fmtek

Kimber Solo - anyone shoot one yet?

Hey. Was wondering if anyone picked up a Kimber Solo or has shot one yet. I'm interested in this pistol for the FL CCW.

Any opinions?

Also. My buddy likes the Kahr PM9. But would settle for a CM9 due to price. I'd like to look at all of them eventually.

Thanks,

-Frank

Take a look at the Beretta Nano as well. My friend just bought one and he loves it.

Although, I have to edit in a disclaimer. As time has progressed, I've really started to gravitate toward Berettas. My bias may be creeping in. But the Kimber Solo is a very pretty gun. The Beretta Nano will never win a beauty contest.

There is a Kahr at Meltzer's, used, for under 5 bills. Can't remember which one.

The Solo is a pretty firearm, however I believe they are running above 8 bills. Not a cheap option. Good luck with whatever you choose.

C

I have a cm9. Great gun

Yeah, my buddy is a cop and they limit off duty carry to pm9 and glock and a couple other pistols. He was trying to make a case for a CM9 due to the price, and they shot him down at first , but now they are looking into it.

I work at the Kimber plant in Yonkers and see how they make these guns. All I can say is you get what you pay for. The workmanship and materials used in a kimber are unlike any other firearm out there. We have a 6 to 11 month backlog on orders now, tells you people are spending the money to get them.

I work at the Kimber plant in Yonkers and see how they make these guns. All I can say is you get what you pay for. The workmanship and materials used in a kimber are unlike any other firearm out there. We have a 6 to 11 month backlog on orders now, tells you people are spending the money to get them.

i know you'll probably say yes, lol... but are kinks worked out... FTF, Magazine falling out while shooting, peening of the black frame? ..

i do like Kimber, i own a Kimber Custom TLE II, and love it.. never had a problem with it, and i'm crazy accurate with it ...

thanks

-Frank

2 less expensive alternatives:

Beretta Nano

Ruger LC9

i was also eyeing up the Ruger ... but keep coming back to the Kimber Solo.. like everyone says, .. it's a nice looking pistol...

yeah.. the price is a little crazy.. but if it shot well and concealed well, i would consider it..

about the ammo,.. even Kimbers site says it shoots better with certain type of ammo, lol... certain hollow points...

but as you said, the price is high, and i was wondering if anyone has shot it, before i buy it and it sits in the case cause i hate shooting it :D

I'm waiting for the Sig P938. http://www.sigsauer....-blackwood.aspxI have a P238 and love it. Curious to see the difference in recoil with the full 9mm. I looked at the Solo before buying the P238. It is good looking but that finish chips off. Every "sample" Solo I looked at had chips out of the finish and was mighty hard to lock the slide to the rear. I know I don't want a Solo for these reasons alone.

Any specific reason you're looking at the Kimber Solo rather than some other pocket size/sub-compact that doesn't have active safeties? Unless you train a lot with the 1911 style platform then my experience is that under stress you may find yourself not working the safety correctly to the detriment of your health.

While not necessarily the final verdict, in pretty much all the GunForHire Urban Pistol classes the 1911s have had issues whether it is failures (eject/feed etc) or user error on the safeties. From chatting to Joe (instructor) in the classes he has run he could only recall one 1911 that has performed without user and/or mechanical issue.

While the Solo is not a 1911, there are mixed verdicts regarding reliability, particularly on the earlier ones so if you go that route I'd highly recommend shooting several hundred rounds through it including the hollow points you plan to carry (assuming you are planning to use HPs).

I'm not saying it is not a good firearm, just that it needs to work when you need it..

TheWombat

I like the 1911 look of it.. but reliability issues, and price are steering me away..

i have been looking at others ... just really curious on the SOLO... i have a Kimber Custom TLE II and have not had any issues with it.. it's eaten all the ammo i've given it, including a few mags of Wolf, which made me cringe!!! lol..

I like the Ruger LC9 and Karh PM9/CM9 ...

Some people may find active safeties to be a turn off.... but why not just get in the habit of hitting the safety off every time? even if the safety is off already... if you build it into your muscle memory it's not like your going to accidentally turn it on, you can only forget to turn it off. The 1911 safeties have to be the easiest ones to manipulate too.

Reliability issues is a whole different story tho.