Sign in to follow this  
deadeye74

Climate Control and Reloading..

I have been entertaining the idea about starting to reload (and saving my brass in anticipation!). My issue is that I don't have a space in my house to reload, which means I would have to use my shed, which has no heat or AC. Not really concerned with spring and fall when it's mild out, but was wondering what effects (if any) the weather would have on the ammo components when your loading in the summer/winter when the temps can get to extremes. Are there any precautions I would need to take? I am not content with the idea of having a space heater around powder/primers, so winter time loading would be limited to days in the 40's or higher. I love the heat, so summer time not having AC is not an issue. Do I have to worry about humidity or condensation?

You very much have to worry about humidity and condensation, as it will ruin your powder. If you can keep your powder, primers, and sensitive components inside you will be in much better shape. Then all you will have to worry about is the climatic effects on the press itself.

Your equipment will take a massive beating if you have uncontrolled humidity.

All steel and iron parts WILL rust in an unconditioned shed.

You really don't need a lot of room to reload. I've seen people store stuff in a filing cabinet and use a workmate as a bench for the press.

I reload in my non climate controlled garage. Been doing it for a year with my Forster single stage, and I just installed a LnL progressive. I use an overhead electric quartz radiant heater, and a propane fueled forced air heater about 20ft behind where I work.

I keep all powder and primers in my home, and only bring out what I need. I then take all the powder, primers, and finished ammo back into my house when I'm finished. I also keep my equipment well lubricated, using a dry lube on parts that powder will contact, like Hornaday Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube or Eezox. All other metal I keep protected with a film protectant/lubricant like Amsoil Metal Protector. When I'm finished I throw a painters canvas tarp over the work area. No issues with rust or corrosion.

I really wish I had a basement or spare room that I could work in the house, but I don't have have to make due with what I have.

the shed will be detrimental with humidity, the boys just took a remote control car out of the shed been in their 8 years in a box..

It looked like it went through world war 3... every aluminum part was white corroded.. the engine was siezed which was oiled before being put away with after run oil..

i did get it free but worked on it for 1 hour...

if you can insulate the shed close off the cieling like a house you will be ok my work shed is like that and i have no problem. all my walls are finished with lauan. The floor is also insulated..

Well when I go and buy powder and primer from Gene Soloman he goes out to his outside storage unit, no heat or A/C and brings it into his dusty shop. I don't worry so much about reloading it after that. It should be pretty temperature and humidity insensitive as ammo is stored all around the world in varying environments.

Thanks for the replies. Would something like an old wood desk (not one of the particle board laminated junkers) work as a reloading bench? I do have a room that is sort of a catch all in the house, I just don't have the space to set up a whole work station which is why I was thinking of locating out to the shed.

condensation is your only worry.. if it is in a well insulated environment so it does not go through quick temp changes it will not condensate ok to get hot -cold over long period of time if it is too quick it will condensate and get ruined.

Good example, fuel tanks on boats are subject to quick temp changes, end result is water in fuel in the spring..

main reason tanks are toped off in fall for winter storage. with todays fuel alot of manufactures are recomending the tanks be left empty for the winter and deal with any condensation from winter storage..

The new catch 22...

Well when I go and buy powder and primer from Gene Soloman he goes out to his outside storage unit, no heat or A/C and brings it into his dusty shop. I don't worry so much about reloading it after that. It should be pretty temperature and humidity insensitive as ammo is stored all around the world in varying environments.

Powder is pretty tolerant of temps, but really high temps can alter burn rates. Interior of the car in summer is hot enough. That's way hotter than a vented shipping container gets.

Humidity though REALLY matters. It wont affect burn, but you really want to get your volumetric measure before it starts picking up moisture. Most powder is hydrophilic, some very much so. Upside is you'll be throwing underpowered loads by weight, so it won't hurt you. Humidity doesn't matter much until you break the seal on a container of powder.

Thanks for the replies. Would something like an old wood desk (not one of the particle board laminated junkers) work as a reloading bench? I do have a room that is sort of a catch all in the house, I just don't have the space to set up a whole work station which is why I was thinking of locating out to the shed.

What kind of setup do you want? With a singles stage, you can mount it to a board and clamp it to the table. You don't need a lot of space. I reloaded for years in a closet under the stairs.

Also be mindful of other stuff stored in the area. If you are storing pool chemicals and stuff, vapors from that will start attacking metal pretty harshly. Keep stuff well lubed, you will be fine.

As for powder, sealed in the jar , condensation shouldnt be an issue, nor cold, but high heat will degrade the powder over time.

What kind of setup do you want? With a singles stage, you can mount it to a board and clamp it to the table. You don't need a lot of space. I reloaded for years in a closet under the stairs.

I have been eyeing the Lee kit with a single stage press. Going to start with .45ACP then possibly move onto 9MM luger. I shoot 100- 200 rounds per range session depending on if I take one or two pistols with me, and get out to the range about once a week. My theory for now has been to keep saving the brass from the ammo I have been buying. I already purchased a small tumbler from Harbor Freight, I'm looking for stainless media now.

My thinking is to start this with minimal investment and see how I like it before I invest in something like a Dillon press.

I have been eyeing the Lee kit with a single stage press. Going to start with .45ACP then possibly move onto 9MM luger. I shoot 100- 200 rounds per range session depending on if I take one or two pistols with me, and get out to the range about once a week. My theory for now has been to keep saving the brass from the ammo I have been buying. I already purchased a small tumbler from Harbor Freight, I'm looking for stainless media now.

My thinking is to start this with minimal investment and see how I like it before I invest in something like a Dillon press.

Good plan. I can spit out 200 rounds/hour without much difficulty with my Lee classic turret. This involves looking inside every case before i put it in the press, looking in ever case after dropping powder, checking every headstamp, etc.

Powder is pretty tolerant of temps, but really high temps can alter burn rates. Interior of the car in summer is hot enough. That's way hotter than a vented shipping container gets.

Humidity though REALLY matters. It wont affect burn, but you really want to get your volumetric measure before it starts picking up moisture. Most powder is hydrophilic, some very much so. Upside is you'll be throwing underpowered loads by weight, so it won't hurt you. Humidity doesn't matter much until you break the seal on a container of powder.

Raz I understand that temps can alter burn rate / muzzle velocity, but most of today's powders aren't as sensitive as they used to be so I guess it depends on what powder you use. Now volumetric measure due to added weight of humidity I never considered, so I guess I need to be more careful of the powder in the hopper just never really gave it much thought.