RedBowTies88

checking before i order: Lee reloading kit

So I'm about to pull the trigger on this lee anniversey kit

http://www.midwayusa...anniversary-kit

I've heard good things about it, mostly from this site.

few minor questions,

1. Do I need a vibrator to clean cases even if im only loading to a low capicity at the moment? basically can they be hand cleaned and how much of a PITA is it if so? (only .38spl ATM)

2. I have a digital scale that reads in grains, could I piece the same kit together and save some coin? (honestly looking at the picture I can't make out every single component it includes).

3. anything besides die's, power, primers I'll need to begin loading?

4. anyplace local besides cabelas I can get power and primers to avoid hazmat fees?

5. any reason I should not get this? besides soemones brand loyalty

Get a few more of these if you order this. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/971565/lee-breech-lock-quick-change-bushings-package-of-2?cm_vc=S015ID423081 I started with this kit for loading .223, the scale can be a bit of a pain to get set correctly, but it seems to be fairly accurate. Overall it's a good press for you to learn on, also get a reloading manual or two.

The only thing i could suggest if you want to go with a lee press is to go with one of theese .Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press the reason for this is if you are loading for hand gun . the single stage press will get old real fast . you will handle each piece of brass at least 4 times to load one round.

1 size case remove primer change out die

2 expand case mouth change out die

3 install new primer using the hand priming tool

4 add powder also change out die

5 place bullet on case mouth

6 put case in press

7 now we have 1 round

I have been doing this for a while it is alot of work with a single stage press to be honest reloading is now becomming a chore instead of fun . I will be getting a peogressive loader soon...

Hand Priming Tool Shellholders

you will also need to order theese i dont see that they come with the kit

I would def get a tumbler, no need to clean brass yourself, unless you have nothing better to do. Also, the Lee 1000 suggestion is great, or at least a Lee Classic Turret (a bit less expensive than the 1000 I think.) I started with the classic and went to the Dillon 650, so my advice may be skewed :-).

I still have my lee turret and most likely will set it up for rifle rounds, at least until I get them perfect.

I bought this same kit a little over a year ago and it's pretty good. I wound up replacing the scale with a 505 because the scale that it came with wasn't accurate (checked with check weights). I have nothing else to add that anyone else hasn't said, just agreeing with them all. Vibratory cleaner, calipers, case gauge, extra bushings, hand primer shellholders, and definitely a few reloading manuals (and ABC's of Reloading if you're new).

As far as going progressive, I agree with that as well. I wanted to get a single stage to help me learn the process (and because I load rifle also, so I'll keep using it anyway), but now I'm ready to move up to progressive. I can load 50 rounds in about 30-40 minutes once the brass is prepped and everything is set up, but it all depends on how much you shoot. If you're only going to shoot 100-200 rounds a month, then single stage is probably fine for you, but much more than that and you'll want to step up.

As far as going progressive, I agree with that as well. I wanted to get a single stage to help me learn the process (and because I load rifle also, so I'll keep using it anyway), but now I'm ready to move up to progressive. I can load 50 rounds in about 30-40 minutes once the brass is prepped and everything is set up, but it all depends on how much you shoot. If you're only going to shoot 100-200 rounds a month, then single stage is probably fine for you, but much more than that and you'll want to step up.

Man, your gonna love a progressive, 100rds of 9mm in 06:38!!!

Well thanks guys now im second guessing myself.

Another guestion if you don't mind, lets say with a basic straight wall pistol round. After a reasonable amount of practice and getting everything setup how many rounds could the average person load in say an hour with a single stage? Using the quickchage dies that lee has.

Well thanks guys now im second guessing myself.

Another guestion if you don't mind, lets say with a basic straight wall pistol round. After a reasonable amount of practice and getting everything setup how many rounds could the average person load in say an hour with a single stage? Using the quickchage dies that lee has.

When I'm loading 9mm, once I have the powder dispenser set up properly, cases already cleaned and sized, I can churn out probably 100 rounds in a little over an hour. And that's using a hand priming tool. If you include sizing the brass in that, maybe add 10-15 minutes per 100. Using the quick change bushings from Lee makes the die changes take about 20-30 seconds, tops. It definitely saves you time in not having to re-adjust the dies every single time since Lee's lock rings aren't very good. If you used a split lock ring that actually tightened down onto the die itself then it probably wouldn't take that long, but the Lee lock rings only keep it from moving in the press, it doesn't save its position.

When I'm loading 9mm, once I have the powder dispenser set up properly, cases already cleaned and sized, I can churn out probably 100 rounds in a little over an hour. And that's using a hand priming tool. If you include sizing the brass in that, maybe add 10-15 minutes per 100. Using the quick change bushings from Lee makes the die changes take about 20-30 seconds, tops. It definitely saves you time in not having to re-adjust the dies every single time since Lee's lock rings aren't very good. If you used a split lock ring that actually tightened down onto the die itself then it probably wouldn't take that long, but the Lee lock rings only keep it from moving in the press, it doesn't save its position.

I do about 100/hr of .40 also.

I don't understand the movement part though...if you tighten the jam nut against the quick change "breech lock" bushing it goes back to the same spot every time for me. The little detent in the bushing engages a button on the press so I'm not sure how it moves for you.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant if you don't use the quick change bushings, because I know there are a number of people that say that the quick change bushings don't save you any time. Without the bushings on a regular press, if you have lee lock rings you will have to reset them every time, but if you have higher end split lock rings, you can save your setting. But if you do have the breech lock press with bushings, your settings are saved.

IMO, once you start reloading, you'll start reloading other calibers. A single stage press is always a useful thing to have. I plan on upgrading to progressive soon but I don't regret buying the breech lock press anyway. I do, however, regret not building my loading bench big enough, but unfortunately there's a lally column in the way, so I couldn't make it any bigger.

I think you'll be well served with that kit (and everything else everyone recommended). The only other thing I can say about it is that powder dispenser is not very good for flake powders; it tends to leak a little from the side. It's still very consistent, but it annoys me that it leaks. It's great with stick powders though which I use for rifle. From what I've heard, the powder dispenser that uses the disks is better for flake powders (but not as good for stick).

IMO, once you start reloading, you'll start reloading other calibers. A single stage press is always a useful thing to have. I plan on upgrading to progressive soon but I don't regret buying the breech lock press anyway. I do, however, regret not building my loading bench big enough, but unfortunately there's a lally column in the way, so I couldn't make it any bigger.

I think you'll be well served with that kit (and everything else everyone recommended). The only other thing I can say about it is that powder dispenser is not very good for flake powders; it tends to leak a little from the side. It's still very consistent, but it annoys me that it leaks. It's great with stick powders though which I use for rifle. From what I've heard, the powder dispenser that uses the disks is better for flake powders (but not as good for stick).

Good to know about the measure. Also I do plan on other calibers down the road. 7.62x54 if the milsup goes up in price and 9x18 if maybe I can find some lead to cast bullets with.