Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDigz

Getting started in Archery?

So my GF is really interested in getting into archery and I know bupkis about it in New Jersey.

Do you have to go to an archery range to practice, or can you just set up a target in your back yard and have at it? If you have to go to a range, what's near to Morristown/Morris County?

Any recommendations on a cheap way to get into it? I'm a fan of starting new hobbies with a minimum outlay of cash. It's always easy to spend more later if it really take a hold in you.

ALOT of nj bow hunters practice in the of season in their back yard. As long as you're safe about your backstop and target you will be fine.

How tall is your GF. Depending how big she is she may fit better in a youth bow.

If youre looking to save some money up front buy used. Bows are just like cars, their are new models every year, and buying used can save you a ton of money.

Take her to a shop that sell used bows and have her try em out. Cabelas has a range in the store. My wife use to be really into archery. She didn't hunt at all she did tournaments and had a few sponsors so I can say they do make a lot of bows for women. I'd start her out in a field then go to your yard. If she wants to hunt she needs a bow that's 35 pounds or more and needs it before the class.

Depends on what you want to do with archery. 2 of my kids are in 4H and shoot between clubs. We use recurve bows. There is a very good store (A&M) in Lakewood NJ that has a good selection or can order what ever you need. Mike takes the time to make sure you get the correct fit. We shoot at the 4H club, in our backyard and at WMA ranges. Recurve are nice to start out in and are around $125 +- depending on what you buy. Compound start out expensive $400 and up at the beginner level and go into the thousands for serious bows. Arrows can cost from $5 each and up. Four target shooting in the back yard I have 8 hay bales and a target in the middle.

i started out with a compund and am happy. with a compound you have letoff weight, which meens, when you are at full draw with new modern bows expect anywhere from 75 - 85% let off. so if it is a 50 lb bow you will only be holing like 12 lbs at full draw. with a recurve bow at full draw you are still holding the full weight and that is harder to shoot.

The Hunger Games release will spark a lot of people interested in bows.

If you are in northwestern NJ, try YOJ Sports in Andover.

So my GF is really interested in getting into archery and I know bupkis about it in New Jersey.

Do you have to go to an archery range to practice, or can you just set up a target in your back yard and have at it? If you have to go to a range, what's near to Morristown/Morris County?

Any recommendations on a cheap way to get into it? I'm a fan of starting new hobbies with a minimum outlay of cash. It's always easy to spend more later if it really take a hold in you.

Black River WMA in Morris County has an archery range for practicing as well as Clinton WMA. One person would need a NJ license in their possession to use it. Depending on what town you live in, you can practice in your backyard. Many towns (at least up by me) have now included bows in their discharge laws. Most large sporting goods shops carry bows and a few have a small range inside for testing/practice/instruction. One up my way: http://www.targeteersarchery.com/

I would go as minimalist as possible starting out. Get a simple recurve bow with low poundage that would be easy for her to draw back. All you need then are arrows, target field points, an arm guard and a finger guard. You can learn the basics without a lot of jazz that comes with compounds and their special tuning for the individual, finger releases, custom rests and sights, etc. Just a thought.

Range close to you:

http://www.state.nj..../fgw/ranges.htm

Morris County

Black River WMA

Route 513 (Dover-Chester Road)

Chester

Shotgun, Archery

NOTE: Closed weekends from the third Saturday in May through the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, as well as on the Christmas and Easter holidays. Operating hours are 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. during this summer period, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the rest of the year. Hunter education classes will continue to be held at the range and will not be affected by these hours.

There is also a range at the Clinton WMA.

Also, as for purchase, fiitting, etc you can try Sportsmen's center in Bordentown. Those guys seem to really know their stuff.

http://sportsmenscen...om/Archery.html

+1 to this. Bought my first compound bow, arrows and case from these guys. they know their stuff and are great to help newbies out.

After reading the Hunger Games, both of my girls really want to try archery. They shoot rifles, but they / we can practice in the yard more often. I am trying to figure out the right size for skinny 12 y/o's.

I am 2 books into the series and am glad they read it. Now they understand Dad a little more about being prepared and wary of government control.

After reading the Hunger Games, both of my girls really want to try archery. They shoot rifles, but they / we can practice in the yard more often. I am trying to figure out the right size for skinny 12 y/o's.

I am 2 books into the series and am glad they read it. Now they understand Dad a little more about being prepared and wary of government control.

That depends on hieght and strength of the girl. My wife says getting a woman's bow and cranking it down low will last a lot longer. But a kids bow would be cheaper just in case they don't stick with it. If you have any more questions ask away. My wife was quite the archer so she knows all about women shooting. She was state and regional champ and had a nice list of sponsors.