Sign in to follow this  
jptsr1

Registering Handguns

When I lived in NJ 5 years ago this was not a requirement. Now in the process of doing my due diligence on shipping ammo to my new address for my move back I see this on my new towns website:

http://www.florhamparkboro.net/things_you_should_know.html

FIREARMS

The hunting of game and the discharging of firearms within the Borough limits are prohibited. State Law requires the registration of firearms of any type. Applications are handled by the Police Department.

This is incorrect right?

Doesn't the state police have a copy of every used P2P on file?

If so, any handgun bought in NJ is effectively registered.

"any handgun bought in NJ" is not what I had issue with. The website says "State Law requires the registration of firearms of any type."

There is voluntary registration, and some wacky areas, such as BB guns which are considered "firearms" in NJ. All rules apply as such.

the point Qel was trying to make is the "effective" registration of firearms merely by the aspect that I know for a fact that my local PD does not destroy pistol permits as they are supposed to.

If you purchased your firearms legally out of state, while being a resident there, as long as the guns are nj legal, there are no issues, and nothing requiring you to register them. This is not NYC. I would send that link to NJ2As so they can contact the town to get that corrected.

NJ Second Amendment Society.

NJ group that fights to get back our 2A rights. They currently have a lawsuit or two in progress trying to get the state guide to PDs about firearms applications, as well as being involved in NJ CCW. Also they make calls to local PDs that are not in compliance with 2C:58-3 regarding FID and P2P paperwork.

the point Qel was trying to make is the "effective" registration of firearms merely by the aspect that I know for a fact that my local PD does not destroy pistol permits as they are supposed to.

Can you provide a statute or directive that says this? I do not recall ever seeing it.

Doesn't the state police have a copy of every used P2P on file? If so, any handgun bought in NJ is effectively registered.
All of the pistol permits are supposed to be reviewed, then destroyed. they don't get destroyed. Hence quasi registration.
There is no registration of any firearms legally acquired elsewhere and brought into the state. NJSP used to file P2P when they came in. At some point they started computerizing it. these records go back to the 1970s. If GRIZ buys a gun from Maks it is taken off Maks' record noting t was transferred to GRIZ and entered on GRIZ's record. They may destroy the P2P after that but there is a registration. There is registration of every handgun transferred on a P2P.

Maks, I think that you are getting the destruction requirement confused. This applies to the NICS records (and I believe is a Federal requirement), not the P2P's

Correct. Somewhere in one of those two links I posted it states such. Although I am still skeptical.

This is a good site to peruse for info -

http://www.lcav.org/...tionsPermitting

http://www.lcav.org/...ary.pdf#page=22

(Handgun registration in N.J. is more insidious than most people realize.)

Off topic, but now I know why most new handguns have magazine safeties... Oh how I hate you California.

Off topic, but now I know why most new handguns have magazine safeties... Oh how I hate you California.

Go the Cali website, they have to approve the guns. The manufacturers also have to resubmit the same handguns year after year for approval or they get dropped from the list. Such BS