I wanted to post this because it was a first time experience for me, and I thought it might be helpful to others. I left for Florida last Wednesday for a business conference. Since I had recently obtained my Florida CCW permit, I was determined to take a handgun with me. After some research on this forum and others about air travel with a firearm, I thought it best to call the carrier (Jet Blue) to be sure I was doing everything properly. The person I spoke with was polite, but merely read back to me the same information that was available on the website. Moreover, she told me that the gun needed to be in a separate suitcase, outside the rest of my luggage, which I was sure was incorrect. I checked the TSA website and confirmed that it needed to be in a locked hard case in my suitcase, with the ammo separate.

When I got to the airport, I declared the firearm while I was checking in. I signed a declaration, then the woman at the baggage counter took the key from me and accompanied me to another counter where she took my suitcase behind a door to be checked by someone. From what I had read, I understood that I was going to open the case in front of a TSA agent for him to check inside. Anyway, she came back to tell me everything was OK, and she handed me back the key.

On my return, I made the same declaration, and the baggage counter agent led me directly to a TSA officer. He took the suitcase from me without even asking me for the key (I offered it), placed it on a belt, presumably to X-ray it; then sent me on my way, telling me everything was fine. Everything went without a hitch, and the whole process only took me about an extra 5-10 minutes each way. My experience confirmed what I had read, that the procedure can vary quite a bit, depending on the airline, the airport, and the people inolved.

I arrived in Florida on Wednesday evening, I headed to a bar for a couple of beers and some light pub food. I had read in the fine print that came with my CCW permit, that weapons were not permitted in bars (along with a number of other places), so be sure to read the info carefully before packing. The next morning, after a beautiful run along the packed sand Gulf beach, I headed out for breakfast with my Springfield Armory XD9 SC in my Crossbreed IWB holster.

I must say that having spent my entire life in NY and NJ, it was a weird experience! I felt like everyone was looking at me, although of course they weren't. I kept tugging at my shirt tail and checking in the mirror, sure tells to any bad guys in the area that I was CCW'ing.

I toted my HG around all day, putting it in my satchel when I went down to sit by the pool. I had it with me the next day at my conference, and while it was physically quite comfortable, I was still pretty self-conscious all day, particularly when someone was walking right behind me, or when someone bumped into me. (I was wearing it in the 4-5:00 position.)

All in all, the whole thing went pretty smoothly. I was glad for all the training I've taken at Gun for Hire. I guess that it gets to be second nature eventually, as with anything else. I would be interested to hear anyone's comments or similar experiences. Sorry this turned into such a lengthy blog.

• Like 5

I recommend strapping the gun on when you get home, and wearing it around the house. In a short period of time it will become second nature to walk around wearing it.

Did this for a while with my CM9, i can hide that in a high-noon IWB with just a T shirt.

OP I def understand the way you feel. I have carried a few times in PA / Philly with a FL CCW, feels great, but honestly after a few hours, I forgot it was even there LOL.

• Like 1

[little kid's voice] Tell me, again, Uncle Glock, what it's like to visit America. [/little kid's voice] Oh, Florida, how I miss the freedoms that I once took for granted.

LOL to that! Yes, that's kind of how I felt when I was there. Guys, I appreicate your kind comments, especially since I gave serious thought to not posting this after I wrote it, thinking it might be too self-indulgent. And yes, I did fly out of Newark. As jOn suggested, I do sometimes carry when I'm home. Actually, I find the Crossbreed IWB holster to be quite comfortable. It was more the mental issues, the thought that people might know I was carrying that made me a bit uneasy. At one point I even chuckled to myself, envisioning a scenario where someone caught a glimpse and yelled out,

"LOOK OUT! HE'S GOT A GUN!" Not sure if that would happen in Florida, but it would certainly be a possibility for those fortunate few who carry in New Jersey.

Just got back from a few days in Florida again. (Pleasure this time, not business.) Flew on Continental from Newark.

Took the HG again, and the procedure was different, as it seems to be every time. This time they led me over to a TSA office (which looked like a closet), where the polite and helpful agent opened my suitcase, had me uncase the gun, asked me to lock the slide back so he could verify that it was unloaded, had me re-lock and replace the case, X-rayed the suitcase while I waited, then gave me the OK. The whole procedure still took less than 15 minutes.

The funny thing was that the gun never made it out of the locked box, which never made it out of the hotel safe, because

most of my travels included stops at bars, where it's my understanding that guns are prohibited.

Very helpful post! Thanks for writing about your air travel experiences since I was considering taking mine out west for a vacation to carry on me... Can't imagine what that'll be like since I can't step outside in NJ with this!