VMI_Marine

PCS to NJ

Greetings,

I'm moving to the area around Picatinny this summer, coming from Camp Lejeune, NC. I'm an AR-15/M4 afficianado, so I found this place while researching how to make my rifle NJ-legal. The good news is that it looks like all I need to do is pin my VLTOR stock and the rifle should be good to go. The barrel is 14.5" but has a pinned and welded compensator to bring the OAL to 16.1". I'm not entirely thrilled about drilling a hole in my receiver extension, but I guess I'll just have to replace it when I leave. It could be a lot worse. Right now my aim is to get some good glass, preferably an ACOG, and I'll be set. I look forward to participating, and maybe seeing a few of you out on the range.

rifle.jpg

Hi, Welcome. Sorry to hear about your move to the NJ gulag, but at least you can make the best of it.

To be honest, I'm kind of looking forward to it. I've been in NC for too long, and I'd like a change of scenery. From what I hear, the area around Picatinny Arsenal is pretty nice - much more rural than what most of us Southerners think of when we think "New Jersey". I'm looking forward to more time for shooting, fishing, and Crossfit too - I've been in the Operating Forces for the past 10 years, and I'm getting a little tired of deploying away from home.

To be honest, I'm kind of looking forward to it. I've been in NC for too long, and I'd like a change of scenery. From what I hear, the area around Picatinny Arsenal is pretty nice - much more rural than what most of us Southerners think of when we think "New Jersey". I'm looking forward to more time for shooting, fishing, and Crossfit too - I've been in the Operating Forces for the past 10 years, and I'm getting a little tired of deploying away from home.

The area around the arsenal is in NW New Jersey. North of 80, west of 287 gets pretty rural and hilly. It's somewhat like the hilly portions of NC, not quite as mountainous as say Ashville, but rolling hills and lots of woods. My comment was in regard to the asinine gun laws. I come from Ohio where the laws are vastly better than NJ so my opinion is somewhat jaded. I think you'll like it up here and you can get into the city once in a while to get your fill of what that has to offer.