Qel Hoth

Bad gun or bad ammo?

I'm STILL waiting on my FID/P2P, so I rented a S&W model 41 at the range tonight. It felt nice and shot well (as I would expect of a $1000+ gun...), 48/50 were in the black on a B-6 at 25 yards, 49/50 were in at least 9 ring on a B-6 at 10 yards, but I did have a few issues with the gun.

I had 8 malfunctions in 200 rounds, 4 were FTE due to the case rupturing, 2 were FTF because the bolt didn't come far enough back to pick up the next round, 1 was a something - spent brass came out of the chamber but got stuck between the top of the ejection port and the top of the next round. The next round canted at an odd angle and took a nice bit of lead out of the bullet when it hit the chamber, which I did not even attempt to shoot. - The last was a failure to fire, the firing pin strike was solid and the round fired after I loaded it into the next magazine, that one was obviously ammo related.

For the 4 case ruptures, there is a split along the side of the case at the 6-7 o'clock position if the firing pin strike is at 12. 3 of the ruptures were accompanied by almost no recoil and no attempt to feed the next round. One had above average recoil and resulted in a double-feed when the next round tried to feed.

I have a feeling the ammo itself may be crap, since even on rounds that cycled the bolt properly, there was a very large variation in recoil. On 5 or so rounds that cycled properly I checked for a squib before firing the next round because the gun barely even moved.

Ammo was all Remington Golden Bullet 40gr LRN in the 50 round boxes.

Pictures of the ruptured cases.

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

Unfortunately I have no choice in the matter. Rental gun, so I have to use the ammo they give me, and this particular range doesn't allow any outside ammo, so even once I have my own gun I will still have to use this stuff when I go there. Though once I have my own I am very likely going to be in the market for a new range. Probably SJSC or CJRPC.

Feeding a S&W41 with crap ammo is a sin that should be punished by something akin to your crazy ex-girlfriend and her bff playing tug-of-war with your testicles. :shout:

What POS range supplied you with Remington Golden 22LR for their rental 41?? :mad:

The S&W41 is a TARGET pistol that was made to fire STANDARD VELOCITY ammo, not hi speed junk. :nono:

If the range installed a heavier-than-factory recoil spring and/or a plastic recoil buffer in it, it would explain the erratic slide operation.

Please tell us where you were so we can avoid the place.

I would not have continued to shoot that ammo with those splits..did you show the RO or anyone of range safety the fired cases? It could have caused damage to you, person shooting next to you or the gun...dunno might have even been a fault in gun...did you try a different lot number of ammo from the range? what did range personnel tell you? glad your ok..hope you were wearing real safety glasses...

The range has no RO, the people who work there stay behind the counter in the store unless there is a new shooter or they notice a problem. The first 2 times it happened I had them get the case out, they didn't seem to think there was any problem and said that it happens with that gun sometimes. After the second time they just gave me the squib rod and said if it does it again just remove it myself.

I didn't check the lot #, so I'm not sure.

Was definitely wearing real safety glasses, anything less is just plain stupid.

Bad ammo.

I've found some Remington standard fodder to be junk over the years. Poorest QC I've ever seen of any ammo. I would get sucked into buying it because it was cheap.......and it lived up to that description. Feed the M41 good standard velocity target ammo. Use the high grade stuff for matches. I shot Federal Gold Medal Target mostly and sometimes would treat myself to some CCI Green Tag or RWS in my 41. I never had a problem with any of those brands & never once needed an alibi in a bullseye match.