colnar

Advice on not getting P2P in 30 days

When i filled out my pistol permits with my town i started talking with the woman. She said they have been swamped and the time frame doesn't start for them until they get the paperwork back from my references.

When i filled out my pistol permits with my town i started talking with the woman. She said they have been swamped and the time frame doesn't start for them until they get the paperwork back from my references.

Really, I'd tell them my clock started when I handed in my paperwork.. lol

So what if they take 2 or 3 weeks to get the letter out, who's clock is that on??? :facepalm:

I got the FID a few years ago, so I can't remember how long it took. I am still waiting on just the P2Ps from 2/1/12. According to what I was told on Monday, they are just now getting to January's applications. So if you put one in now, you are probably looking at 3-4 months.

Good lord. There are 6 handguns and 10 other rifles/shotguns that I'm "inheriting" from my late uncle (more like getting out of the hair of the family since no one else wants to deal with them). I suppose I should be happy if I have everything in my name by this time next year...

That's really depressing.

He may not have any choice. He cannot just issue permits in conflict with outstanding procedures and regulations promulgated by FIU. In any case, a permit issued in violation of plicy and regulations would end up having no force anyway if push came to shove.

There would even be a bigger problem if a Chief issued a permit in violation of outstanding policy and regulation and the recipent turned out to be ineligible or used the weapon to commit a crime.

Great way to make friends. In any case, a Mayor or "Police Commissioner" on the council has NO say over the running of the police department. This was made clear many years ago when these people thought they could issue orders to chiefs on the way they wanted departments run, permits issued, etc. A constant problem since they want DMV checks and other things to which they are not entitled. What they do do, is force decent chiefs out in disgust.

We should be clear. No one is asking to call in political favors to grant pistol permits to ineligible people. We are simply saying that a chief who prefers to sit on his hands because he doesn't like giving gun permits to law abiding citizens can be made to feel pressure from above. When a permit takes several months, the chief is the one either delaying the process or being instructed to do so by a higher up. Even if it is one of the chief's subordinates, he is still ultimately responsible. Escalating to successively higher individuals on the town/county level is one way to apply pressure, lawsuits being another. I am not particularly interested in being buddies with the police chief. If he followed the law and got paperwork done in a reasonable amount of time, I'm sure we'd get along just fine.

I deal directly with State Police barracks for my P2Ps.

It takes 60+ days.

Every time I apply I have to show my birth certificate.

The last P2P I applied for was already 11 past the issuance date when I got the call to pick it up.

The last 90 day extension I applied for took almost 30 days to process, so I had just 60 days left to make a purchase.

When I hear the advice to call the State Police when a municipality is not up to spec, I kinda chuckle.

UPDATE: I was told by the detective that they weren't able to call one of my references. They already have their letters back from the references, but now they want to call them and speak to them in person. Should be a few mores days hopefully. We shall see.

Colnar- To give you some perspective, first I called to get info on how to apply for my fid (august), got told that the next time i would be able to drop off my application would be in November...complete BS, but what do you do. The DT that was handling it, moved over to patrol, now there's someone new, surprising he doesn't answer calls for anything. So I just wrote a letter to the Mayor. Listen everyone "Up there" leans on the lower guys every now and again...or like they say, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil." Well, squeak squeak. good luck man.

Update, I wrote to the Mayor on Wednesday night, got an email back from his secretary yesterday saying that he was going to have the Chief personally look into it, and get back to me. Well 9 am this morning, I get a call from the DT in charge and get told that there was a mix up and my file got put into the completed pile. Wether or not thats true, I would have never known if I wouldn't have put the fire under their asses. Colnar- write the mayor and tell him how you love the 2nd amendment, even quote it, and how you are a tax paying citizen. Good luck.

Update, I wrote to the Mayor on Wednesday night, got an email back from his secretary yesterday saying that he was going to have the Chief personally look into it, and get back to me. Well 9 am this morning, I get a call from the DT in charge and get told that there was a mix up and my file got put into the completed pile. Wether or not thats true, I would have never known if I wouldn't have put the fire under their asses. Colnar- write the mayor and tell him how you love the 2nd amendment, even quote it, and how you are a tax paying citizen. Good luck.

There you go. Good deal. I hope the guy in the other thread that's willing to roll-over and get screwed is watching this thread. It may allow his balls to grow a bit.

Called today and talked with the detective. She said she has completed the background check and it is now going to the admin dept for processing and I should call back in 1-2 weeks to be safe. However, I head her discussing this with the admin clerk who said it the Chief usually signs them the same day she gets them on her desk. Hmmmm.... I will call back on Tues to see where it is.

If I am correct, according to the statues, the local PD must approve/deny your P2P/FID within 30 days of application. I called the local PD last week and was told they we just getting to Oct/Nov permits. I filed my on 2/1/12. I was looking for advice on how to proceed with prodding the local PD to "speed up" my permits. I already have a FID. I don't want to irritate them, but this whole process takes way to long. I know this is happening to everyone else.

Any advice?

A person I work with just applied for his FID card. He lives in a town that does not have a local PD so he had to apply through the NJSP. The trooper told him that the process time could be from 3 - 9 months and that if it takes longer he shouldn't bother calling to inquire the status because no one will return his call.

So now when I spoke to the DT on Friday, he was ready to issue my ID, great. Then it must have dawned on him that apparently my paper work showed that I had a DV RO initiated against me when I was 19, 13 years ago. So now he has to check in on this, mean while you think he would have done this already. So now he says that the town where it was issued would have to go through the archives to find it and wouldn't get back to him untill Monday. Seeing how long this process has taken and obviously has not been given the right atten, I figured I'll go to the town too and do my own inq, I mean if in fact I am not going to be able to get it because of this I want proof. When I went up I got the same answer, Monday. Yesterday I get a call from Records of this PD and am told that the file doesn't exist and just has the original complaint, that I would have to check with County, ok No problem. I go to county and find that sure enough the RO was dismissed the following week that it was issued by the Complainant and a Superior Crt Judge. So what's the hold up now???? Lets see, guess I have to start making phone calls.....

DAMN..... I actually feel "lucky" I get my 'permission slips' in 4-6 WEEKS and for multiple pistols at a time.

Does NOT surprise me the NJSP *seems* to be virulently opposed to YOU (mofo) from having a 'gun'... Oooo, Ahhh.

Also, I've heard these 'oh, paperwork, not complete, the Guy's on vaca, oh, we misplaced your file in somewhere else, 'oh, still waiting on refs' even though your cop buddy sent it out 3 wks ago. Non of this BS surprises me any more. NJ is the wanabe UK of Europe.

Heck, mine as well start converting to Euros.

Got a call from LPD today. My permits are ready and I went and collected them. Weird thing though, I had to get photographed for their records. Never had this before, though it has been a few years since my FID. Is this common?

Got a call from LPD today. My permits are ready and I went and collected them. Weird thing though, I had to get photographed for their records. Never had this before, though it has been a few years since my FID. Is this common?

No, and if it was a condition for getting your permits, it was illegal

that's just crazy, I'd call evan nappen.

My local PD photographed my wife and I when we first applied for our FID's 2 months ago, right in front of our 5 yr old daughter... (oh, the questions that followed...) Right there in the "mug-shot" room, next to the criminal in the jail cell next to us with his wonderful "smell" of piss and all... so, are you sure that the photo's were illegal??? That would make 3 laws broken during our process from what I've read.... funny, I still haven't broken a single law in my life (well, I did have 2 traffic tickets in 44 years), but they've broken 3 laws in just 2 months just to find out that I've never broken a single ONE???? I LOVE NJ !!!!!

There is a real Catch 22 here. The decision was rendered on the basis that the PD did not receive the FBI / SBI reports in a timely manner. Please note the date of this decision - it was 16 years ago. With digital fingerprint and criminal history databases, what once took weeks, now only takes minutes.

Here's the problem, there is no oversight. How do we know that the PD performed with due diligence in the submittal of fingerprint and criminal history checks. We don't, and, here's the Catch 22, there is no way that we, as applicants, can get the PD to disclose when they were submitted - because the reports are part of the background investigation and the NJAC (13:54-1.15) says...

But don't e-prints taken at Morpho go directly to the FBI...and then those results sent to your local permit issuer? So it's not that the local LEO didn't send them off...it's that they just take their time when they get the results.