charleslee

CZ Scorpion NJ legal?

Violates the two evil features: 1) A magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; and, 2) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm, plus it has what might be construed as a barrel shroud.

Isn't the folding stock also evil?

The civilian, semi-automatic version of the Skorpian does not have a folding stock. If it did, it would be a SBR and need an NFA tax stamp in a free state. Not legal at all in NJ.

max im pretty sure the draco is a no go b/c of weight.... i was just thinking that what if you ordered the version with the stock and short barrel and had the ffl weld a fake supressor onto it would that then change the weapon to a rifle there for g2g?

One of them was under the weight limit. Saw it at BA and had a discussion with Phil about it a while back.

and i think the is the tradition scorpian pistol that is a version the is nj legal

The semi auto Scorpion is NJ legal, I know some very careful (you could say skittish) FFL's that have sold them. The "semi auto version of a full auto" provision of the AWB doesn't seem to have any dealers I know of concerned about it being one of the "evil features".

Hmm... That gets me thinking. Every damn evil rifle is a semi auto version of a full auto. AR-15, AK pattern guns, FAL, M1A, and so on...

That provision applies to handguns. And you still have the "shrouded barrel" to worry about - Is it? Isn't it? Only your prosecutor knows for sure.

That provision applies to handguns. And you still have the "shrouded barrel" to worry about - Is it? Isn't it? Only your prosecutor knows for sure.

The Scorpion does not have a barrel shroud. There is a top cover that is removable, but the bottom of the area in front of the mag is the frame of the pistol. I can't imagine that even the most over zealous gun hating prosecutor could claim the frame is part of a barrel shroud.

No, but the top cover could easily be construed as a shroud. Here's the definition from the NJAC...

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

The idea being that the weak hand could be held above the barrel to prevent muzzle rise. Since there is an internal bolt and not a reciprocating slide, the entire top cover could be considered a shroud.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

No, but the top cover could easily be construed as a shroud. Here's the definition from the NJAC...

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

The idea being that the weak hand could be held above the barrel to prevent muzzle rise. Since there is an internal bolt and not a reciprocating slide, the entire top cover could be considered a shroud.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

I think that would be a great reach, especially considering that nothing there is specifically designed to be held or minimize burning hands. Regardless, I know they are being sold and the NJSP doesn't seem to have a problem with it.