johnp

Stuff Civillians say to Veterans

Funny video but all too true sometimes.

"No Veterans were harmed in the making of this product. Actually, everyone in the production served or serves in one way or the other."

Sad but true. Especially the stuff about "have you ever killed someone." Not a vet myself but my father was in Vietnam and my grandfather in WWII. I just can't help but cringe at the stuff I hear asked of veterans.

I never served but my father did in Vietnam and several of my friends did in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have stopped people in mid sentence when they start going down that path. I am like you don't ask those questions, if he(the vet they are talking to) wants you to know that he would tell you without you asking it..

I am 31 now and learned more about my dads deployment last year when i kinda forced him to go to the VA to get checked out. My father never talked about Vietnam really when i was growing up but now that i am older and have talked to several guys that have done recent tours i understand he had/has ptsd from it. My father was drafted in 1969 and got out of the Army in 1971, he also came home with a little extra metal in his body as well. lol My dad has a purple heart, silver star and some other medals. The guy i work with who served said you hardly see a drafted or non officer guy get a ss.

Thank you to all the service men and women.

I never served but my father did in Vietnam and several of my friends did in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have stopped people in mid sentence when they start going down that path. I am like you don't ask those questions, if he(the vet they are talking to) wants you to know that he would tell you without you asking it..

I am 31 now and learned more about my dads deployment last year when i kinda forced him to go to the VA to get checked out. My father never talked about Vietnam really when i was growing up but now that i am older and have talked to several guys that have done recent tours i understand he had/has ptsd from it. My father was drafted in 1969 and got out of the Army in 1971, he also came home with a little extra metal in his body as well. lol My dad has a purple heart, silver star and some other medals. The guy i work with who served said you hardly see a drafted or non officer guy get a ss.

Thank you to all the service men and women.

I'm a Vietnam Vet. I don't think, from my experience, being drafted or non-officer has anything to do with getting or not getting a Silver Star. However, if your father were a senior NCO or say a captain or above he probably would have gotten a Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross, or Navy Cross depending on which branch he served in.

I'm a Vietnam Vet. I don't think, from my experience, being drafted or non-officer has anything to do with getting or not getting a Silver Star. However, if your father were a senior NCO or say a captain or above he probably would have gotten a Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross, or Navy Cross depending on which branch he served in.

When I was in country the entire Army was put on notice that too many officers were getting combat medals while not going outside the wire, while NCO's and below were having their Bronze Stars downgraded to ARCOMs. I went to BNCOC with this guy that told this horrific story about a guy in his platoon that was blown out of his M1114 by an IED, stood up amid a small arms attack, gathered his wits in a ditch and went back to the burning vehicle to pull his comrades out and into the ditch. He returned fire until help arrived.

People with him put him in for a Bronze star and it was downgraded to an ARCOM, while an officer at the tail end of the convoy, his first convoy, got the Bronze for valor.

The number of senior officers getting valor ribbons between 2003 and 2006 outnumbered NCO's and enlisted by about 30%

Funny video, never understood why people always ask about kills.

Kids get a pass though. My friend's son at about 7 yrs. asked me "How many guys did you get??? " with his fists all bunched and his little war face on. I had to tell him "Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand!" and we were like buds!

• Like 1

" did you learn any Arabic ? deka derka derka"

That was funny but probably all too true . People do say the stupidest s%^t.

I usually just say "Thanks for your service" , or maybe ask where they were stationed..let them choose if they want to add anything beyond that. My grandfather was in the 101st Division , the Black Panthers , and was on the USS Leopold . He saw a lot of action in WWII ( and Korea) . He spent over 30 days in a Foxhole in France. He never said anything about it beyond the fact that it was over 30 days in the "same damn Foxhole" . That and a few words about the French. He obviously didn't want to talk about it.

My grandfather was in the 101st Division , the Black Panthers , and was on the USS Leopold . He saw a lot of action in WWII ( and Korea) . He spent over 30 days in a Foxhole in France. He never said anything about it beyond the fact that it was over 30 days in the "same damn Foxhole" . That and a few words about the French. He obviously didn't want to talk about it.

You should look all that up. The Black Panthers were actually the 66th division and had an interesting ordeal on the "Leopoldville"

http://www.lonesentry.com/gi_stories_booklets/66thinfantry/index.html

The 101st are "The Screaming Eagles" and had their own "rendezvous with destiny.". And I say rendezvous but I mean it as a plural as it is the most decorated division in the Army.

If you have any of his paper work it would be pretty easy to get an idea of where he was. I helped my wife's family do this when her father died. He was on a minesweeper that was lost in a typhoon and was literally marooned on a deserted island just after the invasion of Okinawa.

I may be confusing division numbers from WWII , Korea ...etc. Then he was in the Merchent Marines during Vietnam.

Infuriating story..I was suppose to inherit his entire WWII photo book and documentation. Pictures of him with prisoners , men around a downed plane. That , and his German Issue Luger that he brought home with him. I did not get any of it as promised because of family B.S . I did get his Mossberg though .

I have his name , year of birth , those types of vitals. Nothing else. I was suppose to get all his WWII stuff because I was the only one who would ask to see the book and who listened to all his non combat related WWII stories. My uncle , his brother , was a cook in the Army during WWII. They managed to meet up in France , got some leave time , and got into a huge brawl in a bar. There is a b/w picture of them from the next morning. They both have their caps on crooked , my grandpa has a black eye and my uncle was missing teeth.

My dad does have some kind of letter pertaining to the Leopoldville.

I kind of fume when I think of not getting what was intended for me , so , you know.

Veterans need to leave that acting stuff to the professionals. As a broadcast professional and combat vet, i cringe at what soldiers have made on their personal computers trying to be funny.

However this one is absolutely a classic

Oh wow I'm laughing my a** off over here. Watching this stuff makes me want to join even more than I already do.

IMO, if you have an interest in joining the military go for it! Other than the typical recruiter jargon, you really will enjoy the hell out of it. Even the bad memories are somehow good ones...if that makes any sense. Don't regret not doing it.

Veterans need to leave that acting stuff to the professionals. As a broadcast professional and combat vet, i cringe at what soldiers have made on their personal computers trying to be funny.

However this one is absolutely a classic

Crazy enough, that was my former battalion, and I knew all of those Soldiers. This video was made by SPC Braxton (who delved into amateur film making after he separated) for our annual Army ball and the Overhead Conference, and is the reason why a lot of those scenes are actually battalion jokes (though I guess all unit issues are pretty universal, allowing everybody to relate pretty easily). Since my unit was only a battalion, everybody got to know each other pretty well... hmm, good times. Also, another interesting tidbit, this YouTube video is the most public information on my unit available on the public internet!

Crazy enough, that was my former battalion, and I knew all of those Soldiers. This video was made by SPC Braxton (who delved into amateur film making after he separated) for our annual Army ball and the Overhead Conference, and is the reason why a lot of those scenes are actually battalion jokes (though I guess all unit issues are pretty universal, allowing everybody to relate pretty easily). Since my unit was only a battalion, everybody got to know each other pretty well... hmm, good times. Also, another interesting tidbit, this YouTube video is the most public information on my unit available on the public internet!

How cool!. I first saw this at BNCOC at Ft. Dix. It was shown to us by the Sergeant Major of the school. I hope Spc. Braxton has found a rewarding carer at it.

You should look all that up. The Black Panthers were actually the 66th division and had an interesting ordeal on the "Leopoldville"

http://www.lonesentr...ntry/index.html

The 101st are "The Screaming Eagles" and had their own "rendezvous with destiny.". And I say rendezvous but I mean it as a plural as it is the most decorated division in the Army.

If you have any of his paper work it would be pretty easy to get an idea of where he was. I helped my wife's family do this when her father died. He was on a minesweeper that was lost in a typhoon and was literally marooned on a deserted island just after the invasion of Okinawa.

My father was in the Army 101st Airborne "Puking Buzzards" as he called it. He was medevac off of Firebase Ripcord a couple hours before it was over taken. Attached is a medals case i had made for him this past Christmas.

post-1292-0-28298300-1332474658_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My father was in the Army 101st Airborne "Puking Buzzards" as he called it. He was medevac off of Firebase Ripcord a couple hours before it was over taken. Attached is a medals case i had made for him this past Christmas.

post-1292-0-28298300-1332474658_thumb.jpg

nice collection of hardware. A Bronze and a Silver Star, your dad is a verifiable hero.

nice collection of hardware. A Bronze and a Silver Star, your dad is a verifiable hero.

Thank you

He had his rank for 2 or 3 weeks he said. A new butter bar Lt. showed up and ordered my dad to have his guys at night with the lights on go into a field and move the dead bodies. My dad instructed his guys not to listen to this "dumb a**" unless you want to die. After he got disciplined the Capt. called him into his barracks and said on paper he has to agree to the demotion of title but between us i agree with you and that guy won't be around much longer if he keeps making those decisions. All the guys that didn't obey the order got put on latrine duty ior somethign and my dad for a week got to hang out with the Capt. in his barracks and play chess in the AC. lol