'll always have rotate your grip a bit. The good thing about the 1911 is that it's a SAO gun and the trigger always rests close to the grip unlike a DA/SA or DAO gun.

You might want to try out a Springfield EMP or a Colt Mustang/Sig 238. They all have shorter trigger to back strap distance compared to a regular 1911. CZ or BHP are also friendly for people with smaller hands. CZ can be configured as SA with safety so you dont' ahve to worry about reaching the trigger in DA mode.

A lot of modern polymer guns have configurable grip that can really reduce the distance between trigger and back strap but I don't think there are many that are SAO so you'll still have issues reaching the trigger. rotating your grip will most likely mess with practical accuracy and consistency.

btw. It looks like this Colt has front strap checkering? The grip on this gun wraps around the front strap and is making it worse for you if you have smaller hands. It makes the circumference bigger and if it already have front strap checkering you might want to consider replacing it with side panel grips.

I think I understand. So instead of the beavertail sitting in the web between your thumb and forefinger, it's resting on the big knuckle joint or between the first and the second?

yes , exactly :)

Take a look around for slim grips. Alumagrips (I think that's them) sells them. Then there are several others that make them as well. I believe VZ makes some. You will need to change out the grip screw bushings if you go with a slim set. I believe the grip makers sell those as well. You will also want to invest in a grip screw bushing driver to remove the bushings as a regular screwdriver has a tendenct to mess them up a bit. I am looking to pick up a driver and I believe I live kinda close to you. You or your husband are welcome to borrow.

As for the grip safety... Well, there are a ton of mods that can be done to any 1911. PM me if you like and I will do what I can to help out.

C

Thanks ! We may take you up on that !

Nice Colt! The Milspec beavertail will always dig into the web of your hands even for people with larger hands.

slimmer grips won't help much if you have small hands on a 1911. The critical thing here is the distance between the trigger and the back strap. On a 1911 it's not that short so you'll always have rotate your grip a bit. The good thing about the 1911 is that it's a SAO gun and the trigger always rests close to the grip unlike a DA/SA or DAO gun.

You might want to try out a Springfield EMP or a Colt Mustang/Sig 238. They all have shorter trigger to back strap distance compared to a regular 1911. CZ or BHP are also friendly for people with smaller hands. CZ can be configured as SA with safety so you dont' ahve to worry about reaching the trigger in DA mode.

A lot of modern polymer guns have configurable grip that can really reduce the distance between trigger and back strap but I don't think there are many that are SAO so you'll still have issues reaching the trigger. rotating your grip will most likely mess with practical accuracy and consistency.

agreed , need to fix the situation. I'm sure my rotated grip is not a good thing , and I want to fix it before a bad habit really sets in. As you said ..CZ..shot my husband's .40 cal CZ and it fit my hand better , and shot like a dream :)

btw. It looks like this Colt has front strap checkering? The grip on this gun wraps around the front strap and is making it worse for you if you have smaller hands. It makes the circumference bigger and if it already have front strap checkering you might want to consider replacing it with side panel grips.

It does have front strap checkering. Will definietly be doing a few mods on this gun. Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone !

If anyone has a minute to shoot a link here with a recommended grip mod for kid hands , I would appreciate it ;)

Send me your e-mail via PM and I'll send you a brief tutorial I made up about grips for the 1911.