Qel Hoth

First gun 9mm/22

I finally got approval of the other members of my house to keep a gun in the house, and since all the forms are in I should have my FID/P2P in about a month.

I am looking primarily at the Beretta 92, the Sig P226, and the CZ 75. Though if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Requirements -

.22lr conversion for plinking

9mm+ for HD and possible competition (USPSA, Steel)

DA/SA or striker

Conversion must lock slide on empty mag

Budget

$1000 for the gun and conversion, though less is preferable.

Desired

Not Fugly (Hi-Point..., mall ninja...)

US made

Significance of the weapon.

Blued/Black, stainless if tasteful (No desert tan, FDE, or other colored guns)

Aesthetic damage on a used gun is fine, so long as it still works well. I have no problems taking a police trade-in or other used gun.

I was dumb and only applied for one P2P, so it has to be a full caliber and a conversion. .22 is required since that's what I can afford to go to the range once a week and shoot. I am interested in USPSA and/or Steel matches, so I would like a 9mm for that purpose as well as for home defense.

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on anything except the Beretta yet, but hopefully that will change soon.

I have a Sig P226 and they are nice, however the .22 conversion does NOT lock back the slide. You can put aftermarket magazine followers in the magazines that will stop the slide from going forward when empty on the .22 however this doesn't meet your requirements and would stretch your budget by the time you factor in buying extra magazines, followers etc.

While I am personally not a fan of Glocks have you thought about going for a G17 (or 19) and getting the .22 conversion. I've shot them and they seemed fine, although I don't recall if the slide locked back (I think it did) this would work out MUCH cheaper for buying the firearms and subsequent extra magazines than the Sig for example. Not sure if a Glock counts as Ugly for you?

TheWombat

Call up your PD or pay them a visit and ask to amend your application to 3 pistol permits. I doubt they will give you a hard time. They just have to type up two more permits. Wost thing is they say "no".

I wasn't aware you could do this. I'll have to pay my PD a visit tomorrow morning. I assumed once you handed them the paper it was set in stone.

You probably wont find any Beretta 92 or CZ 75 police trade ins. Sounds like a Glock 17 with conversion would be your best bet.

I'm not looking for a police trade-in. I meant that I have no issues buying a used gun regardless of damage to the finish so long as it still goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

Edit-

No, I don't think Glocks are ugly. They're no 1911 or Beretta 92, but they aren't exactly a Hi-Point either.

The main issue I have with the Glock, and any striker-fired weapon, is that you lack re-strike capability, which may be important with the cheap .22 I plan on feeding it.

The main issue I have with the Glock, and any striker-fired weapon, is that you lack re-strike capability, which may be important with the cheap .22 I plan on feeding it.

I'd look at it the other way, shooting .22LR is a great way to practice your tap & racks and how to clear malfunctions hence the re-strike capability is not an issue. I'm assuming the .22LR ammunition is just for plinking in the range and that you'd use 9mm Hollow Points for Defense. If you use CC MiniMags for the first ~200+ or so rounds on the .22 conversion you should then be ok with (at least some of) the cheaper stuff afterwards.

hth

TheWombat

I would look at #1 upgrading the P2P's to at least 2, and not looking at a coversion, but a second gun. You sure can do under your 1K target price and have both and maybe a few buck for ammo left over. For a 22LR Semi I'd look at the Ruger MK II/III or GSG 1911-22.

For the 9mm, I'd look hold and shoot the ones your thinking about and see what you like the best, same goes for the 22LR's, how and shoot to make your final decision.

Why no DAO gun?

Long heavy pull. If I was carrying it maybe, but for just for plinking and USPSA or Steel having a much lighter trigger (from the second shot on) would be nice. When I go to the range I'll usually do a magazine or two in double action with the P22 and it is considerably harder to be accurate at any significant range.

Single action I can keep 90% of the shots in the black at 15 yards, double action I can keep them on paper at least.

I may take a look at the M&P 9 and 22. They seem to be fairly well reviewed, but the biggest factor is what fits in my hand.

Makes sense. Although I am mostly a Glock guy, I love my Kimber Custom II and shoot my 92FS a little. My best friend has a M&P40c and it is a nice gun. I may look at a M&P 40 in the future and a Walther PPQ, but funds this month are reserved for another part of the Glock family. :)

From my experience I've never had cheap 22lr ammo fire after striking it a second time.

Even the good stuff usually doesn't go off. I do not recall a moment where it has ever

happened. But that's just me.

Centerfire yes.

The P22 I usually rent was broken today, so I tried out their Beretta 92 instead. It felt quite good in my hand and even though it is a 9mm I was able to get my sights back on target much quicker than I can with the P22.

I think I will need to find a new range though, $19.85 for a box of 9 is a bit steep, $.40/round, and I've seen bulk 9mm online for about $.20/round...

Does anyone know of any ranges in the area that rent the M&P 9mm or the CZ 75?