http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/db_102380/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=yhYZSMZf

Maybe this will lead to getting to hunt them more

PILESGROVE TWP. — Reports of coyote sightings in the township have been on the upswing recently — especially in the past week — and residents are being encouraged to be cautious of the animals.

Pilesgrove Township officials have received reports of coyotes approaching homes and residents, although there have been no reports of any attacks.

Officials are asking residents to be aware of the wild animals and to contact authorities if one approaches a person or home.

According to the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife, coyotes closely resemble small German shepherds with the exception of a long snout and bushy, black-tipped tail. Their fur is brown.

They prey on rabbits, mice, birds and other small animals including pets, as well as young and weakened deer and decaying tissue.

Coyotes are tolerant of human activities and rapidly adapt to changes in their environment.

Springtime is an especially dangerous time to encounter coyotes — females tend to deliver pups around April and May, and they can become combative as they forage for food for their pups, according to Fish and Wildlife.

Coyotes primarily hunt rodents and rabbits for food, but will take advantage of whatever is available, including garbage, pet food and domestic animals that are left unattended.

Attacks on humans are rare in New Jersey, but can occur.

Fish and Wildlife offers tips on taking precaution with coyotes, including: Never feed a coyote; bring pets in at night; be wary of feeding pets outdoors; put garbage in tightly closed containers; and monitor small children outdoors.

If coyotes are present, make sure they know they’re not welcome by making loud noises, throwing rocks, or spraying them with a garden hose.

More tips and information on coyotes can be found online at www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/coyote_info.htm.

If you observe coyotes in the daytime that show no fear of humans or if a coyote attacks a person, immediately contact your local police and the Division of Fish and Wildlife.

The Woodstown Station of New Jersey State Police can be contacted at (856) 769-0775.

Fish and Wildlife can be contacted at (908) 735-8793; outside of normal business hours call the DEP Hotline at 877-WARN-DEP.

To reach the Sunbeam newsroom, call (856) 935-1500 or send an email to [email protected].

I was out backpacking over the weekend and a pack of coyotes were circling our tent site, it's happened a couple times but never this close

Even though it causes a little anxiety, it was still pretty cool.

This wouldn't have ended well for the coyote if it was my camp site.

i didnt go out once this year but night time coyote hunting is fun... on a warm night full moon have your electronic caller big a** gun light....ive never shot one but have had them come in to where i can here them but not seen one o well still fun being out there at night

Just camp out one night along the Delaware and you won't believe the number of coyotes out there.......they pack up at night to hunt in family groups and as the other post mentioned, are camp site was circled many times in one evening in the dark.....also had a Cougar come in and pass us while moving through Sussex County.......they're out there.....you can bet on it.

Yeah that one has some size to him.

Here's the poop! Biologist have found Great Lakes Wolf and K9 dna in Eastern Coyotes.

Notice the wolf like posture. That mix is the worst possible combination. Animals are getting bigger and fear man less.

During the summer I hear them yapping a night in my field. The rabbit population has thinned noticeably. I've only seen them (one at a time) but a few times over the years.

I got a good laugh out of this statement:

"If coyotes are present, make sure they know they’re not welcome by making loud noises, throwing rocks, or spraying them with a garden hose."

I've some more useful things that make noise. Any survivors will know that they are not welcome.

I'm going to try for coyote a couple times with the rifle this week before the season closes in N.Y. on the 25th. Haven't had the time to get out and it's just too d*** hot out already.

My season ended in N.Y. yesterday evening and I will concede that the few times I got out I came up empty-handed. Coyotes are crafty critters. Hunting them in the daylight is tough. I did get a lot of practice with my calling and I think I got a little better than when I started.

There's a lot up by me in NE Jersey (Ringwood SP, Sterling Forest,) it's just that these areas to hunt are tough to get in to as access and hunting is limited to preclude night hunting. Night hunters seem to be the most successful. New York has a liberal season, from Oct. 1st to March 25th. and depending on county, rifles are allowed as well as buckshot. The most successful hunters in NY use hounds to pursue them.

OK, I'm setting myself up for this. Why would anyone want to shoot a dog, wolf or coyote? Unless your a rancher/farmer where the Coyote is a problem, I don't see the point.

If the DEC game commissions in the tri-state areas (PA/NY/PA) see fit to put such a liberal hunting season on them, there must be reasons other than wanton blood-lust for trying to keep their numbers in check. Outside of natural disease, they have no predators besides man to keep their numbers in check. Trappers take more coyote & fox in New Jersey than do hunters with firearms or bows.

Coyote impact other game populations where they prey on those particular species. Deer, turkey, grouse and rabbit are most impacted by them. And in areas that are in proximity to the suburbs, they can easily prey on domestic animals. In New York, the raccoon, red & gray fox, skunk, opossum and weasel hunting season is almost five months long with no bag limits. While they seem like cute critters and one would question the reason they are hunted; it's because of the effect they have on other game populations like nesting turkeys, grouse, rabbits and turtles.

The state of Maine the past couple years has resorted to hiring "professional" hunters to cull coyotes from the deer yarding areas because they have impacted the herds so severely. This past year, in the upper reaches of the North Woods area, where they usually average 8'-12' of snowfall each year, they never had more than 26" on the ground. Deer are easy prey for coyotes whether in deep snow or no snow.

PS - Coyote pelts were fetching up to $38 apiece this year from furriers. Fox averaged $20.

Parker and When_shif, It's still a dog. Take out the deer, the food for coyote, if no food the coyete will go away. I'm not anti hunting. Just hunt the problem and the better tasting food. Please get the deer, leave the cayote and bears alone. This is so going to get back to me. Guys I am not anti hunting. I'm also not a hunter, but could be. With a little help.

A coyote is a coyote, it's not a dog. It's not just deer they prey on, but other species that are more ecologically unstable. Grouse and rabbit populations fluctuate in cycles every seven to ten years and their numbers impact (are are also an indicator of) the coyote and fox numbers. I've been pretty astute to my surroundings and have lived in Bergen County most of my life. We never saw coyotes or fox in this area when I was young. I see them quite often now. We have a kit of foxes born every year a hundred yards from my back door. They have a prime feeding ground in the United Water property and I suspect dine on geese quite often. I see at least two coyote a year hit on the GSP up by me. I saw a bobcat one night on Rt. 304 in Pearl River crossing 304N, not two miles from my house. One thing they all have have in their favor is they are so elusive, gifted with a great sense of sight, hearing and smell; so they are difficult to take as a game animal via normal methods. The hunting season closes before their mating season so as to not impact their breeding. We do want them around to serve their place in the food chain. But because man hunts for sport in this area and not for food or protection of his livestock, there has to be some method of game management to keep them in balance.

I remember a pack of wild dogs that used to roam the woods of Ringwood SP many years ago. They would run deer throughout the year and the rangers had to cull them when things got out of hand. Because they began life as domesticated pets, then were dumped by the side of the road because their owners didn't want them, they then acclimated to the woods because they are animals and they also had no fear of man. Deer are easy prey for a dog or coyote. In some states in the U.S., a dog caught running a deer in the woods can legally be shot by a hunter during the regular hunting season. (An old rule from bygone days that still holds true.) In Minnesota, one state that allows this, a dog's owner can also be fined $500 if it's caught chasing a deer.

http://hunting.outdo...ls-deer-photos/

In recent years, I have seen a few things out in the field that just leave a sour taste in my mouth re: hunting

There are way too many disrespectful idiots out there going unchecked. There is no level of respect for the animal. You only take the shot if it's a good kill shot- nothing less. You don't shoot to injure and you don't disobey the hunting regulations. I've seen it go the other way.

Another unfortunate thing is that a lot of these animals are forced into populated areas because of us. We just keep developing everything and anything to put up yet another Wal Mart, etc. I love hearing people say how stupid (xyz) animal is for being near or crosing a road. Funny how when you head out to a much less populated area, those sorts of things are very minimal. You get something that ends up scared as sh*t in a neighborhood because it was bascially forced there and then the hysteria starts as if its on a ravage killing spree. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

A dog...like a family pet? You've obviously have never seen a coyote in the wild.

Coyote is to dog as Mountain Lion is to cat.

Depends on the dog, but in general, I would say its more like leopard to cheetah.