keithco88

Generator recommendations?

I'm sure some of us have the zombie apocalypse in mind when we start buying firearms...but I'm more worried about the storm that knocks out power for everyone for 3 weeks and I need to protect and provide for my family including small child.

To that end I've started researching generators and thought I'd get some recommendations from local folks who may have experience. Here's my thought process and what I'm looking for:

A) I'm mostly settled on a stationary unit over a portable because 1) I can't envision a scenario where I'd take up valuable space in my car (which is not big) to accommodate a generator over other supplies 2) because there has been a rash of burglaries recently and if push comes to shove I don't want to go to the hassle of buying a generator just to have somebody come and steal it in the middle of the night and 3) price point for what i'm looking for in portable to stationary is pretty similar, with some other added benefits to stationary units

B) I'm thinking something with a natural gas primary and a propane backup because there are RARELY natural gas outages of any significant duration and I always have 2 20lb propane tanks around for my grill anyway.

C) I'm targeting between 6 and 10kw to just power my house. i'm not running an air conditioner or laundry machines here...just keep the family warm and reasonably comfortable to ride out the situation

D) I'd love to spend less than $3,000

E) I'm 50/50 on an automatic vs manual switch over. I don't know if i'm willing to go over my price point to get automatic as the only scenario where I'd theoretically need it is if I'm out of the house and have no way to get back to turn it on...in which case I'd probably enlist the help of neighbors or family.

I've seen some Generac units that fall into this bucket, but at the same time read that the Generac units are chinese made crap that fall apart with a stiff wind. Googling "standby generator".

Any actual experience with given brands/models is appreciated, or any objective research you'd like to share would be awesome.

Thanks

Keith

One piece of advice, spend the money on something quiet like a Honda or Yamaha. I go to motorcycle track days all the time and some folks' cheap generators make life miserable. It might seem like a luxury but after several hours a noisy generator really really sucks. After a recent blackout in Fort Lee, a few people had generators running that made the place sound like a 1940's aircraft carrier.

It's usually cost prohibitive to power the entire house with a portable generator. In order to properly size the generator to your needs, you need to determine your emergency requirements. While it's understandable to want to run the refrigerator and the family room, don't forget to include the heat (boiler or furnace), DHW and if you have a well, the well pump.

If your DHW is an electric source, a 5 to 6Kw generator will not be large enough as the DHW heater will consume 5Kw by itself.

I have an old 5.5Kw from Sears (Honda engine) that I purchased over 10 years ago. It puts out a very "smooth" 240VAC. Some of the less expensive models put out a "lumpy" 240VAC (ranging from 210 to 250VAC). To me, this is the most important feature. An auto governed unit is not desirable. On the surface it sounds like a great idea (low rpm with no load, high rpm under load) until you start popping breakers because the in-rush was too great for the unit to respond in time.

Regarding reliability, even a good unit can fail early in the hands of an inept owner; and a "value" unit can last decades in the hands of someone who is willing to give it some TLC. Fuel must be drained when stored. Oil must be changed as required. I store my generator in the garage, out of the elements. It looks the same today as the day I brought it home.

Northern Tool (http://www.northerntool.com/) is a good place to shop. Don't forget to budget for a sub-panel, 10/4 cable and a 240VDC outdoor hook-up.

I have owned a Generac 4kw since 2003. It is far from Junk. I have done some maintenance on it, but nothing major.

I'm putting an addition on my house and i'm installing a 14kw generac auto switchover that runs on propane.

This will be more than enough to run everything but my electric water heater at the same time. I will be able to flip some stuff off to run the water heater, so I'm going to be pretty much set.

If you go with the 6kw, get a manual switching box so you can tightly control your load. You have some more room with a 10kw, but you do need to keep the ACs De-energized.

I agree with the others. Figure out what you want to be able to power, then go from there. I'm familiar with smaller 2400-watt type gennys for camping, but that's about it. Honda and Yamaha are top of the line for that application, with the newish Champion coming in third.

I'm converting my range to gas so that should leave me in the 5-6kw range as far as power needs, with sump pump and central heat having the priority.

I checked into Honda and Yamaha and they actually have dB ratings on par with their competition and are substantially more expensive. Generac, Winco and Briggs & Stratton keep coming up as the primary with similar price points. Winco actually makes a tri-fuel portable (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=tri+fuel+generator&cid=11011920863259028055&os=reviews) that's pretty well reviewed that costs the same as the Generac fixed ng/lpg of the same wattage rating (http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-5837-Standby-Generator/p5524.html)

I however have no idea how I'd hook natural gas up to a portable generator. I assume I'd need somebody to run a line to my garage and use a soft/temp hose and leave the generator sitting outside.

why? you own stock in the company? gimme some data man

For portable units, I have to agree, I have camped out with generators all around me at the all Harley Drag races before and I'll tell you I could use a Honda as a pillow they are so dang quites, also from what every one I know that has them say they are a high quality product.

I checked into Honda and Yamaha and they actually have dB ratings on par with their competition and are substantially more expensive.

Make sure you actually listen to them at the dealer. I am skeptical that the published db's are accurate, in my subjective experience I can hear a BIG difference from a Honda/Yamaha vs. a Briggs at the track.

Make sure you actually listen to them at the dealer. I am skeptical that the published db's are accurate, in my subjective experience I can hear a BIG difference from a Honda/Yamaha vs. a Briggs at the track.

I'm assuming these are the 2-3kw range rather than the 5-8kw range right? From my limited experience a lot more resource is spent on these smaller hand-portable devices to make them quiet compared to a 5-8kw that would be used as a house emergency backup genny

why? you own stock in the company? gimme some data man

Theres nothing like the quiet hum of a Honda generator. Even brands that claim 10db higher than a Honday...10db is alot...when we ride a track days everyone uses a Honda for their tire warmers...then theres always "that guy" with the loud a$$ generator that when he shuts it off for lunch the whole paddock claps lol. In a pinch I picked up a Champion 3500w generator in preperations for Irene, and thankfully I didn't need it. Long term plan is to sell it, get a minimum Honda 5K, multi fuel(reg fuel, NG, and propane), 240v, in the shed w/transfer switch to back feed the house panel.

I'm looking at a Briggs & Stratton 12kw Nat gas with a 100amp auto switch. It will power my whole house including central air. It is a nice self contained unit.that looks like an ac compressor. It is available in Nat gas or propane. About $5000 installed.

I agree, with experience, what these guys are saying about the Honda. Forget about those published readings on those other generators. In the 2400-3000 watt range, the Honda is number one, the Yamaha comes in at a close second. Everything else is noticeably loader. If loudness doesn't matter to you, (it may to the neighbors) look at that yellow one from Champion.

I'm looking at a Briggs & Stratton 12kw Nat gas with a 100amp auto switch. It will power my whole house including central air. It is a nice self contained unit.that looks like an ac compressor. It is available in Nat gas or propane. About $5000 installed.

Just make sure its multi fuel not just NG...say something should happen in the area and they need to shut the NG supply to your area, you'll have a backup fuel source.

Honda appears to only make gasoline powered models. I'm looking for something that's at least dual fuel and/or supports natural gas.

Hmm, I'm not happy about this...looking at thier site as well...gotta see whats what here.

I'm assuming these are the 2-3kw range rather than the 5-8kw range right? From my limited experience a lot more resource is spent on these smaller hand-portable devices to make them quiet compared to a 5-8kw that would be used as a house emergency backup genny

Correct. It might be less of an issue with larger units, I just wanted to stress that you "test drive" it before purchase to be sure you can live with it hour after hour.

Just make sure its multi fuel not just NG...say something should happen in the area and they need to shut the NG supply to your area, you'll have a backup fuel source.

Not worried about dual fuel. If the Nat Gas goes out we are in real trouble.

For a Nat. gas powered unit, I would recommend Generac or Kohler. These units usually come from the factory propane or natural, so I would research quite a bit about switching between the two.

If I were putting one in my home, I would size large enough to cover my basics(heat, water, food, light, etc.) but not much more. These units can get pretty expensive pretty quick. Personally, I would go for a manual transfer switch.

If you do go with a fixed unit, make sure you get permits from the town you live in. You can do the work yourself as long as it is a single family dwelling, and your primary residence.

For a Nat. gas powered unit, I would recommend Generac or Kohler. These units usually come from the factory propane or natural, so I would research quite a bit about switching between the two.

If I were putting one in my home, I would size large enough to cover my basics(heat, water, food, light, etc.) but not much more. These units can get pretty expensive pretty quick. Personally, I would go for a manual transfer switch.

If you do go with a fixed unit, make sure you get permits from the town you live in. You can do the work yourself as long as it is a single family dwelling, and your primary residence.

Thanks Brisco...unfortunately I'm not that handy with plumbing and only OK with electric so I'll probably get a pro.

With regards to Generac vs Kohler - i've seen a real price jump for the same kw from Generac to Kohler...but I've also seen a few reviews that Generac has a lot of chinese made crap in the guts. Any experience or stories you have here?

Here you go. Available in LP or Natural gas. 10kWs, baby!

http://www.costco.co...41*3242*=

Just fwiw, that's a rebranded Generac 10kw. Decent price.

As far as the Chinese parts go, I've not heard of any complaints with these units.

I would feel comfortable with either one. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you long term history for the units I ran gas lines for. I do trust the electricians that I work with though, as they usually supply the unit.

I have noticed most customers with the smaller units(6kW, 9kW, 13kW) go for Generac, while the larger units(25kW, 45kW) are usually Kohler.

Last one I helped my electrician friend get in place: Kohler 20kW, 150 ft. from driveway, with no way to get a machine in to place unit on pad. Around 500 lbs.--- no picnic. Nice unit though.

I'm sure some of us have the zombie apocalypse in mind when we start buying firearms...but I'm more worried about the storm that knocks out power for everyone for 3 weeks and I need to protect and provide for my family including small child.

To that end I've started researching generators and thought I'd get some recommendations from local folks who may have experience. Here's my thought process and what I'm looking for:

A) I'm mostly settled on a stationary unit over a portable because 1) I can't envision a scenario where I'd take up valuable space in my car (which is not big) to accommodate a generator over other supplies 2) because there has been a rash of burglaries recently and if push comes to shove I don't want to go to the hassle of buying a generator just to have somebody come and steal it in the middle of the night and 3) price point for what i'm looking for in portable to stationary is pretty similar, with some other added benefits to stationary units

B) I'm thinking something with a natural gas primary and a propane backup because there are RARELY natural gas outages of any significant duration and I always have 2 20lb propane tanks around for my grill anyway.

C) I'm targeting between 6 and 10kw to just power my house. i'm not running an air conditioner or laundry machines here...just keep the family warm and reasonably comfortable to ride out the situation

D) I'd love to spend less than $3,000

E) I'm 50/50 on an automatic vs manual switch over. I don't know if i'm willing to go over my price point to get automatic as the only scenario where I'd theoretically need it is if I'm out of the house and have no way to get back to turn it on...in which case I'd probably enlist the help of neighbors or family.

I've seen some Generac units that fall into this bucket, but at the same time read that the Generac units are chinese made crap that fall apart with a stiff wind. Googling "standby generator".

Any actual experience with given brands/models is appreciated, or any objective research you'd like to share would be awesome.

Thanks

Keith

Take a real good look at this before you decide which is best. it not only the cost of the generator but the transfer switch, or interlock kit and install. . Size of the generator make a big difference in the cost of instilation, If you go with natural gas a new line is going to have to be run from the street to the Generator. permits are another issue. The bigger the generator the more expensive the install. I was told for a roof top unit here at Dairy Queen I would be looking at another $10,000 for install ontop of the cost of the generator. . Its a big investment. Take a look at what this guy did.

If you go with natural gas a new line is going to have to be run from the street to the Generator.

Wouldn't you branch off your exisitng meter?

Side note...Didn't read through all the replies, so this might of been mentioned already...when you back feed the panel, it is IMPERATIVE that you throw your main breaker disconnecting you from commercial power. If the power co is working in your area to fix/restore power...you can electricute the worker(s) bigtme. Yes there are safety measures that they should carry out and usually do, but you turn on your gen and backfeed the panel after they check to see if the line(s) are dead, they can be seriously hurt. So just keep in mind first things first, throw the main breaker. I really like that device thats in that vid...it makes you throw the main before you can throw on your genny breaker.

• Like 1

Wouldn't you branch off your exisitng meter?

Side note...Didn't read through all the replies, so this might of been mentioned already...when you back feed the panel, it is IMPERATIVE that you throw your main breaker disconnecting you from commercial power. If the power co is working in your area to fix/restore power...you can electricute the worker(s) bigtme. Yes there are safety measures that they should carry out and usually do, but you turn on your gen and backfeed the panel after they check to see if the line(s) are dead, they can be seriously hurt. So just keep in mind first things first, throw the main breaker. I really like that device thats in that vid...it makes you throw the main before you can throw on your genny breaker.

Thats very good question Joe. The answer I got was no. The line isn't large enough to run a generator and your home. I would have needed another line and a meter. Thats another service charge every month.